U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,018 times
Default Highest speed internet service

I just purchased a house in St. George. What company or companies offer the highest speed internet service. So far what I have found is pretty slow. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 49,772 times
We have found Skyview to be very fast. It is a microwave high-speed internet provider that also provides VOIP services. Their prices are very reasonable and their service is totally awesome.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:58 PM

160 posts, read 259,381 times
Speed is relative.

I moved here from Silicon Valley, and the throughput the various systems here in SW Utah (MMDS & cable) are SLOW in comparison to what I had from Comcast in Redwood City.

I too have Skyview/InfoWest internet service, which is actually a 2.4GHz directional link from my home to a hub on a mountain about 8 miles away line of sight (the system is technically known as microwave multipoint distribution system).

Their claimed 7MBPS *bursts* service plan I have costs me $50/month. The REALITY is that 90% of the time, I cannot watch even a medium-resolution Youtube streaming video without frequent pauses. This occurs at all hours, not just 'rush-hour' server/MMDS time periods, and I have a modern, fast computer.

I never, ever thought I'd miss Comcast, but I do...

You may have no choice but to go with MMDS, depending on whether your neighborhood is actually wired for cable yet, but I think cable would be at least a little faster if you can get it.

I had a horrible experience with Baja Broadband when I first moved here. A salesman showed-up at my door, I signed-up for service. The quickest installation was a month away. After 1 month, there were more delays. Once the installation tech actually showed-up at my house, almost two months later (so that's almost two months without Internet or TV -- pretty painful!), he quickly realizes that my neighborhood wasn't even wired-up for Baja Broadband cable service! Utter insanity...

Later telling my experience to someone in the local cable/satellite TV & Internet industry, he wasn't surprised at home Baja Broadband had screwed me over & indicated that they have a reputation for buying small, existing cable TV/Internet markets cheap, trying to spike the number of customers, and then selling the system to someone else for a quick profit.

Anyway, don't expect truly state of the art Internet/Cable TV systems here in SW Utah -- there isn't a big enough market to justify the infrastructure, nor is their fierce competition.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM

56 posts, read 129,156 times
I have baja broadband's slowest internet cable service (the $35 per month one). I have a slow older laptop, and can stream hd videos off of youtube with no pauses.

After about three months I had an intermittent problem of the connection dropping randomly. A tech came out, and of course, it was working fine. He gave me his number and told me to call him as soon as I was having an outage. I called him when it was happening again, and he figured out that the underground cable from the pole on the other side of the street to my house was flaky. A crew came out the next day and installed a new line with almost no interruption in service. A year later and I think I've only had one outage that I've noticed that only lasted a few hours........ I'm home a lot, and am always streaming Pandora music. I would have no problem recommending baja. I came from Silicon Valley as well, and would never recommend comcast to anyone.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,150 times
I'm not from st. George but I will move to this city for education. I'm not even from the USA, I'm from Ukraine. Here I have high speed Internet (up to 150 MpPs) only for 20$
I want to know highest available speed in st. George. Tell me please.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 AM

46 posts, read 96,438 times
Default Phone/Internet Service

I just had to open this thread again.

My wife and I will be furnishing our St. George home we purchased last spring very soon. One of the things we need to consider is phone/internet service. The previous owners have Century Link. They say it is "not the best." Here in the Chicagoland area we have Comcast (which I find to be very good).

I am more concerned with my internet than my phone service. Once connected I will be hooking up a wireless router as well.

As always, I greatly appreciate any and all feedback!!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM

102 posts, read 147,994 times
My husband is a tech with a company that works for Baja. We have CenturyLink in our home right now, and it's fast enough, but my husband says it's because we are close to a hub. He wants to switch to Baja when we move because even the slower speeds they offer are still faster than CenturyLink. I think he would recommend Baja over any other internet provider here in St. George (not because he works for them, either).

Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

66 posts, read 118,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFMomma View Post
My husband is a tech with a company that works for Baja. We have CenturyLink in our home right now, and it's fast enough, but my husband says it's because we are close to a hub. He wants to switch to Baja when we move because even the slower speeds they offer are still faster than CenturyLink. I think he would recommend Baja over any other internet provider here in St. George (not because he works for them, either).
Baja works fine for me. My speed today on speedtest.net is 13.96 Mbps download and .92 Mbps upload, with pings at 37/ms. Cost is $48.99/mos.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM

46 posts, read 96,438 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you both very much for the input.

The wife will be out next month for a couple of days, and both will be out for a week in March to really get things rolling. Once June hits she will prob spent about 10 weeks in the land of the red rocks.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM

194 posts, read 208,455 times
What's the fastest bundle baja has? I'm paying $120 for 50 mbps with cox in Vegas atm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: