U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM

692 posts, read 433,175 times

Advertisements

Is illegal immigration a problem in St. George? What about the state overall? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Anyone?......Anyone?.......Bueller??.....Bueller?? ?....

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM

312 posts, read 308,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Anyone?......Anyone?.......Bueller??.....Bueller?? ?....
Haha, sorry I had to laugh at that. As for your question, I have no clue.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Haha, sorry I had to laugh at that. As for your question, I have no clue.
Great movie!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM

186 posts, read 236,150 times
Illegal immigration is a "problem" for some people. Not everyone sees it as a problem, but there are definitely a LOT of illegal immigrants in Utah, including St. George. Pretty much anywhere in the west that has access to under the table jobs such as contracting and farming will have illegal immigrants.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM

I guess I'm comparing it to the Chicago area because they are EVERYWHERE here. And Illinois will NEVER pass any legislation to get them out of here. Has Utah taken any steps to rid the state of illegals? It can't be anywhere near as bad as Chicago. And I bet it's not half as bad as SoCal and Phoenix?! It's very surprising to me that the Utah government wouldn't be tough on illegal immigrants

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM

186 posts, read 236,150 times
There aren't nearly as many people in St. George, or anywhere in Utah, so it is difficult to compare Chicago to Utah. I haven't been to Chicago, so I don't know what the immigrant population is like. Utah isn't doing much to get rid of illegals because we have a very strong farming economy and many of the immigrants work on those farms.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the response. I guess illegals aren't a problem in Utah, which is good to hear. I can tell you there are entire neighborhoods all over the Chicagoland area that are filled with illegals. There are illegal immigrants crashing into cars daily and leaving the scene, there are emergency rooms filled with them, DUI crashes caused by illegals, and domestic violence is huge too. These are just a few examples of problems caused by illegal immigrants. The criminal justice system, educational system (illegal kids, and illegals' US born kids), and the healthcare system are in trouble here.

Utah is sounding pretty good!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM

16,480 posts, read 31,266,301 times
You will find plenty of Hispanics here. You just won't know which are here legally and which are not, as for the most part they are hard-working, quiet people.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM

3,292 posts, read 2,081,371 times
The thing you have to realize, is that the south west was once part of Mexico. When you see a Hispanic person, you do not know if they are illegal, or their families came down from people that were in the south west before any of those with European ancestors entered the country. That is one problem in Arizona and California. The white population want to drive out all people with Hispanic ancestry, and so many do not realize that many of those Hispanic families were in Arizona (31% Hispanic) and California (20% Hispanic) before their families were. New Mexico is 41% Hispanic. Texas 37% Hispanic.

22% of children under 5 are Hispanic in the U.S.

Yes there are lots of Hispanic people in southern Utah and other South Western States, but you have a difficult time to tell who are many generation Americans, Legal Immigrants, and Illegal Immigrants. There are members of the U.S. congress from the South West that are Hispanic. Others are doctors, lawyers, businessmen/women, college professors, city council men/women, mayors, etc., etc., etc. The south west U.S., was part of Mexico until the whites took the area over at gun point, and reflects the Mexican heritage. Look At the towns in the state, with Spanish names, from the days the Mexicans owned the area.

New figures show that in California, that the white European ancestry residents are less than 50% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George