U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM

498 posts, read 752,367 times

Advertisements

In once case, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM

596 posts, read 787,489 times
Can't take chango serious He's constantly on his mission to bash the LDS church and gets pretty rude.

Honestly I never had a problem. Listen to what they have to say, take the card or say "thanks I got plenty already haha" and leave.

No worries they won't throw you in the tub and baptize you.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,075,094 times
If you have been to any church owned (any church) owned and operated historic site, you will find that there are people there to answer questions about their religion. Or this is what I have found around the country. Remember their religion, is part of the history of the site itself. There is no way of understanding the site and it's history, without bringing religion into the conversation.

By asking if you are a member of the religion, is a way of finding the type of information you will need to understand the historic site. It is more, than just trying to say this is an old building, etc. It is part of the history of the site.

It is like, going to the revolutionary or civil ware battlefield sites. You cannot understand them, without knowing a little about what the war was for. That is why they dress up in costumes, etc., to try to recreate the feel of the times and make it a little more understandable.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM

210 posts, read 284,609 times
Well, he may like to stir up trouble, but personally I agree with chango in this case. I enjoy history, and especially Utah history since it is my family's history. I grew up here and used to visit all the old homesteads like Brigham Young's house in both SLC and St George and Jacob Hamblin's house etc. Before the church took over these places were maintained and staffed by volunteers from the area who were interested in that specific place. When you toured you would get interesting tidbits, historical information and a little background religion.
Now when you tour the missionaries are usually brand new to the area, didn't know anything about the houses or buildings before, and learn as they go along, but since they aren't there too long you may or may not get much history. Mostly what you get is a little bit of history to go along with the religion.

It bothers me. I remember the first time I took someone through the Beehive house after the missionaires took over. I had remembered all sorts of little stories they would share and architectural design info and their enthusiasm etc. Instead what we got was the basics of the house from someone from Peru who could hardly speak english and hadn't ever heard of Brigham Young until she came to SLC for her mission had memorized a brief information page about the house and regurgitated it. But of course we got her testimony at the end and a chance to fill out the card. It was a big let down, even my visitor, a world traveler and member was less than impressed. I personally haven't been back since.

These places are fascinating, and have so much real life history that was lived in them that it is sad to me that there is so little of that shared. The missionaries do the best they can, and some of them are real cute, and the money from the church has probably allowed the historical structures to stay open and viable so I don't often complain, but it does bother me.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,227,109 times
Did they happen to tell you that the, "the Mormons were in Utah Valley 600 years B.C.?" That is what the young women (sisters) told my family and I when we visitied Temple Square in Salt Lake. My mother told the sister that my husband and I lived in Lehi and this Sister said to my mother, did she know that Lehi was one of their profits and he and his followers were in the valley 600 years B.C.

And the funny thing is the Mormon religion is only like 150 years old.

Last edited by lauramc27; 12-19-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,227,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I don't think the OP said anything that implied they were shocked to find Mormons at Mormon history sites in Utah. The issue is being proselytized to while just wanting to learn about history. I'm pretty sure the tour guides at the Vatican aren't trying to convert people to Catholicism.
Thank you. I've been to quite a few countries and I have never had the Koran, Bible, etc...given to me while visiting. I have been to the Vatican and I didn't have one Catholic come up to me and question me as to my religion or whether I had a copy of the Bible.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM

4,564 posts, read 3,729,225 times
I consider myself an amateur historian of sorts. The problem with history is that I think is that it has often functioned as a propaganda tool for different organizations or countries. One reason that it can be so difficult to get accurate or truthful history is that their are many groups who are quite invested in perpetuating certain ideas or beliefs whether they are true or not. I want to remain topical, so I will speak first of Utah history.

I took Utah history in fourth grade. My textbook failed to mention anything about the Mountain Meadows Massacre which was a critical event in Utah history. I'm not sure if it dealt with polygamy or not. If it did, it was dealt with in a very cursory fashion. Brigham Young was presented as a great man who created a self-sufficient community out in the desert and presided over the exploration of huge sections of the Mountain West. This is all true. However, a completely accurate portrait of Brigham Young would mention he had over 20 wives with some as young as age 14. He was a great leader, but he was practically a dictator in some sense of the word. He presided over such failures as the "United Order" and trying to grow cotton in Southern Utah.

People who present history almost always have an agenda. "Join our organization". "Oppose this other group that is anti-American". "Contribute money to our cause".

The beauty of being an amateur historian is sorting all this out for your own satisfaction. One learns that the "real truth" is often fluid and hard to pin down. It almost always is somewhere in the middle rather than on one extreme or the other. Above all else, you won't win any friends by presenting true and accurate history. If you're lucky, your friends and family won't disown you.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM

14,116 posts, read 10,074,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Did they happen to tell you that the, "the Mormons were in Utah Valley 600 years B.C.?" That is what the young women (sisters) told my family and I when we visitied Temple Square in Salt Lake. My mother told the sister that my husband and I lived in Lehi and this Sister said to my mother, did she know that Lehi was one of their profits and he and his followers were in the valley 600 years B.C.

And the funny thing is the Mormon religion is only like 150 years old.
Good grief. You actually expect people to believe this nonsense? That pretty much tops the list of stupid posts I've ever seen on this forum.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 AM

596 posts, read 787,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good grief. You actually expect people to believe this nonsense? That pretty much tops the list of stupid posts I've ever seen on this forum.
a profit like Joe Smith?

Seriously I think I understand what she tried to say but I don't believe any sister missionary would tell such a nonsense. Probably they misunderstood it.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM

2,087 posts, read 3,673,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
People who present history almost always have an agenda. "Join our organization". "Oppose this other group that is anti-American". "Contribute money to our cause".
Um, no. I've been to countless historic sites, and have never been asked to support a cause or agenda. Yes, history always has a bias or particular point of view, but as has been stated, you're hardly getting any history here beyond what can be compiled on a few note cards. Everything else that is said is proselytizing. That has nothing to do with history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George