Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,851 times

Advertisements

I'm taking early retirement and planning to move to southern Utah next spring. My dilemma is St. George or Cedar City? I drove through Cedar City on my way to Arizona a couple years ago and found it really beautiful. I have not been to St. George but have seen enough pictures to know it is equally beautiful. Really love all the red rocks! Cedar City is less expensive and cooler in the summer but I'm concerned about the altitude. I don't like oppressive heat but I'm not sure I can acclimate to the altitude in Cedar City. Would appreciate any comments as to anyone's experience living in Cedar City. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
That which needs dwelling upon when in the Southwest is alitutude, whether living or traveling somewhere.

At 5900 feet, yes, cooler summers, but at the same time, much colder winters, colder than Salt Lake City at 4266 feet.

You also might want to check average annual windspeeds for that city, a factor often overlooked in relocating. Windchill will follow you everywhere in this entire world!

And, yes, in winter, you can quickly warm up about 60 miles south in St. George at 2880 feet, and St. Georgians, in summer, can cool off by driving 60 miles north, or cooler yet to Deer Valley.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 AM

404 posts, read 1,195,256 times
We have only spent long weekends in Cedar but the altitude adjustment is minor. We have been fine in Cedar, however, we go up to the Brian Head area for day activities. The one time we stayed over, we both got sick from the altitude (base elevation is over 9000). In Beaver Creek, CO, we stayed at 8100 feet and were fine. Hopefully, someone who lives in Cedar can respond to adjusting for the longer stays.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
Something else to consider is how you like to shop, eat, entertain yourself. The choices in Cedar, while fine for some, pale in comparison to St. George.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM

148 posts, read 459,003 times
My daughter, son in law, and their Newfoundland moved to Cedar from Ft. Bragg, CA. I decided to leave the Sacramento/Orangevale, CA area and house-hunted thoroughly in Cedar and the St. George area. Although I didn't want to be that far away from where they were, I chose St. George because it was crazy-cold to me in Cedar. They moved from Cedar after two years. Only the dog loved it there. Wind, cold, and shopping were the main factors for leaving. Now they live in St. George/Santa Clara. I lucked out with my choice, because I now have a pulmonary problem I didn't know I had then. The altitude in St. George is plenty bad enough on a continual basis. If altitude is the concern you say it is, I'd not live in Cedar City.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
I have lived in Cedar City the past year and a half and absolutely love it. I have a home in St. George but my job is in Cedar, so I bought a place up here and rented out my home in St. George. As far as the altitude...it's about 5,800. I moved from the Salt Lake area, so I was used to the higher altitude. If high altitude bothers you I would go with St. George which is about 2,000 altitude. Are you used to HOT weather?? St. George is dry heat but very hot. I went to a softball game there last summer and it was 118 degrees. I couldn't take it. The nice thing about Cedar City and St. George is they are relatively close mileage wise. Once the softball game was over, I knew I only had to drive about 43 miles to get to the 90 degree weather again. St. George is beautiful but so is Cedar City. As far as shopping, Cedar City has everything I need because I rarely shop at a mall. If shopping is your thing, then St. George has alot of it. The Mall, outlet stores, Sam's Club etc. Cedar City has Walmart and a few other speciality stores. I also love the change of seasons and I happen to like snow, which you get alot of here in Cedar.
Hope this helps.!

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 AM

325 posts, read 962,463 times
Chickrae, can you tell me about the spring/fall weather in both cities? My wife is more interested in when you can use the outdoor pools.

BTW, we have our winter/summer retirement place, so she's more interested in how soon you can use the pool in the spring and for how long you can use it in the fall.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
I have never actually lived in St. George, even though I have a house there....bought it to retire there and never moved in it. So someone from St. George would have to comment on the spring and fal there. Spring and Fall are very interesting seasons in the state of Utah. Seems we don't see much of them. After winter, spring was suppose to be here and then it snowed in May in Cedar City and was quite cold. I don't remember much of a spring and now we are right in summer weather. I would say you should be able to use a pool in May and through September....if it doesn't snow.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM

148 posts, read 459,003 times
The outdoor pools (2) at the clubhouse where I live in St. George are heated May 1 and "closed" (no heat) Oct. 1. I don't know if cold swimming is allowed in the other months, or if covers are on. Think the second location one is totally closed Oct 1 to May 1, but the weather dictates use (except for the heater) at the main one. The indoor pool and spa are always heated. Late spring and early fall are good here.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenSG View Post
The outdoor pools (2) at the clubhouse where I live in St. George are heated May 1 and "closed" (no heat) Oct. 1. I don't know if cold swimming is allowed in the other months, or if covers are on. Think the second location one is totally closed Oct 1 to May 1, but the weather dictates use (except for the heater) at the main one. The indoor pool and spa are always heated. Late spring and early fall are good here.
And just a little further south of St George in Mesquite, our HOA pool opens April1 and closes mid-October. Both of our neighbors have pools--- we really only see them in their pools (unheated) from mid-May through Oct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George