U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 15,112 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been reading the St George and Cedar City threads for about 2 months or so with interest.... we are staying in St G for a week while looking around the area to see if it is on our short list for a retirement home. Would like to know if there are this anything special either town is celebrating over the Labor Day holiday? Much thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 167,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
There is a lot and I mean a lot of empty commercial property. As to the fastest growing area in the contry, that was a few years ago. It doesn't rank up there in the top 500 anymore. .
That's odd, I've been looking for good commercial property for a while now and have had a hard time finding everything. Most of what I've found is either in contract or won't be finished until the end of the year. Another odd item, not ranking up in the top 500 anymore..... Check out the census that ended in June 2006.
100 Fastest Growing Counties (http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/CO-EST2006-08.html - broken link)
We seem to be number 19.

Quote:
St. George Ivans, Washington, Santa Clara, and bloomington all run together. It is still less than 60K for that area. The county has 70K people.
Yeah, back in the 90's. St. George alone has 75,000 people and the county is reaching 130,000. Still small compared to a real city, but in that little valley it can feel a big congested.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceF View Post
Would like to know if there are this anything special either town is celebrating over the Labor Day holiday? Much thanks.
I don't know about Cedar City, but down in St. George we are celebrating the end of the heat. Labor Day is when we all come out of our caves and start facing the real world. Just kidding, it's not that bad.

Over Labor Day, the City of St. George puts on free concerts in one of the parks.
City of St. George, Utah :: Concert in the Parks (http://www.sgcity.org/arts/concertinfo.php - broken link)

Also, Tuacahn Theater is in full swing. It's nothing special for Labor Day, but if you haven't seen a show in this beautiful outdoor theater in the cliffs, it is a must do.
Tuacahn Live Musical Theatre Presents Broadway in the Desert amidst the towering redrock cliffs of St. George Utah

I believe Springdale (base city to Zion NP) puts on event around Labor Day.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The airport in St. George feeds Vegas and SLC.
It feeds L.A. and SLC, not Vegas.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM

242 posts, read 997,385 times
Had to check on that. You're right. A couple of years ago there was a little fight. Skywest has the service to St. George but doesn't go to Vegas. Cedar City has the US air affiliate and goes to SLC and Vegas but not LA. The fun and games of smaller airports with only a few flights a day. BUT on the other hand they are building (still remains to be seen when it will ever be done) a new regional international (means they will go to Mexico) airport to take the pressure off Vegas since they can't expand any further. That has prompted the expansion of the real estate market in Mesquite so the first stop going to Vegas from the new airport will be their town.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 88,361 times
More questions on St. George.... What's the good points on living there. Why do you live there?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM

281 posts, read 1,076,149 times
Just a word on the airport as I know a little about them and their impact on a city. Basically the only differance between an international airport and a regional one is whether it has customs. And that is determined by the demand for direct flights in and out of the country. Whether it be Cancun or Moscow it doesn't matter.
It would be great if the new airport, 2012?, has the traffic to have such a convienence. And it would do more for the economic growth the area than argueably anything else. Business people want a place where clients and customers can get to and from easily.
If it helps out McCarren that would be great too. Cause' I just looked and that airport handles 46 million passingers a year. And that's 126,000 a day.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Pro's
1) Weather
2) Outdoor Recreation
3) Proximity to large cities (Vegas or SLC) without actually being a large city or simply a suburb of one.
4) Natural Beauty
5) Proximity to mountain ranges above 8,000 feet.
6) Sunshine - It's the desert
7) Mesquite a mere 1/2 hour drive away.

Con's
1) Backwards attitude and mindset of the "Good 'Ol Boy" network.
2) No nightlife.
3) Resistance to positive change
4) The infrastructure has not kept up with the growth.
5) Low wages / High cost of living
6) Dixie State College is a horrible institution. The High Schools are more progressive.

Thats all I can think of now.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM

12 posts, read 88,361 times
Biker,
Is it a problem bringing in alcohol into Utah as a visitor? If so, is it a bigger problem purchasing " a bottle of rum" at the state owned liquor store?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 AM

242 posts, read 997,385 times
No problem bringing it in, nor a problem buying it at the state stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George