Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,984 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking to move for quite some time now. We are both 24 with 3 beautiful children. Two young boys and a baby girl. I make minimum wage which is 7.65 plus tips and my wife is a licensed massage therapist. We are both very intelligent. Family oriented and drug and alcohol free. Our main problem is we started a family before we had time to develop a strong career or college education. What kind of job and housing market could we expect from st George? I have seen that housing is a little expensive compared to state minimum wage. We would like to move to fairly nice neighborhood with good schools for our children. Are there many entry level jobs with room to grow into a career in st George? Is there a strong market for a massage therapist there? I know my post is very scattered, I am just very interested to hear what life is like for lower middle class people in St George?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,782,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portugalthedan View Post
My wife and I have been looking to move for quite some time now.
A few more months longer would not make a difference ...
So, if you have a way to come to St. George, on a vacation trip, then I strongly suggest to do so.
Then while here, look around, check out the want ads in the local news paper. Even drop down to Mesquite and check out that area.

For your own sanity, think twice before you *just pack up and come*, without a job, or a place to stay.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,984 times
That is what we were thinking. Hopefully come check out the area around march.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 10,175 times
I, too, am interested in this as well. Like the OP, my wife and I are thinking of a possible move to St. George in the coming month for work but have many reservations.

I've been reading many, many St.G-related threads on various topics, and this "topic" seems to be a factor of life in St.G: we are not LDS. So, now that that's out there...

The work thing isn't an issue with me. My company, based in SLC, is starting a satellite bureau there within a month and they need someone of my skill set to work in the 2-man office. So, I'll be fine.

However, it's the wife and our 3 small kids (4.5yr, 3yr, and 5 mos) that I have the most concern for. While I'm out and about working, she and the kids will be at home, or out and about, doing what they need to do. But what about a social network for her and the kids? Is it easy for a young, non-LDS family to meet others? Are the kids really picked on in school? What is the church life like for a Christian family? (SMCC? Calvary? etc.)

Many of the threads that I've been reading are all a few years old, some as recent as 2010. This thread, and I thank the OP for starting this, is the newest that I've found. I'm very curious to know how things are socially/religiously/etc now compared to just a few years ago.

I welcome any and all PM's on the subject. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,648,669 times
St George has a Taco Time. More than enough reason to move there

Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM

229 posts, read 582,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
St George has a Taco Time. More than enough reason to move there
Haha, LOVE Taco Time- those crisp pinto bean burritos!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM

102 posts, read 305,521 times
I will message you both.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 10,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFMomma View Post
I will message you both.
Thank you for taking the time!

An update on our decision: we're moving here! In fact, our house in SLC went under contract within 2 weeks and we just put an offer on a house in the Bloomington Hills neighborhood yesterday.

I have read many, many posts and received a few messages. I wanted to thank everyone for their input, direct or not. We did take much of what was said into consideration and stayed up late many a night talking it over and over and over and... well... you get the idea. But we feel that this is the next chapter in our young family's life and we're looking forward to starting it!

Perhaps we'll run into some of you once we get moved in and settled!

(In fact, if anyone has anything "newsy"... lemme know! I'm working for KUTV 2 News as the new St George bureau photographer and we're always looking for story ideas! Catch me on Twitter: @Camera_Monkey )

Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM

102 posts, read 305,521 times
Bloomington Hills is a super nice area. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,673,828 times
If you have been living in SLC, you will find St George very similar in attitudes. Just the other end of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George