Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 30,777 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some thoughts... do you think a roller rink would do well in St. George?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM

122 posts, read 260,571 times
You don't know how many people want one! but I think it has been hard to get the city to agree (reasons unknown).
There was one in mesquite and the owner said she had tried to get one in St George but after so much red tape and hoops she gave up. I also have heard a Hollywood connection was turned down. They tried to a get a permanent indoor ice rink up in the industrial park but it was turned down. I did listen to that hearing for a bit and it was the hours (they wanted to open early for kids to practice before school and have hockey leagues at night). The city said something about needing extra police, and I thought is it really that dangerous to have 8 years olds practicing ice skating at 6am?

There is some sort of non-air conditioned small rollerr ink in veyo for private rental only. If you are really interested in getting on in town ( I know you would get loads of support if necessary to bring to the city) I would call the one in Veyo and find out what the obstacles are in st George.

This year my daughter and some friends (these are elementary age kids) have made shirts of all the kid friendly things st George city has turned down or doesn't have in hopes that someone will listen or be elected that cares. I know some people will disagree but I think St George is not a great place to be a kid!

Other idea is a water park. Like the one in draper in that factory mall on 123rd south. It was like a tinker toy kit and it somehow recycles water (I know water waste is a big issue in turning down water parks). I can't tell you how many people ask where is the water park when they move here or visit. It seems crazy we have 300+ sunny days and no water park.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM

317 posts, read 651,841 times
Some in St. George seem to think recreation for young people beyond that oriented to very small children will lead to mayhem and immorality. Cedar City is different and I read today that a contract was just signed for an ice skating rink next to the rec center.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM

122 posts, read 260,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
Some in St. George seem to think recreation for young people beyond that oriented to very small children will lead to mayhem and immorality. Cedar City is different and I read today that a contract was just signed for an ice skating rink next to the rec center.
That is great news. I wish it was st George but cedar is better then driving to vegas for ice skating.

You are right activites stop at age 8-10, even summer camps. The best summer camps I went to (I grew up In Mass) were when I was 10-15, I learned about art, law, photography, foreign langauges but here it is either a few rec center sports or violin or piano and scouts (but only boy not girl).

Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
You don't know how many people want one! but I think it has been hard to get the city to agree (reasons unknown).
There was one in mesquite and the owner said she had tried to get one in St George but after so much red tape and hoops she gave up. I also have heard a Hollywood connection was turned down. They tried to a get a permanent indoor ice rink up in the industrial park but it was turned down. I did listen to that hearing for a bit and it was the hours (they wanted to open early for kids to practice before school and have hockey leagues at night). The city said something about needing extra police, and I thought is it really that dangerous to have 8 years olds practicing ice skating at 6am?

There is some sort of non-air conditioned small rollerr ink in veyo for private rental only. If you are really interested in getting on in town ( I know you would get loads of support if necessary to bring to the city) I would call the one in Veyo and find out what the obstacles are in st George.

This year my daughter and some friends (these are elementary age kids) have made shirts of all the kid friendly things st George city has turned down or doesn't have in hopes that someone will listen or be elected that cares. I know some people will disagree but I think St George is not a great place to be a kid!

Other idea is a water park. Like the one in draper in that factory mall on 123rd south. It was like a tinker toy kit and it somehow recycles water (I know water waste is a big issue in turning down water parks). I can't tell you how many people ask where is the water park when they move here or visit. It seems crazy we have 300+ sunny days and no water park.
Wow, thank you for all the information. That is really helpful. It does seem like there is not much for kids to do around here. I agree, a waterpark sounds really great too!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
This is great to hear. My husband is dying to play some hockey around here!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 AM

60 posts, read 131,557 times
We used to have one on Sunset (Outer Limits), it was a huge hit for local youth. Sad it closed, can't believe we don't have another one!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,218 times
Is there any additional news on this hockey rink?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:01 PM

60 posts, read 131,557 times
It's pathetic that a city of this size should have a post about wanting a roller rink! Hello? Anybody out there??

Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,921 times
I will agree that St. George needs a ice rink and a roller rink. I was born and raised in St. George. I worked at Outer Limits as a young teen and it was always busy in the mid 90's,keep in mind it was a big time for rollerblading and skating. I was part of the roller hockey program they had at outer limits and it was a success(I still play to this day thanks to that program). I would have played Ice hockey but driving to Las Vegas was not an option. Hockey and youth programs like this are exactly what St. George needs! I think you are on the right path thinking about roller rink. I don't think anyone in St. George can stop you from opening one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George