U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM

154 posts, read 266,331 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, My wife, son and I will be driving out to Utah in a few weeks to check out the St George / Cedar areas. Then we'll drive up north and check out the Provo Orem areas as well.

We're going to get a feel for Utah since we're planning on relocating there around the new year

Any recommendation on places to stay or sites see while we are there? Neighborhoods to look at or to avoid?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 21,923 times
Hi fleeNY,

I found your forum post and questions very helpful.
It's so exciting to find someone who is also interested in moving to St. George. I hope you enjoy your trip to the St. George/Cedar area.

My husband and I live in Boca Raton, Florida right now and want to move to St. George next year in May.

We will be flying to St. George this year in May to check out the area, etc.
Any tips from anyone what we should check out?

One thing I have found difficult is to find a hotel to pick to stay in.
Most hotels found online are big chain hotels, such as Hilton or Marriott.

But I am sure there are some smaller local hotels that I would be more interested in.
Any recommendations?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM

hi diekleinenic! Our trip actually got bumped until mid April. We're in CA right now so we plan on driving over and staying at one of the chain hotels I'm sure.

I grew up in So Fl as well (the main outdoor activity is getting bitten by red ants haha) so I'm pretty pumped about the possibility of living in a place like Utah.

I'll take a bunch of pics and post my thoughts after our trip

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,437,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diekleinenic View Post
Hi fleeNY,

I found your forum post and questions very helpful.
It's so exciting to find someone who is also interested in moving to St. George. I hope you enjoy your trip to the St. George/Cedar area.

My husband and I live in Boca Raton, Florida right now and want to move to St. George next year in May.

We will be flying to St. George this year in May to check out the area, etc.
Any tips from anyone what we should check out?

One thing I have found difficult is to find a hotel to pick to stay in.
Most hotels found online are big chain hotels, such as Hilton or Marriott.

But I am sure there are some smaller local hotels that I would be more interested in.
Any recommendations?
lots of choices here.

Google

Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM

71 posts, read 178,121 times
Best of luck on your search.

My wife and I were in the same boat a couple of years ago. We decided we would like to relocate to a warmer/less humid climate than our current Chicago. I too sought out these forums as we were on the fence between St. George and Prescott, AZ.

Long story short, we purchased a St. George home in the summer of 2011. We could not be happier with our decision even though we won't be in St. George fulltime until 2014.

For us weather was a huge factor in our decision. Coming from the Chicago area it was really no decision at all. The St. George summers will be HOT, but not HOT and HUMID. At this stage I can deal with that. Plus, like winters here, just stay indoors if need be.

The people I have met in St. George in the past couple of years have been the friendliest. Whether it has been neighbors, people working at our home, delivery men, whatever........all have been extremely friendly and helpful.

The outdoor activities abound. My wife loves Zion and Bryce. I have been fortunate to enjoy horseback riding in Snow Canyon. We have barely scratched the surface. Being couped up all winter here in Chicago will be a thing of the past.

As for good/bad areas to land...... let your realtor be your guide. There were plenty of nice options at more-than-reasonable prices. But again, coming from Chicago, the cost of living in St. George is a bargain.

Be forewarned, the pace is a bit slower. Not that it is a bad thing. But it will be different. For instance. Once we purchased our home we didn't make it out until the following spring due to the fact that current owners were still in the home while their new home was under construction. I had made arrangements to have DirecTV (through a LOCAL company) come out on a Saturday to hook us up. This just so happened to be the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament. To me this was a BIG deal. While driving up from Vegas I got THE CALL stating my install was a NO GO. Come to find out later rarely is there a Saturday install. Oh, well. I survived. But I learned.

Please understand, all is relative to YOU and what you are in search of. My wife and I have felt very fortunate to have landed in this little plot of desert. We hope so soon call it our permanent home.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,379,876 times
If you are not Mormon, Salt Lake City is the only place you want consider. If you like the St George area, but want to be closer to Zion or have a bit more rural feel, you can check out Laverkin.

My ninety year old Mormon mother lives in St George and it is a perfect fit for her. If you are younger than 75 and not Mormon, you might find it boring and environmentally unfriendly. Summers get over 100 degrees. When it gets over 100, most old folks stay inside between 10 am and 4 pm.

For working folks St George is a terrible place, many younger folks have multiple minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. Schools in Washington county are some of the poorest in the nation.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
If you are not Mormon, Salt Lake City is the only place you want consider. If you like the St George area, but want to be closer to Zion or have a bit more rural feel, you can check out Laverkin.

My ninety year old Mormon mother lives in St George and it is a perfect fit for her. If you are younger than 75 and not Mormon, you might find it boring and environmentally unfriendly. Summers get over 100 degrees. When it gets over 100, most old folks stay inside between 10 am and 4 pm.

For working folks St George is a terrible place, many younger folks have multiple minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. Schools in Washington county are some of the poorest in the nation.
yeah we plan on checking out Hurricane and toquerville.. we'll add laverkin to the list as well. Thanks for the heads up

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM

5,316 posts, read 10,985,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
If you are not Mormon, Salt Lake City is the only place you want consider.
Nonsense !. It is all up to the person him/her self.

If you are afraid of what is mentioned above, do not even think of coming here !
(Mormans -misspelled on purpose- at night, they grow horns, and do weird things ...)

If you have an open mind, then you will adapt and integrate rather easy.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM

21,855 posts, read 21,964,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeNY View Post
yeah we plan on checking out Hurricane and toquerville.. we'll add laverkin to the list as well. Thanks for the heads up
If you are a hard-core Tea Party Republican, then LaVerkin would be the place for you. Otherwise, I would definitely not even consider it. It's a pretty little town, but definitely not a place most people would be happy living in. Moab's really nice, other than being pretty remote.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM

30 posts, read 32,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you are a hard-core Tea Party Republican, then LaVerkin would be the place for you.
How so ?

Thx,

MM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George