U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times

Advertisements

Back to topic please.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM

36 posts, read 28,152 times
I realize the few synogogues in Utah are much further north, but how would a (politically conservative) Jewish transplant be received in a Utah town the size of St. George?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM

243 posts, read 518,914 times
People from nearly every religious and ethnic background will generally be very well received in Utah, including St. George. It's funny that so many people ask about how they will be treated before they move to Utah, and then after they move to Utah they almost always say they had no problems and were welcomed with open arms. It is true that they will try to share their religion with you, but only because they believe that they have something beautiful and they want you to have it too. They only mean it in a loving way when they try to share their religion with you. Many of them would likely even be willing to hear about your religion and background in return. If you make it clear to them that you would love to be friends, but do not want to be converted, they will usually understand and won't send the missionaries over every day. Utahns are typically very kind and welcoming people.

That being said, every place and group has its bad apples, including Utah and including Mormons. There are some Mormons who can be cold and clique like, but this is not the norm.

St. George is a beautiful place to live, and if you can find work there, you will probably never leave!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 PM

35 posts, read 111,993 times
Default Questions about St. George, help?

Hi! This is my first post on the city data forums, but I have been lurking over this area for quite awhile. I am interested in moving to St. George, and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions first.

1. How expensive is water/electric? I'm guessing water is outrageous because of the temperatures in the summer? Answer: I moved here four years ago from the midwest. My water/electric bill is by far cheaper than it was in the midwest....about $42 a month. Gas prices can be very different from one company to another when heating your house. That's the only big price difference I have noticed.

2. Are there any car dealerships in the area or will I have to drive to Las Vegas encase I wanted to buy a new car? Answer: There are a lot of dealerships here. You can easily buy a new car here, Cedar City or Vegas. I have had very good luck buying used cars privately here and reselling my used car within a week two times now.

3. How is the driving in St. George? Packed streets? Empty? Lots of potholes? Answer: Driving in St. George can be interesting. There is practically no one on the streets Sunday as most LDS are at church. Great time to visit WAlmart....early on Sundays. Don't go there Saturdays....everyone else is there. Friday afternoon the streets can be pretty busy when people are getting out of work and leaving for the weekend. The traffic flows pretty smoothly. The older snowbirds tend to fill the streets and slow things down over the winter. NO potholes. Yellow lights in St. George mean GO. So be very cautious. IT appears people go through lights and there are fender benders. So, sit and wait a bit as lights change. And people don't use their turn signals very much. They appear to think we know where they intend to go. Be an offensive driver and you will be fine.

4. How hot does it REALLY get in the summer? Enough to melt your car's dashboard type heat? Or just really, hot. Answer: From late June to September 1, it is **** HOT in St. George. It won't melt a dashboard, but using a windshield guard when parking your car helps a lot. Many people buy those dashboard covers to protect their dashboards.

5. Are the people generally friendly in stores or are they "snobbish"? I am Christian myself, and I don't want to have my house egged because my neighbors find out I am not Mormon. Answer I am not LDS either. And I moved here from a small town, but I will say that people are not "snobbish" at the stores. All employees have been friendly and helpful. Sometimes shoppers can be a little snobbish, but I make a point to say "hi" just to push the envelope and get them to speak. And most people will respond if approached. I would never think of anyone ever egging my house, BUT my neighborhood is 95% LDS and someone stole my gargoyle and garden hose that I had in front of my garage. And I was very sad and disappointed that someone would steal from me. That was the last mold to that particular gargoyle. I had it about 15 years and carefully moved it here with me. I'm not sure people understand what a gargoyle is and what it means. And yes, I am "Christian". All my neighbors are very polite. But very little if any small talk to neighbors that are not LDS and go to the same "ward".

