U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,326,422 times

Advertisements

WARNING! WASHINGTON CITY,

Oh come on...most parts of Washington are nice...what the heck happened to you here. We live in Green Spring...off the I-15 exit 10, to the west of the interstate...very nice area, great schools (pineview)well kept homes, yes lots of mormons, duh its Utah. I would highly recommend checking out Green Spring. Washington Fields is nice, kinda far out....we are really close to Costco, Kohls, Home Depot...walmart, new restaurants and shops. Aside from maybe Kayenta and Ivins on the other side of St. George, I think Washington City is ideal...

To Hoody: check out Washington City...I quite frequently see the local p.d. cruising the neighborhood just WATCHING...I agree with C44, if I had been gone so long without telling anyone I can guaratee a neighbor or two would have called the p.d. to have me checked on. Someone has quite a grudge against something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 13,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post

Oh come on...most parts of Washington are nice...what the heck happened to you here. We live in Green Spring...off the I-15 exit 10, to the west of the interstate...very nice area, great schools (pineview)well kept homes, yes lots of mormons, duh its Utah. I would highly recommend checking out Green Spring. Washington Fields is nice, kinda far out....we are really close to Costco, Kohls, Home Depot...walmart, new restaurants and shops. Aside from maybe Kayenta and Ivins on the other side of St. George, I think Washington City is ideal...
If you actually read my original post, I never said that Washington City was a bad area or ugly place to live. I only said that it is corrupt town for various reasons and I just want to warn people to stay away from it so they can avoid what happened to me. Yes, Green Springs is a very nice new area if you can afford a $700,000+ house. I wouldn't want to live out in Washington Fields because there are no views on those overpriced homes and there will likely be noise from airplanes once the new airport is eventually built.

A friend who is a St. George native tried to start a business in Washington City and the city council gave him so much trouble, he had to go up north to Provo. They have an old way of thinking here in this town and quite simply it is corrupt from the top down.

Last edited by Warning!! Washington City; 08-30-2007 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,326,422 times
Ummm...I certainly don't own a $700,000 house here in Green Spring, gosh wouldn't that be nice?...there are a variety of price points here...If it were that expensive we would not be able to live here in our early retirement.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience here...a lot of folks DO like living in Washington City...anywhere you live there a problems...it's what you make of where you are...maybe there was a reason your friend had a problem. I don't know but Washington is A-OK in a lot of people's books.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,512 times
HI my husband and I are thinking about relocating to St. george next summer. We have a daughter going into that will be going into third grade. We are far from rich...we are a medium income household, I would love to find a great part of town, that is safe, with kids and a great school. We are catholic....from readimg some forums are religion's an issue? I want to know what people think about us moving and where is the safest and most "affordable" homes. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:16 PM

95 posts, read 436,873 times
Hi Hoody!

Boy, you have gotten several different views as to your concerns. I could only tell you what I have experienced.

I have been with Calvory Chapel since 1988 in Los Angeles. When we moved here in 2004, I was not aware there was a Calvory Chapel her in St. George. I contacted my church and was informed that there is a Calvory Chapel in the city of Bloomington (only 5 min from St. George downtown). Bloominton and Bloominton Hills are some other new locations you may want to check. There is a new school and most of my new friends that live in Bloominton have children and are happy living there.

You may want to contact Calvory Chapel in Bloomington since they can also help you with some of your questions. Calvory just opened a brand new christian school. I am not sure if you would be interested in that for your daughter. Santa Clara, Ivins, Kayenta, Dameron Valley, Leeds, Cedar City are not close by DRMC. I live near a Snow Canyon High School. There is a community called Country Lane. That is a family community where you will find most of your doctors, lawyers and professionals that live there and need to be close by their jobs and the medical center. There is a private community park there for the kids and they also have a LDS ward. The school is across the street, not far at all from the nearby new communities. There is also a new subdivsion called Seven Hills on Sunset and Tuweep. This community has more of a diversity of relocators from Nevada, CA, PA, New York, and the mid west. It is considered one to the safest communities, such as Corol Canyon, Country Lane and there is also The Avalons but the school is not close by to The Avalons. The costs of homes in the Country Lane community ranges anywhere from 500,000-900,000. The prices in Seven Hills division range upper 270,000-350,000. Bloomington is more of a country ranch older homes that have larger lots and many tree's as to the the communities within St. George there are very few tress but a beautiful view of the snow canyons.

As far as the resturants there are too many food chain, but you will find some non-food chain resturant that aren't too bad but not much of diversity cultural resturants like bigger cities.

Hey, but I can't complain it's gotten a lot better since we moved her 3 years go...there was only Applebee's and chilie's and few others, now there are like way to many resturants. I personally think we need a nice french bakery. There are sports bar and grills where you can enjoy watching sports while having dinner.

My recommdation is rent first and check it out for a few months and see if you like the life style here. Some people really love the way it looks but hate living here and some love the easy going life style and small town feeling. I really love it here. The views and Zion Nat'l Park and all the other beautiful national parks that Utah has to offer is amazing. However, the wages are low and the jobs are not promising and the benefits aren't too great but they are getting better. Working for DRMC is the best employer here but there are also politics and a lot of turn over. In fact, I've never seen so much turn over in the job market and working for different employers in my life!

