Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 80,142 times

Advertisements

Talked with the people at Sun River, Interesting large number of people from Michigan,Ohio,Indiana are residents. Many people come stay for a few days in a villa (No high pressure selling) and then take some time to decide if it works for them. LDS is not a factor at Sun River, thats not to say there are no LDS it's just not an issue due to the number of people from around the world on site.
OK, so we booked 3 day stay for Sept. 2010 Will give a report when we return. I would think it would take 6 months or more to make a move like this from the mid west to Utah. having to down size and sell a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM

99 posts, read 316,077 times
Saint George is a great place to retire. But if you decide to purchase ask about the Blue Clay and ask Sunriver if the new freeway is still going to be built thru Sunriver.

Goodluck...Any more questions let me know.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,233 times
While you are in the area, why not check out Sun City Mesquite about half an hour away. Also, check out where the flight path into the new St George Airport will be.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check it out and post a reply when I return.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Blue Clay ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingsucks View Post
Saint George is a great place to retire. But if you decide to purchase ask about the Blue Clay and ask Sunriver if the new freeway is still going to be built thru Sunriver.

Goodluck...Any more questions let me know.
What is Blue Clay ??? Like in the ground ??

Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Here is an old news story about the clay:
ksl.com - Expanding Soil in St. George Can Be Problematic

Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM

99 posts, read 316,077 times
We bought our house five years ago in Santa Clara Heights. We found out later that its built on pillars but about the second month into owning it it rained for a couple days and couple days after that the house started to crack. We are from California so asking about the soil wasnt something we thought about. About a year later it rained on and off for a month and our garage floor, which isnt on pillars and its floor is not connected to its walls started to lift. By the end of the month our garage floor lifted almost four inches literally taking the kick plate and the door trim with it. So we had to remember to step up into the garage before we stepped down into it. Then over time our front and back porches started to pull away from our home. The porches are wrapped around the pillars that hold them up so we were afraid they would tear them along with the roof also. Our front of the house window one day just had a crack all the way thru it. That cost $800 to replace. If you drive by the house today you will see it is cracked again. We tried to find a lawyer in town because the sellers marked on their disclosure that there were no soil issues. But were outsiders and almost everyone is related to each other or did business with each other and the lawyers that would help us said that the lawyer cost would cost us about the same amount as we got out of these sellers. So after three years I finally gave up. If you look in the city records for the properties they usually have a sheet in there from the city saying they are not responsible for soil problems but the city continues on giving out building permits. The weird thing is half my neighbors have the same problem but the other half doesnt. If a realtor tells you the house is on piers or the blue clay has been dug out it doesnt matter its still an issue. Just look at the money the church across the street from my house has spent on keeping the church from cracking...millions..

Sorry i dont want to be so negative but I wish someone would have warned us .

If you need any more info send me a personal message.

Good luck

Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Thanks for the blue clay info

Not an issue I would of thought of. We had blue clay in Michigan but it was never a problem. I would guess because it never got a chance to fully dry out. If I were to buy in St.George it would be a resale not new property. But still good to know.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM

323 posts, read 956,818 times
I'm anxious to read your review as well.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM

404 posts, read 1,188,233 times
Cop 2, another thing you might want to consider is taxes. I am making the assumption that you are a police officer who will have a pension. As a resident of Utah you will be taxed (state) on those funds, in Nevada you will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George