U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 38,591 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are planning on retiring in a few years and we are wondering about retiring in St. George. Our son has traveled to St. George and loves the area and told us we would love it for retirement. We have not been there and are wondering about it. We are planning a visit this summer. These are the items we're looking for: affordable housing - less than 300K, one story; cultural events like art exhibits, museums, concerts; good walking/hiking areas; dog-friendly neighborhoods; nice restaurants; good health facilities; churches - Presbyterian specifically, but we are interested in Christian churches with outreach programs, a strong children's program, and an excellent music / choral tradition. Can you give us advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 AM

6,786 posts, read 6,957,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonK37 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are planning on retiring in a few years and we are wondering about retiring in St. George. Our son has traveled to St. George and loves the area and told us we would love it for retirement. We have not been there and are wondering about it. We are planning a visit this summer. These are the items we're looking for: affordable housing - less than 300K, one story; cultural events like art exhibits, museums, concerts; good walking/hiking areas; dog-friendly neighborhoods; nice restaurants; good health facilities; churches - Presbyterian specifically, but we are interested in Christian churches with outreach programs, a strong children's program, and an excellent music / choral tradition. Can you give us advice?
1. Affordable housing. Challenging. It depends on what you want. If its something older and modest you can beat the $300,000 price tag. I paid over 300K for a 2000 sq. ft. place about 5 years ago. Prices have come down a little since than, but are on the their way back up and quickly. Our home is one story.

2. There is an outdoor theater a few miles out of St. George called the Tuacahn Theater. It has a few productions each summer which are primarily Walt Disney themed plays. They have a few concerts during the autumn months as well. Art exhibits and museums would be modest. Keep in mind that the Washington County area has a little over 100,000 people. Its not large enough for some of the bigger facilities. There is a wildlife museum at the Dixie Center on the southwest side of St. George.

3. Walking and hiking areas. Its a perfect place for that. There are endless walkways and trails. Many are paved and maintained.

4. Dog friendly neighborhoods. I don't own a dog, but its obvious many are dog friendly areas.

5. Restaurants here aren't "five star", but there are many chains and there is plenty of good food available.

6. Good health facilities. I assume you mean gyms and exercise places. There are a number of these. There is an excellent swimming and aquatic center in Santa Clara (suburb of St. George).

7. Of course, the area is predominately LDS (or Mormon), but there are a number of other churches in the area. You would find a number of denominational Christian churches. I have no clue about whether they would have strong outreach, children's, and musical programs. I will say if this a huge consideration for you, I'm not sure St. George is your best choice for a retirement location. Than, again, others may have entirely different experience, YMMV.

We have a second home in Ivins (suburb of St. George). Eventually, we anticipate retiring there. We do make it down about once a month currently. Its a nice area with some incredible scenery and the best weather in Utah during the cold months. The area has very little violent crime and not much property crime. I suppose the bad news is that a lot of people have figured this out and have already moved there. I expect the population to increase substantially in the next couple of decades.

I'd suggest maybe you rent a place in the St. George area for a month and decide how much you like it.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM

286 posts, read 429,784 times
Coming to St. George for a visit during the summer is a great idea. Many people do not have a clue how hot it gets here during the summer. (Our lst year here it hit 115). Very difficult to enjoy the great outdoors in that kind of heat!
As to churches, mostly LDS (Mormon) - you cannot go more than 2 miles in any direction without seeing at least 2 LDS churches.
I suggest you go to the local Presbyterian church, attend service and ask questions. I'm certain the members will give you an honest opinion of the area before you make a move.
The area is clean, low crime close to Las Vegas for major entertainment (120 miles), but not for everyone. Ask questions anywhere you go - I'm sure you will find out what you need to know.

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Thanks so much to both of you for your insights. The idea of renting a place is a great suggestion especially since we are just beginning to look for retirement possibilities. I appreciate your detailed discussion of the items we are looking for. I was not aware of the heat in the summer either. I'll find out this year! And your suggestion about attending church services and asking questions is very helpful.

