Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 12,119 times

Advertisements

What internet providers are available in the St. George area?

Where is the closest place to go boating?

Anyone have Sprint cell coverage there and how is the service?

Recommendations for good/inexpensive local car insurance companies (outside of your all state, geico, etc.)?

I think that is all to start my questions.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 PM

175 posts, read 592,421 times
Hey Jordo,

CenturyLink and Baja Broadband are the two most common ISP's in the area. We have CenturyLink and I find it adequate for our needs. Baja is cable company, more like a Comcast where you can bundle cable/internet/phone. CenturyLink does the same, but bundles with DirecTV. Most people choose Dish down here since I believe DirecTV still doesn't have local channels in HD. We like Dish.

Boating - Sand Hollow and Quail Creek Reservoirs about 20 minutes east of St. George proper. For larger, Lakes Powell and Mead are about 2 hours away.

Sorry, no Sprint - we have Verizon.

Auto Insurance - I have ties to that industry, so will refrain from recommendations. IMO, good and inexpensive don't often mesh and often leads to disappointment in the event of loss. Just please make sure you get the coverages that match your specific personal needs by researching or talking with a local agent/broker. Unless you're a high risk driver or have teens in your household, UT has pretty low rates in comparrison to other states. If you shop, you might just find the price between leading and cut-rate companies not all that much different (but the level of support and service can vary greatly).

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM

86 posts, read 222,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo487 View Post

Recommendations for good/inexpensive local car insurance companies (outside of your all state, geico, etc.)?

Previous poster (GoOutsideAndPlay) hit things pretty well.

We purchased here in 2011 and began migrating in the Fall of 2012. We will be in St. George full time very, very soon. I searched and searched these boards for the same types of answers.

For internet we went with a local provider: Skywire. It has since changed to Wildfire. We really like the service. Their customer service is outstanding (IMHO).

if you happed to be in town and see a boat simply asked. The locals seem to head out each and every weekend!!

We also have Verizon. But when I am out in the middle of Snow Canyon on horseback I can't get a signal!

I also love the previous poster's response about insurance: cheap isn't necessarily the way to go. It probably will COST you in the long run. When researching you will find quite a number of choices to pick from. I was very fortunate to find a great agent who was very willing to take time with me and help me with whatever I needed. It was unfortunate in that my agent could only do so much since my "umbrella" had to be covered basically from my home here. (and trust me, it was much more expensive that way - but I had no choice)

People here are the boards are very, very helpful in steering you in the right direction. At least I have been very lucky in that regard. If you are looking for specifics usually a PM is the way to go.

Best of luck.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM

122 posts, read 258,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo487 View Post

A lot of these questionas are dependant where you live, since many homes are in PUDS/HOAS and might include cable or exclude dish, or have poor cell coverage by carrier. I will give you my opinions but once you know a suburb or area it might be best to post again.

Internet: I HATE Baja. I had trouble at both my homes (santa clara area and desert hills area) and after years of poor service and my yard being dug up, went to centurylink. They are good, not great but reliable. they cost about $10-15 more a month but if you need internet then they are a better choice IMO. My yard has too many trees for the Skywire internet.

Boating: my husband goes out with friends bit just to sand hallow or lake powell.

We have sprint. It is the cheapest service and I just use it for light use and I am okay. My teenager hates it and the 4G just got introduce and is very spotty. Forget trying to download a coupon in target or get countinous service from st George to las vegas or to SLC. Verizon is the best but you pay more for the best, for us (3 phone family plan) Verizon costs $1400 more a year over sprint. I could not justify the expense but if you need a phone for work or like to hike. camp or go to more remote areas verizons excellent coverage might be worth it to you.

I found Costco's American Express insurance to be the cheapest. If you are a Costco member they give you 2 free months per year as a discount and the rates were better then state farm or bear river.
Also I lived in NY/MA and insurance here is cheap in comparison. We have a truck and car and no tickets and in NY paid close to $3k a year and here it is under $1k with Costco , even state farm was about $1300.

Just curious is there a reason you are moving here? a job? family? where are you coming from?
Unlike other places we have one choice for healthcare IHC, so make sure your insurance is good there or you will be driving 4-9 hours to see a dr. Also if you need any specilaists ask here of call the hospital to find out if they have a dr and if that dr is taking new patients, waiting lists etc.

