Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 AM

936 posts, read 2,202,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just my opinion, but why couldn't the Mormons have settled in some state like
Nebraska? Or Kansas....why did they have to settle in such beautiful states like
Utah and Idaho??
While in Illinois, the native residents were smart enough to be reading the newspaper articles about Joseph Smith and his criminal history. Imagine the impossibility in the 1800's of dozens of people in multiple states all being out to get the guy for no apparent reason. It was obvious that there were many areas that refused to put up with his criminal behavior and his followers finally made it to the less populated area of Utah before settling.

Joseph Smith and the criminal justice system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 PM

293 posts, read 563,633 times
Yeah, why didn't the pioneers just say "This area is too beautiful, let's live someplace ugly!" ?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
Thank you for your kind and well written post in answer to the fellow who feels unaccepted in Utah and wanting to move to Phoenix.
Having lived in Phoenix for many years as well as living in the southern US and spending quite a bit of time in my work life in other areas of our country, I can state that in my experience, the St. George area rates very high in many ways. The people whom you interact with are for the most part very friendly. There is an overall "conservative attitude" with most folks you meet no matter their religious or non-religious persuasions. Having grown up as one of 6 L.D.S. "Mormon" kids in my high school of over 2,500 I never felt that I was necessarily an outsider. I went to parties, religious events for my friends of faith and those that didn't particularly practice any.
I know that there are people in all religions that practice their faith with various degrees of adherence. Being an active member of the L.D.S. church all my life I can tell you that love, acceptance, understanding, peace and a spirit of helping those in need are what the church teaches as doctrine, just as the Savior did. Not exclusion and unrighteous judgement.
While there is no doubt that society benefits from just laws and social morals, it is obvious that it can be fragmented by political correctness and acceptance of the "anything goes" attitudes of today.
I hope this fellow finds the peace and acceptance he is seeking. I think if one looks in the mirror each day and examines who is looking back at him, one will find that no matter where that person looks in or at life, someone with similar attitudes will be there. If you want to be loved and accepted, for the vast majority of situations and people, what you give, you will receive.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,083 times
Default Actually, Utah doesn't win

I have considered leaving Utah for many of the same reasons. However I have come to the conclusion that UT/Mormons lose when people leave. Even without having left I tell people of the hypocrisy, bigotry, and self centeredness of the people/the church.

If you look at the city-data page for St George it says 92.5% of the population are Mormon. Now, everyone, including church members and leaders knows it is only about 25% living a true Mormon life. The rest hold on to the Mormon label for business and social connections, knowing that they are too weak to stand on their own. The church leaders should be asking these people to remove themselves from the organization (Jesus said you can judge a tree by the fruit it produces), but then the church would lose the tithing from that 75%.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley Wine Paul View Post
I have considered leaving Utah for many of the same reasons. However I have come to the conclusion that UT/Mormons lose when people leave. Even without having left I tell people of the hypocrisy, bigotry, and self centeredness of the people/the church.

If you look at the city-data page for St George it says 92.5% of the population are Mormon. Now, everyone, including church members and leaders knows it is only about 25% living a true Mormon life. The rest hold on to the Mormon label for business and social connections, knowing that they are too weak to stand on their own. The church leaders should be asking these people to remove themselves from the organization (Jesus said you can judge a tree by the fruit it produces), but then the church would lose the tithing from that 75%.
Are you saying that these unobservant or weakly observant Mormons (sorry, don't know the right term) still tithe anyway? Is that the cost of keeping all the connections working properly? Seems like a lot of money for something you don't quite believe in. Serious question, just curious, I have no idea about this stuff.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:58 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley Wine Paul View Post

Well I have news for you, pal. If the 75% are no longer "living a true Mormon life," then the Church has already lost their tithing. A lot of people no longer practice all of the doctrines their churches teach, but it hurts absolutely no one for their names to be on their church's records. Or is it just the non-practicing Mormons your suggestion applies to?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM

134 posts, read 348,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I know this is taking it off topic here, but since you brought it up. I am not sure if you realize what you are saying here. I am sure she would not get an Amish tow truck drive to tow her car because they DONT DRIVE. and perhaps the mechanic would not look at her car, because, well they DONT DRIVE.
I know this post is 2 years old but it gave me a laugh anyways. I hope easternerDC is still around. I wonder if easternerDC knew what he/she was saying in that post, questioning what ohnonothimagain had written. It was clear to me that ohnonothimagain referenced a "local Amish truck driver" who wouldn't assist non-amish people. Well that suggests to me easternerDC that said "local Amish truck driver" drives a truck, therefore he DOES DRIVE.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:36 PM

134 posts, read 348,072 times
I also want to address the original post. I used to winter in St. George until 2011 when I decided to purchase a home in Phoenix, AZ. The home prices in Phoenix were too good to pass up, plus I found the winters in Phoenix to be much warmer than St. George. I have been spending all my winters (4-6 months) in Phoenix now for the last 4 years, and I really enjoy living there. I live in a nice area of Phoenix and the people are quite friendly.

I did enjoy St. George. I am not religious so I cannot comment on the LDS thing this thread talked about. I keep to myself for the most part and I didn't have any issues with the people of St. George. I would take my dog for walks and encounter people on the trails all the time. Most people were very friendly and only one time did someone stop me and ask me about religion. They said I was welcome to attend the LDS church and left it at that; no lecturing.

It would have been nice to have a pub or two in the town. But, I was OK with buying my beer at the supermarket and and enjoying a cold one on the balcony enjoying the mountain view.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 13,851 times
Default Correction to previous response to "Sick of Living in St. George"

I want to clarify, or correct, my recommendation for a non-LDS place of worship in St. George, Utah. I mentioned New Life Christian Church, and while I'm sure this is a wonderful place, it is Pentacostal and I intended to recommend a more non-denominational venue. I actually was thinking about South Mountain Community Church. I have heard good things about the the one in Draper and they have one in St. George also. I don't attend any of these churches, but I support anyone wanting to fellowship with members of the community.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 25,998 times
Hello,

My family is looking to move to Saint George. I see this post started a while back but hope someone can give some more recent insight. We are an educated (American born/raised) Muslim family and looking to leave the "city life." We came across beautiful homes in St George, UT and are highly considering it until we came across this forum.

We already know the Muslim population in UT is minimal, especially in Southern UT, but to the people in St George, do you think we would/will face discrimination?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George