BTW, I'm new to City-Data, so I hope that I am replying correctly. Is it OK to reply to two posts with one reply? I hope so.

I have been told that I'll receive great answers to my questions posted to the Forum and you two have proved that to be correct.

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM

78 posts, read 173,950 times
The Dixie State University campus offers a lot of "cultural" events. Free or inexpensive performances by excellent student musicians, dancers, and artists throughout the school calendar. Symphony performances, art exhibits at the campus gallery, and the Docutah documentary film festival every fall come to mind. In addition, the Institute for Continued Learning is geared to the retirement community, with a variety of classes but no tests!

There is a small art museum in downtown St George, and several art festivals throughout the year, including the Art to Zion open studios in January, and outdoor art festivals in St George during the easter week as well as numerous events at the Kayenta Art Village in Ivins.

Cedar City northeast on I-15 has a Shakespeare festival and other cultural events associated with its university, so I don't think you will lack for cultural events to enjoy when you are not busy enjoying the very many opportunities for hiking all around.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 AM

286 posts, read 429,784 times
Another suggestion, you might want to check out SunRiver St George, Utah's award winning Master-Planned Active Adult Retirement Community.. It's a retirement community with very active seniors. I don't live there, but I have heard great things. Down side is their HOA, which doesn't allow leaving your garage door open more than a foot. Upside, they have many activities including wine tasting...something you will NEVER see in an older community - since most Mormons do not drink. Sunriver seems to have a melting pot of people from all over, while many neighborhoods here have 2nd and 3rd generations.

Again you are welcome for info. If you want more info you can always send a private message to me. Happy to help.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosAtun View Post
The Dixie State University campus offers a lot of "cultural" events. Free or inexpensive performances by excellent student musicians, dancers, and artists throughout the school calendar. Symphony performances, art exhibits at the campus gallery, and the Docutah documentary film festival every fall come to mind. In addition, the Institute for Continued Learning is geared to the retirement community, with a variety of classes but no tests!

There is a small art museum in downtown St George, and several art festivals throughout the year, including the Art to Zion open studios in January, and outdoor art festivals in St George during the easter week as well as numerous events at the Kayenta Art Village in Ivins.

Cedar City northeast on I-15 has a Shakespeare festival and other cultural events associated with its university, so I don't think you will lack for cultural events to enjoy when you are not busy enjoying the very many opportunities for hiking all around.
We currently live in an area with several colleges and universities and have enjoyed the concerts, theater, and other cultural activies they offer. Thank you for your description of these activities in St. George and nearby areas. And the adult education opportunities sound great.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
Another suggestion, you might want to check out SunRiver St George, Utah's award winning Master-Planned Active Adult Retirement Community.. It's a retirement community with very active seniors. I don't live there, but I have heard great things. Down side is their HOA, which doesn't allow leaving your garage door open more than a foot. Upside, they have many activities including wine tasting...something you will NEVER see in an older community - since most Mormons do not drink. Sunriver seems to have a melting pot of people from all over, while many neighborhoods here have 2nd and 3rd generations.

Again you are welcome for info. If you want more info you can always send a private message to me. Happy to help.
We have been wondering about a retirement community - whether that would be a good thing for us at this point. We do like living with folks of all ages, including children, but many retirement communities are quite attractive. Thanks for the information; we'll investigate.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,139,486 times
My wife and I seriously looked at retiring in St George and decided against it. On paper it looked good in all respects, like a kind of less discovered Arizona and near lots of great outdoor stuff. But, it's also VERY hot, strip-mall culture (little real fine dining) and overwhelmingly LDS. Sure, there are other denominations, nothing is 100.00%. But, at the end of the day, it's a Scottsdale for the LDS. That's why the responses here are all so measured. We decided on Salt Lake City instead (and for a lot of other reasons too).

Last edited by kletter1mann; 03-10-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: forgot a point

Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM

404 posts, read 867,361 times
Head south for a little more fun in Mesquite,Nevada. No state income tax and no grocery taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George