U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM

11,325 posts, read 10,130,960 times

Advertisements

I was in St George the other day and hit several historic sites in the area, including the Brigham Young winter house, the Jacob Hamblin House and Cove Fort (not in St George, but on the way). They were all beautifully restored and maintained BTW, and free admission was nice too...

Now I am a certified history nerd, old house nut and I recognize that Utah history post-1847 to the turn of the century essentially IS Mormon history, but honestly, does the LDS church maintain these places for education, cultural value, preservation or as lures to give the missionaries a chance to corner and bag you?

They couldn't get through one tour without trying to shove a book of mormon down my throat and/or get my information so I can be regaled with multiple visits at my home to "spread the Word".

I think it's terrible... It's gotta put a bad taste in any non-mormon's mouth, not to mention a spread a general lack of concern for the State's history, which in my opinion is fascinating.

The only historic site that was actually a pure historic site and not a preaching venue was the Mountain Meadows Massacre site. No missionaries there for some strange reason , though it is also well presented and maintained by the LDS church.

Why can't I learn state history without being invited to be baptized? Mommy, make 'em stop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 AM

339 posts, read 668,737 times
Even if you are The real King of Nothing- did you really expect to get something for nothing???

Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 AM

267 posts, read 208,749 times
[quote=Chango;21392991]I was in St George the other day and hit several historic sites in the area, including the Brigham Young winter house, the Jacob Hamblin House and Cove Fort (not in St George, but on the way). They were all beautifully restored and maintained BTW, and free admission was nice too...

Now I am a certified history nerd, old house nut and I recognize that Utah history post-1847 to the turn of the century essentially IS Mormon history, but honestly, does the LDS church maintain these places for education, cultural value, preservation or as lures to give the missionaries a chance to corner and bag you?

They couldn't get through one tour without trying to shove a book of mormon down my throat and/or get my information so I can be regaled with multiple visits at my home to "spread the Word".

I think it's terrible... It's gotta put a bad taste in any non-mormon's mouth, not to mention a spread a general lack of concern for the State's history, which in my opinion is fascinating.

Rhetorical questions for you--do you think you'll avoid Muslims while visiting Qatar? Do you think you'll avoid Catholics while in Rome? Perhaps you're getting my drift . . .

I ran into the same issue with LDS church members while visiting Salt Lake City. I visited a historical home and was asked about my interest in the LDS church. However, I expected it because I was, indeed, in LDS territory. No big surprise at all.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM

3,465 posts, read 5,063,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Now I am a certified history nerd,
1 - How do you become a certified nerd ?
2 - I guess they (those who certified you) forgot to tell you about those *crazy* Mormons in Utah while checking out local history ...

Just remember, in Utah, you *can not* get away form that phenomenon, no matter how many times you ask your *mommy* to make them stop !!!

Last but not least, how long have you lived around *crazy Mormons*, who do not want to leave you alone ?
They love you so much they pressure and pressure you for ever to become part of their *family* ???
Maybe you have lived here too long and have become like them and can not figure out things any more ???

Have you ever tried just kindly saying : *No thank you, I am not interested !* ??

You remind me of a long time ago when I was still working and went to many trade shows.
Most of those trade shows were often also visited by people looking for a job.
When I registered, the clerk asked me if I was looking for work.
I said "No!"
She gave a me sticker and it read: *I am NOT looking for work !!*
Maybe you need to make one up like that with the words, *No I am not interested*, and wear it everywhere you go in Utah ??
Can't think of any other fun way to make them stop ...

Hmmm ... maybe an idea to make money and make T-shirts like that ???
On the front : I am NOT interested in your religion
On the back : Keep your kids in line and keep them quiet.

Last edited by irman; 10-24-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM

498 posts, read 752,807 times
Perhaps you don't realize that these sites are staffed by missionaries. They may be old and they may not have black name tags but they're missionaries just like the sisters at Temple Square. The LDS church maintains and runs those sites for obvious reasons, and the odds are, many of the people interested in Mormon history are interested in the Mormon religion. Pretty basic.

Try to put yourself in their shoes. The tour guides most likely signed up to go on a mission because they had a desire to spread their faith. Maybe they were excited to be assigned to Brigham Young's winter house or cove fort, etc., maybe not. But I'll bet it would be pretty unsatisfying and tiring for them to continually face people who basically say to them, "Sorry folks, I just want you to tell me the facts not your opinions." They have a very tough job at times and often have very little to do/few leads to work with. Heck, I've been approached by missionaries at Temple Square while wearing a suit + tie and reading my scriptures. Sure, I don't exactly want to listen to their testimonies, but for all I know I'm the only one who will listen to them. If they're approaching me in the first place, they must be pretty desperate or feel unfulfilled. I sympathize with them for that.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 2,081,371 times
Fact: All of those historic sites, are owned by the Mormon Church.

Fact: They are open to the public, and the large percentage of the visitors are members looking at their history. They are there for their members.

Fact: They are also open to the public, and many of those visitors are interested in finding out something about the church. That is the reason they go there.

The people that are the hosts, will naturally ask people if they are members, or if they are interested in knowing about the church.

If you go to a Catholic historic site that is owned by the Church, you will get the same type of questions.

Same if it is owned by Quaker, Jewish, or other religious group. Go to the Custer Memorial Battlefield or similar American Indian centers, and you will get the same type of questions about your interest in American Indians.

If you don't want to have those type of question, why go to Privately owned historic sites.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 PM

3,713 posts, read 2,904,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The only historic site that was actually a pure historic site and not a preaching venue was the Mountain Meadows Massacre site. No missionaries there for some strange reason , though it is also well presented and maintained by the LDS church.
America's original 9/11, 1857 version. This horrible event is a bleak page in US, Utah, and LDS history. My only visit to the site was back in the early or mid 90's, when there was little there to commemorate what happened. Still very controversial as to what happened, who was responsible, and who gave the orders, only in the last few years have Mormons openly discussed and acknowledged what happened. Some rumors have it that there are a few Utah families that do know the details, having had them passed down word of mouth from generation to generation, but that they are not talking.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,674,955 times
I don't think the OP said anything that implied they were shocked to find Mormons at Mormon history sites in Utah. The issue is being proselytized to while just wanting to learn about history. I'm pretty sure the tour guides at the Vatican aren't trying to convert people to Catholicism.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM

498 posts, read 752,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I don't think the OP said anything that implied they were shocked to find Mormons at Mormon history sites in Utah. The issue is being proselytized to while just wanting to learn about history. I'm pretty sure the tour guides at the Vatican aren't trying to convert people to Catholicism.
The tour guides at the Vatican probably aren't missionaries called to live away from their homes for the primary purpose of proselytizing either.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,674,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
The tour guides at the Vatican probably aren't missionaries called to live away from their homes for the primary purpose of proselytizing either.
In that case, perhaps the issue is that the LDS church shouldn't have missionaries giving tours of their historic sites. It seems that instead of encouraging people to consider the LDS church, it just turns them off from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George