U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 AM

9,930 posts, read 22,132,137 times

Advertisements

I went in to check out local news last night and it now expects me to pay to view info. When did they change this? It was always free before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:05 PM

18,455 posts, read 19,465,248 times
I don't know when they changed, but I think as newspapers struggle, you will see more of this in the future.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM

239 posts, read 830,063 times
I think it was about a month ago. It upset a lot of people. I can see where papers need to do that for revenue, but the Spectrum has never had the greatest reputation among residents, for coverage and delivery. So this was the final straw for many. They still promote the page heavily on Facebook and there are others who are frustrated at clicking on a story and seeing that padlock!
Try these
Dixie Press - St George News
KCSG Television - KCSG Television Your Window to Southern Utah
SouthernUtah.com - Welcome
Cedar City News - News, Newspaper, Classifieds, Events and Businesses in Cedar City Iron County, Utah

Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM

18,455 posts, read 19,465,248 times
toby04, Thanks for the links, most helpful.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

159 posts, read 483,999 times
I know it's addictive to enjoy being able to read local news happenings on-line, since most of us rely on TV stations up in Salt Lake City for news.

But you;'re definitely not really missing out on much by not being able to read the Spectrum on-line for free any more.

Whatever revenue they're generating from the paid on-line service isn't resulting in quality reporting or less advertisements.

The only reason I'm still subscribing to the paper is because I can usually justify the subscription cost by the monthly savings I get using the Sunday coupons, but that seems to have dropped-off over the past couple months, so I'll probably cancel my subscription the next time I'm really frustrated by the paper.

I know all papers are hurting these days, but the Spectrum is way overpriced for the content you actually get, unless you enjoy obituaries & religious stuff.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 PM

239 posts, read 830,063 times
I have noticed lately when i click on an article from Facebook, sometimes I can read it, sometimes it is locked.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM

159 posts, read 483,999 times
I've got the Monday (29 NOV 10) hardcopy issue of the Spectrum in front of me now. It's as thick as a dime, and of course, about 80% of the content is advertisements, all for $.50!

Front page headline is "Shoppers log on for online deals" & the main story below that is "Storm frustrates travelers"

Content-wise, after advertisements, the majority of the content is sports.

In a way, it is WONDERFUL that there's just not enough news --good or bad-- in this region to generate content on a daily basis. Even Sunday's newspaper is about 1/8th the size after you remove all the advertising inserts, and still, the actual Sunday newspaper is about 70 - 80% advertisements.

It's embarrassing & a rip-off. Their owner, Gannett, needs to drop the Spectrum's publication down to maybe a 3 days a week in order to increase the useable content (two pages of obituaries doesn't count...) to make the Spectrum come close to being worth 50 cents, OR just do the inevitable & drop the print version altogether & try to figure how you can make a profit with an on-line only version.

As it is now, The Spectrum & Daily News sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George