U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM

159 posts, read 483,818 times

Advertisements

I love exploring the region -- both the communities as well as the rugged, rural areas, and lately I've been reading-up about the Mt. Trumbull & Mt Logan areas, in the 'Arizona Strip' about 30 miles S of St George in the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument area.

I've got decent BLM maps, GPS, two-way radio & emergency supplies, but what I do NOT have is a good 4WD vehicle with off-road tires & high clearance.

What I do have is a brand-new all-wheel drive 'crossover' vehicle with street tires & average ground clearance. I sure don't want to get stuck, a flat tire way out there in the boonies, or my new car beaten-up. I've gone on plenty of hard-packed dirt roads without getting too nervous, but the loose sand ones scare me now (I have been stuck in the distant past, and that was with a 4WD!). I will have innocent little doggies waiting at home for me, so I can't afford to be stuck way out in the middle of nowhere for 6+ hours.

If anyone is familiar the drive from the St George area out to the Mt Trumbull area (& other landmarks around there, such as Tuweap/Toroweap, Mt Dellenbaugh & Mt Logan), I'd love to hear what you have to say about the road(s), and any interesting things you've seen out that way.

I've read that there was a large mining operation, finally shut-down in 1958, in an area called Grand Gulch, and I'd love to see that too, since I've found some historic photos of it.

So, just trying to start gathering some intel, from people who have been there & done that, about what all there is to see (I'm primarily interested in 19th & 20th century human history), and what the roads are generally like.

I'd be going after the temps start to cool off, but before the rainy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM

18,442 posts, read 19,455,598 times
Might want to check with these folks.

Pine Valley Ranger District (435) 652-3100
196 East Tabernacle Room 40
St. George, UT 84770

Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM

77 posts, read 48,725 times
Depends on how much rain there has been. If its rained a lot it might be iffy otherwise its a fairly well maintained road.
There was about a 2 mile stretch that is kinda rough but other than that its a nice drive.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM

159 posts, read 483,818 times
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George