Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,496 times

Advertisements

My husband and i went to St. George in 2010 and again in 2011 and we are LDS. We dont look like your typical clean cut LDS couple. My husband has long hair and yes tattoos. My husband wanted me to see the red clay mountains because i have lived in Idaho my whole life and never have been to see them.

The last few years we have visited St. George the people were real friendly. So our lats trip there in 2011 we decided that we were going to move to St. George and Its now march of 2012 and we just bought a home in Coral Canyon and are moving next weekend. We love that area and the people. We just got back from getting our home and our trip was amazing...we went to Zion National Park for the first time and the people were GREAT! Even after we tell people we are LDS they still are freindly. And like i said my husband looks like a biker well i guess i should say he is after all we just bought our dream bike a 2012 Harley Davidson" So we are going to love riding our new bike through the red clay mountains.

So to those who say People in St. George only accept mormons THAT IS NOT TRUE......Mormons are just like anyone we are happy loving people And St. George is a beautiful place and that is where im am headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,032,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint123 View Post
bought a home in Coral Canyon
Please report back on the freeway and aircraft noise . . perhaps it's something you don't even notice after a while.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
this is crazy.........we moved here early March of 2012, I looked up this site to see how to meet people and make friends. So far I have read over and over about LDS and how accepting they are but when someone questions anything or is curious the posts answering seem to me pretty hostile. Here is my experience in Southern Utah. I am from Missouri, St. Peters. We accept all religions and all people based on their behavior and how they treat us. I have seen many prejudices here. People not being hired because of religion, people being treated disrespectfully, people being judged etc. Our neighbors children play with our children but I believe because we are not Mormon the parents do not go out of their way to befriend us. They are seemingly friendly and wave but do not converse or visit. Since I was a child we have visited many churches and was openly welcomed to serve without joining or just to visit. I was told here in Utah you must be invited to worship at their church....I have yet to get an invite. I believe that you can only "belong" here under certain circumstances. Which is too bad because I was so excited to live here and start a new life. Now I can't wait to leave. Didn't Jesus say to "love thy neighbor as thyself" ? I don't think he said "if........." My belief is that all people are created equal and should be treated with kindness and dignity. Just saying.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
I am not LDS but i can assure you visitors are welcome at regular Sunday services. The one place you cannot go is the temple. Not all Mormon people can go either- just the ones who have a "temple recommend" from their local bishop. I have never lived in StG but Mormons everywhere have a very busy schedule of church obligations. Sometimes I wonder where they find time to breathe LOL.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

27,997 posts, read 29,828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbradsher View Post
Since I was a child we have visited many churches and was openly welcomed to serve without joining or just to visit. I was told here in Utah you must be invited to worship at their church....I have yet to get an invite.
And if we actually "invite" people to attend church with us, we're accused of actively trying to convert them. I can just envision the comments: "We'd been living in our home for three months and our Mormon neighbors have already taken it upon themselves to invite us to church. Jeesh, what a bunch of pushy people!" Seems to me we can't win for losing.

As for how you've been treated in St. George, let me just tell you about my own experience living in Salt Lake City as a practicing Mormon. A number of years ago, my husband and I moved to a home in what we had always considered to be our "dream neighborhood." We lived there for six months, and then moved across town, taking a loss on the sale of the house we'd owned for just six months. The reason we couldn't wait to leave was that we were literally surrounded by the snootiest people I've ever run across in my life. Many of these people were LDS like us. Not only did they avoid us at church worship services, they avoided us at church social functions, and if we ever ran into them while grocery shopping, etc., they didn't even speak to us. I figured that it might be because we were just scraping to get by in that neighborhood, while most of them were quite wealthy. I don't know; I never did figure out the reason for sure. I'm just saying that if you were living there, you'd probably assume that you were being snubbed because you were not LDS. I know from experience that some neighborhoods are welcoming and friendly and that others aren't, and whether you're LDS or not, you can't necessarily assume it's a religious thing.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,821,141 times
I do not live in St. George itself or any of the surrounding small towns, but I do know the following:
1 - We used to go the certain events in St. George, and I asked what it was like *living and working* there.
Answer: If you like cliques, you will feel right at home, (and that is coming from people who live there !)
2 - My brother in law lives there (Washington) and he hates it there, but his wife loves it ...
I asked why he does not like St. George. His answer: Bunch of show-offs (he lives next to the Golf Course ...)
3 - I have several friends who live in Hurricane and Laverkin. They are NOT LDS, and they say that they love it there ...

So ... IF it is OK to live in the smaller outlying towns, is it only *certain* areas in St. George where the *problem* lies ?
Was *the old* St. George different ?
Lots of imports there now and a lot more *money* lives there, I think .

Old 06-02-2012, 03:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,723,300 times
There are numerous Christian Churches in St George area. The non Mormons make up almost 50% of the population so meeting non Mormons is not difficult.