6. Any one particular side of the city you guys would recommend? Answer IT depends where you will work and what your interests are. I prefer to live on the east/south sides of Bluff. I would feel fairly safe most anywhere. But, I live in a very quiet and safe neighborhood. Washington is also a nice burb to live in.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon271 View Post
Yellow lights in St. George mean GO. So be very cautious. IT appears people go through lights and there are fender benders. So, sit and wait a bit as lights change. And people don't use their turn signals very much. They appear to think we know where they intend to go. Be an offensive driver and you will be fine.
Uhmmm ... it actually may mean *Step on it* or *keep going please*

Offensive ? Are you sure ? Or did you mean *defensive* ?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM

8,938 posts, read 8,040,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon271
Yellow lights in St. George mean GO. So be very cautious. IT appears people go through lights and there are fender benders. So, sit and wait a bit as lights change. And people don't use their turn signals very much. They appear to think we know where they intend to go. Be an offensive driver and you will be fine.
Remember the vast majority of drivers in St George, moved here from somewhere else in the past few years, or are tourists passing through. And all of these brought their bad driving habits from somewhere else. So there is no certain driving characteristics here, as the are brought here from so many other places often Southern California, you have to be prepared for almost anything.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM

12 posts, read 40,641 times
The biggest danger I see is the drivers from California. They seem to think they're still in L.A.!
They invade a community and ruin it. Sad to say but it seems to be true.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

154 posts, read 266,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTexas18 View Post
I realize the few synogogues in Utah are much further north, but how would a (politically conservative) Jewish transplant be received in a Utah town the size of St. George?
Hi fellow Jew here and we're looking to move to St George as well so you're not the only one haha. We're actually going to visit in a few weeks so I'll let you know what we think. We chose St George because we want to live in a safer, more beautiful cheaper, and conservative environment that's still warm

I've read that there is a group of Jewish people that meet up and have services in St George. I have a few Mormon friends and they are very respectful of my faith... just good friends.

Because of my job I've always had to live in liberal dominated areas and because of that my wife and I feel like we are outcasts. I'm sure we'll feel more at home in St George

Keep in touch

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

74 posts, read 50,721 times
Now hold on just a doggoned minute about California drivers! :-) I was raised in California back in the 50's. When I was being taught to drive, people used their turn signals, drove at a reasonable speed and even (gasp) allowed you to merge when traffic was going down to one lane. People on the freeway would typically move over one lane to allow oncoming traffic to merge into the farthest lane or would adjust their speed accordingly. California drivers "back when" were great! It's everyone else who moved there and brought their bad habits.

I'm enjoying the thread since my husband and I are considering St. George for our retirement, too.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 PM

43 posts, read 57,422 times
"Because of my job I've always had to live in liberal dominated areas and because of that my wife and I feel like we are outcasts. I'm sure we'll feel more at home in St George..." + "how would a (politically conservative) Jewish transplant be received..." =?!?!?!?!

OK, so, are you saying the liberal media (that fellow Jew, Joel Stein says is clearly a 'kosher affair'- in the LA times, no less) is NOT owned by one ethnic group? That Stein, or the LA Times, was wrong? Or that you are kosher, and they aren't? Isn't that... well, a form of 'chutzpah'? Who runs Hollywood? C'mon - Los Angeles Times

I'm wanting to move someplace, frankly, where Jews aren't, for the reason that they ALL are liberal, in that they are Jews. They favor sexual perversion, progressive (read, antichristian) social views (which are informed by one's political/ philosophical P.O.V.), and consistently vote for Democrats, almost to the total exclusion of a Republican- except for bootlickers like Lindsey Graham, (who recently said he's Israel's &^%$, and that Americans can be killed with drones, and considered 'enemies,' if Obama says so!)

Everywhere I've lived, from the seven years I was a 'shabbas goy' in the largest synagogue west of the Mississippi during my 20's, and at every juncture since then, (over three decades, in five states), and watching the Obama elections (both of them!) I've never been disabused of that idea.... To be Jewish, is to be de facto, LIBERAL. Of course, someone could call that p.o.v. insensitive, (sort of like saying LDS are Christians?) but I have two words to dissuade that mindset, if they really cared for truth- indigenous Palestinians. As in Israel. How can anyone be considered to conserve anything, that wants the genocide of an indigenous people, such as the Palestinians?

Thus my utter incredulity about the equation, above. No offense, but you folks already own NYC, the Fed, and the Media. What's one little corner in Utah, for us Whites, gonna matter... nu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or