U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM

9,129 posts, read 9,215,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I dont know why this is a big deal. To me the ideal neighbor is one that just smiles or waves. I dont need to know their business, and they dont need to know mine
My first question for you would be are you single, married without children, or have your children grown up?

There are people in this world who are content to be "islands unto themselves" and this lifestyle can pretty much work if you aren't trying to raise children. It works very poorly for a family trying to raise children. I've pretty much learned as a father that there are certain things almost all parents want for their children. We want our kids to grow and develop physically, mentally, and socially. This is very difficult in a community where they have no one they can really play or associate with. On a practical level, as an adult, it can be hard to cope with young children who are always telling you that "they are bored" and that "that they have no one to play with".

I think, being LDS, I first became aware of this problem in my adolescence. I noticed that virtually all of my non-member friends eventually moved away from Utah. My LDS friends have virtually all stayed here. If you press people for reasons why they leave a community, often you won't get the correct answer at first. However, over time those that I stayed in touch with told me that they just found living in Utah to be too difficult because of the issue of making friends and doing anything social.

I believe the problem is a real problem and too many people here want to "put their head in the sand" and pretend it isn't real. I don't believe this problem is unique to Utah or people of the LDS faith. I'm sure it exists whenever a large segment of a community belongs to one religious faith. It probably also is true when it comes to issues of color, race, and ethnic background. My best advice for non-LDS people moving to Utah is to pick an area where some religious diversity exists. Salt Lake County is probably the most diverse area in Utah. Those who move into outlying areas are more likely to encounter problems and its best to go into it knowing that it is a reality.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 276,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I believe the problem is a real problem and too many people here want to "put their head in the sand" and pretend it isn't real. I don't believe this problem is unique to Utah or people of the LDS faith. I'm sure it exists whenever a large segment of a community belongs to one religious faith. It probably also is true when it comes to issues of color, race, and ethnic background. My best advice for non-LDS people moving to Utah is to pick an area where some religious diversity exists. Salt Lake County is probably the most diverse area in Utah. Those who move into outlying areas are more likely to encounter problems and its best to go into it knowing that it is a reality.
Mark, I just wanted to say thank you for acknowledging this. It is especially... refreshing (?) to this come from someone of the LDS faith because it sort of validates what I, personally, have been feeling. And I think you are 100% right on with your conclusion that it is likely not limited to UT, but other is an issue in other areas with a predominant race/religion.

I have a friend here, she used to be LDS, but she no longer is-- she said she thinks that STG/Washington County is quite similar to the Provo/Orem area. I asked someone I met recently who is LDS if she agreed with that statement, and she said she felt it was pretty accurate.

We should have gone somewhere with more diversity-- and had fully intended to settle in SLC, but it wasn't quite what we were looking for, as far as the city itself is concerned. So we kept truckin' so to speak. My husband says that STG is a GREAT place to visit, but not to live (for us). Like i said previously, I think it's an excellent retirement community; and a great place for young LDS families, but if you weren't born/raised in UT, and you aren't LDS, I wouldn't suggest moving to STG if you have children.

Oh, and I have add, your comment about "knowing that it is a reality," you took the words right out of my mouth. Problem is, no one that *is* LDS will admit it (I think you are the first person I have seen on here that does acknowledge that it might be a problem!), and if you aren't LDS and you say something, then people just say that you are making excuses as to why it didn't work out in UT.

Thanks for validating what I have been feeling.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM

21,865 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFMomma View Post
Problem is, no one that *is* LDS will admit it (I think you are the first person I have seen on here that does acknowledge that it might be a problem!), and if you aren't LDS and you say something, then people just say that you are making excuses as to why it didn't work out in UT.
Actually, quite a number of LDS people have commented that this problem exists in Utah County. Several of us (including me) have suggested that newcomers to Utah settle in the Salt Lake City area if at all possible. Things really are different here than in other parts of the state.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM

102 posts, read 276,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, quite a number of LDS people have commented that this problem exists in Utah County. Several of us (including me) have suggested that newcomers to Utah settle in the Salt Lake City area if at all possible. Things really are different here than in other parts of the state.
Ahh, but I wasn't referring to Utah county, specifically. I was referring to Washington County; or maybe even any other area that is not SLC. So, if you aren't from UT, and you have people from other areas within UT who are saying it is not a problem in that area, then you have to take it for what it's worth.

I don't want to get into any type of pi....ing contest over this. My opinion is what it is, and yours is what it is. I said in my OP that I avoided this discussion because I hate conflict, but when people do come out on here and say they don't feel they are fitting in because they aren't LDS, they tend to get flamed. I was simply trying to validate what those other non-LDS people are feeling, because I feel it, too.