Can you imagine someone with the hate for Washington City as the woman above, because she got a ticket and was fined for running a stop sign. Would not have happened, if she obeyed the law. But she won't take the responsibility for her own actions, and blames the city and the police for her own careless driving.

We left St George to move close to a daughter with health problems after living there 9 years. Found it was a nice friendly town to live in. People will treat you, as you treat them. When someone talks about bad areas of town, you think if places like Reno and it's problems. St George does not have those type of areas. You will find the place you want in St George very easy. The police have time to enforce the traffic laws, and not being out there trying to keep people safe and investigating crime like places like Reno keep their police busy.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 306,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbradsher View Post
this is crazy.........we moved here early March of 2012, I looked up this site to see how to meet people and make friends. So far I have read over and over about LDS and how accepting they are but when someone questions anything or is curious the posts answering seem to me pretty hostile. Here is my experience in Southern Utah. I am from Missouri, St. Peters. We accept all religions and all people based on their behavior and how they treat us. I have seen many prejudices here. People not being hired because of religion, people being treated disrespectfully, people being judged etc. Our neighbors children play with our children but I believe because we are not Mormon the parents do not go out of their way to befriend us. They are seemingly friendly and wave but do not converse or visit. Since I was a child we have visited many churches and was openly welcomed to serve without joining or just to visit. I was told here in Utah you must be invited to worship at their church....I have yet to get an invite. I believe that you can only "belong" here under certain circumstances. Which is too bad because I was so excited to live here and start a new life. Now I can't wait to leave. Didn't Jesus say to "love thy neighbor as thyself" ? I don't think he said "if........." My belief is that all people are created equal and should be treated with kindness and dignity. Just saying.
I have steered clear of this conversation because I like to avoid conflict. That said, our experience in Southern Utah has been similar to yours. In fact, it has been so similar that we are leaving next summer, sooner if we can get jobs elsewhere. Our daughter had a very difficult time at her first school here, no doubt because we aren't LDS. At her current school, it's a bit better, but there is more diversity there.

All of our non-LDS neighbors have moved, thus so have their kids, so my daughter's playmates are limited. Probably not so much because we aren't LDS as it is because they are, and have lots of commitments relating to church.

Everyone I meet here that is NOT LDS says the same thing-- the LDS folks are nice, but it's a superficial kind of nice. They will say hi, smile, wave, but there likely won't be any real relationship that develops. Southern UT is a GREAT place for retirees, regardless of religious preference, and it's a GREAT place for LDS families who are moving from up north to escape to the warmer (HOTTER) climate-- but if you are in your 30s, non-LDS, with kids, it's not such a great place to be.

You can flame me if you want, I am just sharing my experience here, which happens to go against what you hear on these forums.

Oh, and I have to comment on OldTimer's statistics. I did try to look them up to see if it really is 50% LDS here, because I had heard different statistics, but I can't find them anywhere. Either way, even if it is 50% LDS, the other 50% are widespread, both religiously and across the county- which is quite vast when you think about it. That still puts you in the minority.

There, my two cents on life in Southern UT.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,658,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFMomma View Post
I have steered clear of this conversation because I like to avoid conflict. That said, our experience in Southern Utah has been similar to yours. In fact, it has been so similar that we are leaving next summer, sooner if we can get jobs elsewhere. Our daughter had a very difficult time at her first school here, no doubt because we aren't LDS. At her current school, it's a bit better, but there is more diversity there.

All of our non-LDS neighbors have moved, thus so have their kids, so my daughter's playmates are limited. Probably not so much because we aren't LDS as it is because they are, and have lots of commitments relating to church.

Everyone I meet here that is NOT LDS says the same thing-- the LDS folks are nice, but it's a superficial kind of nice. They will say hi, smile, wave, but there likely won't be any real relationship that develops. Southern UT is a GREAT place for retirees, regardless of religious preference, and it's a GREAT place for LDS families who are moving from up north to escape to the warmer (HOTTER) climate-- but if you are in your 30s, non-LDS, with kids, it's not such a great place to be.

You can flame me if you want, I am just sharing my experience here, which happens to go against what you hear on these forums.

Oh, and I have to comment on OldTimer's statistics. I did try to look them up to see if it really is 50% LDS here, because I had heard different statistics, but I can't find them anywhere. Either way, even if it is 50% LDS, the other 50% are widespread, both religiously and across the county- which is quite vast when you think about it. That still puts you in the minority.

There, my two cents on life in Southern UT.

I dont know why this is a big deal. To me the ideal neighbor is one that just smiles or waves. I dont need to know their business, and they dont need to know mine

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM

102 posts, read 306,107 times
When you move to a place with no friends, and you don't work outside of the house, neighbors are one of the ways you connect with people. And, I don't think I specified neighbors only. This happens with people at the park (where one might think they could go with their kids and possibly makes friends), the library, splash pads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George