I am not use to that at all. While living in California I worked for my last employer for over 15 years and knew my job was secure. Here it's a whole different philosophy. Employee's live and change jobs over and over to make a buck more because the wages are very low. It's something that everyone is mostly complaining about. I don't know who families make it here? Most of people have 2 jobs work 7 days a week to be able to have a roof over their head. Unless your a professional, like a doctor, lawyer, nurse (some), dentist, you'll make a something around 40,000-250,000's. Just make sure that whatever DRMC offers you that you have a written contract. Labor laws in Utah do accept contracts in case you are terminated for no reason but if you do not have a written contract it is a right to work state and can terminate you at any given time without notice.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:25 PM

YES, I'VE HEARD AND SEEN SOME PLACES CLOSE DOWN DUE TO POLITICS AND IT'S WHO YOU KNOW AND WHAT YOU PUT IN THE PALM OF THEIR HAND (SO I'VE BEEN TOLD). A FRIEND OF MINE HAD TO WAIT OVER 1 YEAR TO GET AN APPROVAL FOR THE LICENSE IN ORDER TO SERVE BEER IN HER RESTURANT, BUT YET THE CHAIN RESTURANTS GOT THEIR APPROVAL WITHIN A FLASH.

YEAH, IT'S DIFFERENT AND YOU JUST HAVE TO BE OPEN MINDED AND ACCEPT THAT IT WOULD BE LIKE LIVING IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. THERE ARE ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT CULTURES AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES LIFE INTERESTING.

Last edited by The Casselli's; 09-01-2007 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: ADDITION

Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM

33 posts, read 167,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post

YEAH, IT'S DIFFERENT AND YOU JUST HAVE TO BE OPEN MINDED AND ACCEPT THAT IT WOULD BE LIKE LIVING IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. THERE ARE ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT CULTURES AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES LIFE INTERESTING.
7/16" of an inch is the distance from the A key and the Caps Lock key. Try it. BTW, it's like living in another county, not country.

I read a questions about good restaurants - here is my list:
Scaldoni's (sp?) - Italian
Iggys - Sport Bar
Basila's - Mediterranean
Samurai 21 - Japanese Steakhouse/Sushi
Viors - Bakery / Sandwich
Sharky' - Organic Mexican (chain but good)

As far as places to live, I like Coral Canyon, Green Springs area, & Bloomington. If you have kids, avoid Washington Fields because the parks are scarce.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
C44

31 posts, read 100,120 times
Default Drmc

Why is there so much turnover at DRMC? How does one get a job there? I went to 2 interviews there, one was conducted by 6 KIDS-and I mean KIDS.
I knew I wasn't going to get either job the moment I walked in the interview as I did not look, dress or attended the right "Ward".
I worked at my last job for 12 years, I am articulate, educated, and personable. But I feel lacking here as though I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 PM

CARLESSBIKER, YES, I MEANT "COUNTRY". YOUR CHOICE OF RESTAURANTS ARE TYPICAL. I DON'T THINK HE MEANT THAT BUT EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT TASTE. I KNOW THAT WHEN I'M IN THE MOOD FOR SOMETHING AUTHENTIC AND CUTURAL, WE JUST TAKE A DRIVE TO VEGAS AND YOU COULD FIND ANYTHING THERE...NO BIG DEAL AND IT'S FUN! HOWEVER, IF YOUR NOT IN THE MOOD FOR LONG DISTANCE DRIVING, THERE ARE SEVERAL PLACES HERE. PERSONALLY, I DON'T CARE FOR IGGY'S SPORTS BAR AND GRILL, THERE PRICEY AND FOOD IS AN C- GRADE, BUT THAT'S JUST ME. FOR ITALIAN THERE ARE ONLY TWO CHOICES, EITHER SCALDONI'S (EXPENISVE BUT GOOD QUALITY FOOD) AND OLIVE GARDEN, SAMURAI 21 IS LIKE A BENIHANA'S (WELL KNOWN CHAIN JAPANASE FOOD) AND VIORS IS YOUR TYPICAL ITALIAN DELI AND SOUP PLACE, AND LAST AND NOT LEAST SHARKY'S IS LIKE (ANOTHER MEXICAN CHAIN FOOD ) "BAJA FRESH" VERY WELL KNOWN IN CALIFORNIA. THERE IS ANOTHER NEW PLACE IN TOWN "BENJI" THAI FOOD AND SUSHI BAR, BEAR PAW FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH ONLY, AND PAINTED PONY (EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT).

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Why so much turnovers at DRMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C44 View Post
Why is there so much turnover at DRMC? How does one get a job there? I went to 2 interviews there, one was conducted by 6 KIDS-and I mean KIDS.
I knew I wasn't going to get either job the moment I walked in the interview as I did not look, dress or attended the right "Ward".
I worked at my last job for 12 years, I am articulate, educated, and personable. But I feel lacking here as though I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.
C-44[color="Magenta"]Sorry, to say this but there is HIGH TURNOVER here in St. George and other cities in UT and not just DRMC. I'm surprised that you were not deleted by coolcats as to your statement " did not look, dress or attend the right "Ward" for the job interview at DRMC".

It's the same all over the place here in St. George, UT. Everytime I go to a hair salon the girls have left or booted out, medical clinics the same thing...either the doctors left or the staff quit or they were terminated or on maternity leave. Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx you name it....lots of turnover! There is nothing secure with employers here unless you own your own business or have the network with the LDS wards. I worked myself to death from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, drove several times a week to Vegas and far distance to see clients. I worked and worked sometimes without lunch. Came in on Saturdays when I was told. Didn't have much time to spend with my husband or friends. I wanted to show that I was loyal and dedicated but it didn't matter, I was replaced by someone who was from the employers family member and LDS. This is a fact. I filed a complaint with the Labor board and won. Sometimes, you have no other choice but to file with the labor board and have things investigated because it's just not right. However, everyone knows everybody and the word gets around. It's just not fair.

Last edited by The Casselli's; 09-05-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or