U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,315 times

Advertisements

I think I have been in the area and talked to enough locals to get a rough idea on some of Mormons beliefs. What still confuses me, is how they can't have alcohol, hot drinks etc. But what about their medical cabinets? Do the same rules apply? I have heard many of them take anti-depressant, how does that work? Could someone, Mormon or not give me an insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM

8,947 posts, read 8,059,178 times
If your doctor prescribes medical treatment is is approved for Mormons to use.

Example: A few years ago, there was a bad flood in the Salt Lake area. Every man was out there trying to sandbag, etc., and were exposed to heavy rain and cold. The Churches Stake President for the area was a medical doctor. He was out passing out half pints of Brandy, and ordering the members to drink it to prevent serious health problems due to hypothermia. Even, alcohol can be a medicine under certain circumstances.

My wife has to drink 4 cups of Coffee per day ordered by an LDS doctor, for a serious kidney problem. Without it she has a serious infection pop up. As the doctor says, coffee is the preferred medicine with this medical problem, as it is less dangerous for the patient than the few prescription medications available.

As our doctor says, even alcohol and coffee can be a medications under certain conditions, though not something for every day use by the general public.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,315 times
So whenever a Mormon wishes to participate in an activity of some sort, he must have either permission from his priest or his doctor?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM

21,881 posts, read 22,015,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiesonVacation View Post
So whenever a Mormon wishes to participate in an activity of some sort, he must have either permission from his priest or his doctor?
Yeah, if we want to go to a movie, to a basketball game, out to dinner, out for a round of golf, etc., it must be approved by a committee of five doctors and five priests. (The priests, by the way, are between the ages of 16 and 19 years old.) Permission takes from four to six weeks, so you've got to plan ahead.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM

243 posts, read 519,494 times
Mormons don't drink, smoke, drink coffee, etc. because it is unhealthy and because it is addiction forming. Just like they aren't supposed to eat too much, or really take anything in excess to the point where it forms an addiction. Prescribed medication falls under the same category, if they are taking it so much that it forms an addiction, they are breaking the "word of wisdom", which is the commandment about not drinking, smoking, etc. Mormons believe strongly in agency, and in a way, addictions take away our god given agency, so that is why they tend to stay away from anything addiction forming, and when they have to use it for medicinal purposes, they try to use it as prescribed and not overuse.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 PM

447 posts, read 614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiesonVacation View Post
I think I have been in the area and talked to enough locals to get a rough idea on some of Mormons beliefs. What still confuses me, is how they can't have alcohol, hot drinks etc. But what about their medical cabinets? Do the same rules apply? I have heard many of them take anti-depressant, how does that work?

They sure do, and it doesn't work. It's called the Zion syndrome and in the Mormon culture, women are supposed to accept a calling that includes obedience and conformity along with never ending expectations from their Mormon Church and community. Mormon women are expected to be constantly happy and smiling over their liter of children, all while worshiping their Mormon husbands. They live in an unusual world where many of them, including their daughters, can't seem to show their tears, depression or express true feelings of anger or agony. It's a viscous cycle.

Utah's culture is deeply rooted in the Mormon religion and leads the nation in the consumption of antidepressants, it's also where depression and unworthiness seem to reach its maximum density. This is the equivalent to Utah's ongoing Mental Illness epidemic -- nothing new here.

Unhappy In Utah - CBS News

Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States

Old 06-28-2012, 06:18 PM

9,158 posts, read 9,232,316 times
Quote:
They sure do, and it doesn't work. It's called the Zion syndrome and in the Mormon culture, women are supposed to accept a calling that includes obedience and conformity along with never ending expectations from their Mormon Church and community. Mormon women are expected to be constantly happy and smiling over their liter of children, all while worshiping their Mormon husbands. They live in an unusual world where many of them, including their daughters, can't seem to show their tears, depression or express true feelings of anger or agony. It's a viscous cycle.

Utah's culture is deeply rooted in the Mormon religion and leads the nation in the consumption of antidepressants, it's also where depression and unworthiness seem to reach its maximum density. This is the equivalent to Utah's ongoing Mental Illness epidemic -- nothing new here.

I'm not saying there is nothing to what you are saying. However, I'd have to struggle long and hard to find another post on CDF that is as full of generalizations and half-truths as this particular post is. My wife and I are LDS and have lived here most of our lives. If you want to hear something more accurate this is probably it:

1. No one has to accept a calling in the church and members decline them regularly.

2. No one stands over the women and penalizes them for not smiling and acting happy.

3. Family size is larger here, but not to the point where its ridiculous. The average woman in the USA has two children. The average LDS woman has three children. Until recently, Utah has been a large state that has been sparsely populated. It doesn't shock me that people have larger families under these conditions.

4. People here express their emotions like anywhere else. Church teachings do encourage members to be grateful for what they have and I personally think all Americans would do better if we did focus more on what is right in our lives than what is wrong with them.

5. Mormon women do not have to "worship" their husbands. It is true that offices in the church are based on a "patriarchal model". Many other churches have abandoned patriarchy as a concept. Perhaps, our church will limit it someday. However, its a far cry from saying "women have to worship their husbands".

6. The consumption of anti-depressant medication is high. Before jumping to too many conclusions, I think it ought be compared to consumption in other western states. I have read that people who live in the mountain states struggle a little more than those in other regions of the country to earn an income because job prospects are not as good here as in the East and Midwest--at least when it comes to earning higher wages. Before you get all "high and mighty" about consumption of anti-depressant medication, you ought to compare it to the harm caused by alcohol and illegal drugs. Simply put, there is no comparison. People in Utah are far less likely to die from diseases relating to alcohol use and abuse. We also have fewer problems like overdoses from drugs. To the best of my knowledge, anti-depressants are unlikely to kill you.

Finally, we don't erect a wall and make people stay here. Anyone who is unhappy living in Utah can leave whenever they want.

So, go on with your assumptions and stereotypes. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM

498 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post

Unhappy In Utah - CBS News

Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States
This is absolute nonsense. Do your research before posting drivel like this. Why don't you start with how mental illness, suicide rates, and depression are all more common in the intermountain west, not just Utah. And why don't you also point out how these states are also among the happiest and healthiest, with high standards of living and long life expectancies. The same paradox exists in Scandinavia.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM

21,881 posts, read 22,015,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
This is absolute nonsense. Do your research before posting drivel like this. Why don't you start with how mental illness, suicide rates, and depression are all more common in the intermountain west, not just Utah. And why don't you also point out how these states are also among the happiest and healthiest, with high standards of living and long life expectancies. The same paradox exists in Scandinavia.
Techwired just hates Mormons. Read his posts on some of the other forums. You can't say anything to change his mind.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM

8,947 posts, read 8,059,178 times
Consider that 40% of Utahans are Not Mormons. When you read the comments by so many non Mormons it is apparent who needs anti depressant drugs to live in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or