U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,878 times

Advertisements

Plan on moving to So. Utah in the Fall and we are 'active' Catholics in the sense that we attend Church regularly and we are K.O.C and Legion of Mary.....is there a 'thriving' Catholic Community in your area,......we hope to connect with other Catholic Families...we have two 13year olds that we hope will meet other teenagers from similar family backgrounds.....is there a CYO or similar groups... do Catholics mix well with LDS.... we are non-smoking, non-drinking and obviously traditional conservative exDemocrats...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 3,635,476 times
Too lazy to Google?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM

127 posts, read 331,079 times
I'd like to be helpful, but since I'm long retired, without teenagers, and a non-active Presbyterian there's not a lot I can say. Two of my neighbor friends are Catholic and enjoy their church and friendly support system there. There is an active thrift store in town that is popular. I haven't heard any LDS/Catholic complaints from either side. If politics concern you, all I know is that my lovely Catholic neighbors are definitely Democrats whereas I am Libertarian. They also are golfers, and in St. George that may qualify as a religion! If you can find a website for the local church you can probably get somebody there to let you know about the teen scene. Best wishes!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Thumbs down My Google Finger...its the middle one....can you see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Too lazy to Google?
thanks for your helpful suggestion that I use my Google finger....yes maybe I was asking too much of you and once again thanks for showing me where to go....you are just too kind and when I get to So. Utah would love to thank you in person....that is if I.m not feeling too lazy then...God Bless yer little heart...

Last edited by cladafella; 07-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: not enough kindness shown in first post

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 PM

404 posts, read 1,009,426 times
We are in Cedar City, part time, non practicing Catholics, we go on Christmas Eve....however, we go in our hometown of Mesquite, NV. That church, Virgin de Guadalupe, has a very active parish especially the K of C. Cedar City has a pretty church, Christ the King, but I don't know much about it. Sorry. Funny that you write obviously tradional, conservative ex Democrats. That certainly would not describe a Catholic in Massachusetts!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Ex- Democrat from Ma.

Funny how you zeroed in on the fact that we are from 617Land even though we not living there now...

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM

404 posts, read 1,009,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladafella View Post
Funny how you zeroed in on the fact that we are from 617Land even though we not living there now...
I did not know that. I am actually from 508 and never would anyone in my zip code use Democrat and conservative in the same sentence. I truly hope you will find a strong Catholic community for your kids so they will be able to have friends their own age. LDS kids are really involved in lots of church activities, I always say like preVatican 2 Catholics...CYC, basketball, etc....so your kids may not see as much as their neighbors as they would like.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM

119 posts, read 182,184 times
I am catholic but not very active from St George. My mom bought a retirement house here (she is from Mass 413) 7 years ago. She is a devout catholic(before moving here my dad was a 4th degree knight, my mom had been head of the church guild and very invovled in catholic education) 17 years ago the church was smaller but she liked it better. Now it is primarily Spanish speaking (so at least half masses are in Spanish as well as some CCD classes). My mom when she is here and some of her long term catholic friends drive to the catholic church in mesquite on sunday. They go to mass, have a nice brunch after mass. I would say this is a trend with Catholics without kids. The few catholics I know with kids are disappointed. They were suppose to build a school but the building as turned into a thrift store and offices. CCD classes are not what it is like in other areas(I went to catholic school k-12 so I don't know much about what CCD should be). I actually send my son to an LDS scout troop because it is very active and full of wonderful activities. The priest has changed a few times in the last 5 years. The latest one is Asian and tri-lingual and is very strict. My mom had surgery so could not go to the Mesquite church and went back to the St George catholic church for a few weeks this spring and the priest as yelling and she was turned off even more.

If there was a catholic school or programs I would send my kids but there is very little. For my son who is a teenager he has had few issues with LDS kids but he is a scout in an lds troop(I just let him go with the neighbors). Boys don't talk much about religion (until 17-18 when they prepare for missions) Boys are typical, sports, video games electronics and I like that they are not dating or drinking and have low peer pressure(but I live in a conservative neighborhood, St George varies greatly, the more LDS the better the schools and there are some BAD high schools here so do your research and I encourage everyone that moves here take a day and visit the schools. people spend days visiting homes but never step inside each high school, I can't say this enough the high schools are NOT equal). Girls it is much harder for IMO. By 10 they are clickly and talking about babies and marriage. College is not encouraged for girls as much. I have watched 4.0 sweet girls, who played sports, and have so much going for them turn down college and scholarships or only go for a year till their missionary comes back and it breaks my heart (not everyone is meant for college but if you got a 4.0 scholarship, I think you are). Most of these 10 years old girls have older sisters and cousins that are married young and having kids and they are just waiting for that to be them.

If you want to just go to mass you will be fine. If you want to be part of a community it will be hard. salt lake city has a much better community, many schools and programs and diversity for catholics. I lived in Draper for 18 months and it as pretty close to the east coast catholic church. St George is not. I can have my mom PM you and answer any questions if you want since she has been active for 17 years here and knows many specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George