Last edited by RSFMomma; 06-27-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
im 27 and grew up in st.george...i grew up in green valley, then moved down town by the old woodward sixth grade center...then i joined a sureno gang...there were several gangs there in the late 90's..florencia 13, dog town 13, rebels 13, baby blue surenos, lsg and a few more...dixie downs is my old hood...ive done so much dirt there....fyi dirt means crime...anyways ive grown out of that life style after years in prison as a kid and an adult...its actually cleaned up alot over the years..the city has torn down a lot of the old trailer parks..

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM

119 posts, read 180,176 times
I have never seen a city built so weird. There is no true family suburb. You can drive down valley view drive for about 1.5 miles and have section 8 housing, moderate income housing, suburb style family housing, a few million dollar homes, condos, PUDS, all next to each other.

I lived off of valley view in a nice neighborhood, we are a multi-racial, multi-religion family (part LDS part catholic) and I had a issue with how the schools handle the difference in income. In elementary it was hard with kids coming from homes values at 2-3 million dollars at the same school with section 8 kids. I have lived in big cities and it can work but these schools have no training, no real guidance counsulers(for school physchologists) so the class difference was very problemtic on the west side.

I found if you have a family or plan one finding an area that is as much residential as possible is best. Sometimes it means not a brand new granite filled home, but having a sense of community and good schools. Old Bloomington, Bloomington hills and little valley would be my choices. I like my house a lot less living on the east side of town but I like the schools better and the neighbors have a sense of community(not religion, just have block parties, out playing with the kids, holiday traditions).

I have not experienced any race issues, religion issues only with my one daughter who is outspoken about her career path.

You could not pay my or give me a free house in the snow canyon or Dixie high area but I have kids and value education. I know drugs are everywhere. I know plenty of LDS kids that have gotten into drugs. the sad fact is that most parents knew there are bad drug issues at 3 of the 4 high school but feel if their kids stay with a select group of friends they will be okay. NOT TRUE! My husband grew up in a large LDS family down here and 2 of his brothers made some bad chocies in high school and beyond, one was able to change, the other is still in the vicous cycle 15 years later. I feel that breaking a drug habit here is harder. You are judged harder, the economy is bad, the rental market is bad...so you just fall into the same group over and over. If you have a high school diploma you are lucky to make $8-9 so you can't afford you own place, you rent with friends..and it continues. Mental health help is also so lacking. You have to be in jail or about to hurt yourself or someone else to get any help. The lds church does offer a program, but it is usually after the fact, not preventative but at least it is something.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,848 times
As the Californians continued to pour in we will be having more "areas to avoid."

Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,130,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIck B. View Post
As the Californians continued to pour in we will be having more "areas to avoid."
Why? Californians take their money and investment where they move to. Investments equal jobs. Jobs equal prosperity. I wonder why almost every state tries to lure California companies and their employees to their state? The St. George area needs an influx of investment from other areas to prosper. There's no way that they will do it on their own with what they got. NEVER.

-Cheers.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
my last experience in st. george as a visitor was very unpleasant. the young cab driver almost got into a serious accident due to his violating traffic laws, he then insisted that i give him a big tip. all of his customers tip him well, this after he almost gets both of us killed. (drugs) later i had the same driver take me out to do errands. I left a small bag in the cab to step out to an atm. he took the lock off of the bag and stole over $200.00 in cash out of the bag and small toiletry items. years ago 2005, st george was a beautiful serene and spiritual place. it has been infested with drugs and the big city mentality. no thank you! i will spend my vacations elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:06 AM

60 posts, read 103,403 times
First of all, to you people ignorantly posting the populations of the city and county, here it is according to Wikipedia/Census Bureau...As of 2012, the city had about 75,500 people. The county had about 145,000. So today you can bet the city has over 80,000 and the county is pushing over 150,000.

Dixie Downs in a nutshell is primarily lower income/poverty level dwellings and is the most racially diverse neighborhood in all of southern Utah according to an article I read several years ago. Many people will refer to the area as a drug haven, but like in most cities, the drug problem is pretty evenly spread throughout. It is by no means the ghetto, however, as some locals will refer to it as (Lol).

Downtown, being the oldest part of town expectedly has some urban decay and drug house issues, but is relatively kept clean compared to most cities I've been in. It is safe to say that a majority of the city is newer development as it's a fast growing city.

Last edited by tylerhaynes3; 04-13-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or