While some people love it here(mostly people who are lifelong residents or have family here or are retired and find the services ok for their needs, I regret moving here. It was much better quality of life before kids and since the city has grown, I feel it has grown for the worst. While again some might disagree, this is not a place to raise kids anymore or for those looking for nightlife or any sort of fun this isn't the place(I'm not a drinker but there is 1 bar for 100k people, and only 2 state liquor stores for 150k people with limited selection, no clubs, dancing(expect maybe 1 line dancing place), few concerts etc). I feel like St George is good for some retired couples, and singles that love outdoor recreation but not nightlife.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 AM

29 posts, read 75,425 times
Currrently have Baja and they've been very reliable and fast for me. Previously had Skywire and their customer service is excellent, but whenever there was a windstorm it knocked out our internet or made it spotty (difficult for streaming movies).

Sand Hollow and Quail lake seem to be the most popular, but Lake Powell and Lake Mead are close. Sand Hollow is a really good place for boarding and wake surfing. Just stay away from the sandy beach as there's some type of swimmers itch that's going around.

Just switched from Verizon to Sprint with their new Framily plan. I'm saving about $150/month, but the 4G is pretty bad. It's only available on the western side of town, as their tower is up near Winchester Hills.

I have Geico and I've been very happy with them.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,119 times
Thank you for the great feedback from everyone and yes I am moving there for work, in a few weeks.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 AM

60 posts, read 130,882 times
Popular Internet options include Baja, Centurylink, and Infowest, among other national brand name companies. I'm with Baja, overall reliable, good service although in my apartment building, the signal was in need of repairs - frequent disconnects. Heard Centurylink sucks in the outer or suburban areas as the signals are said to be weak or none at all, and as for Infowest, have not heard much, so I'm assuming although it was once the area's first and only major internet provider, not all that popular?

Sand Hollow is a local hot spot for lake-going activities just 15 minutes east of town, other local spots include Quail and Gunlock reservoirs. As mentioned by others, Powell and Mead are in close proximity. Also, Enterprise is a fun reservoir with honeycomb rocks for climbing, situated off the beaten path approx. 1 hour north of town via Hwy 18 near Enterprise. It's at higher elevation, so it offers a cool getaway during summer heat.

I recently switched from Straight Talk to Sprint's Framily Plan...about $35/mo. unlimited talk, text and 1g data. Good city coverage but kind of spotty in isolated rural areas. I found Str8 Talk had better coverage though as they used Verizon towers.

As far as insurance, GMI (Get Me Insured) located on Sunset near Bluff is a dealer offering multiple affordable insurance companies. They are known to find you the best deals, fitting your budget. However I surprisingly got a better deal through State Farm. Of course the area offers most national insurance companies as well. You'll just have to seek what fits your needs.

Goodluck in the STG!

Last edited by tylerhaynes3; 05-20-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 PM

546 posts, read 405,879 times
Bringing this thread up from the dead, since we're moving in a few weeks...

As far as cable TV goes, no Cox or Comcast or Xfinity? My new address to be doesn't come up with anything using cablemover.com....Is Baja the only game in town for cable TV?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 AM

122 posts, read 258,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
Bringing this thread up from the dead, since we're moving in a few weeks...

As far as cable TV goes, no Cox or Comcast or Xfinity? My new address to be doesn't come up with anything using cablemover.com....Is Baja the only game in town for cable TV?
Just Baja in town now called TDS(just switched names a few weeks ago still the same service with after the merger).

I had Time Warner and Comcast before I moved here and Baja is like 15 years behind. There is no on demand, basically they still over the old basic analog cable for $90 a month. Digital cable require a $6 a month box per tv but these are just digital convertor boxes not DVR's. DVR's are $24.95 a month and no buying them outright. So if you have 3 tv's with digitial service and only one dvr your bill will be $165ish and again no on demand or extra features, not even the tv guide.

St George needs competition! I doubt it will get any. For 10 years they have been promising better cable and internet and it has yet to happen. I think the poor internet is a bigger issue since streaming services are how many of us watch shows. My friend has been house hunting and we check the internet or ask a neighbor about the internet. At my current house in the south east suburban area no matter how hard Baja tried I could never get above 2-3mb service, I pay for 50mb service with centurylink and average 20mb which I am thankful for since all school textbooks are online, my kids need internet for school. I know people who live in others areas and the opposite is true Baja is better then centurylink and I know some people who have not found any provider to give decent service.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

546 posts, read 405,879 times
jAfter over a week of trying to get service from TDS, they finally tell me they can't provide service to my address. The HOA frowns on any kind of satellite dish, although they are not forbidden, so I have to believe there is a cable provider that would serve my address. This is just bizarre. It's a development with quite a few homes, so the whole subdivision isn't brand new. I was hoping for a cable/internet bundle, but I don't know how much more patience I have for my phone being my only I ternet source...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George