U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,627 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the small very diverse town of Moorpark in Ventura, CA.
For various reasons, we are considering moving to Utah...specifically, the St George area.
My five children moving with us will be 8, 11, 12, 14 and 1st year college student.
We are non-Mormons. We are non church going Christians. Funny enough, here in our small town in CA 3 out of my 7 children have had Mormon friends that have tried to convert them over the years.
Of course...my biggest concerns are whether my children will be ostracized by other children for being non-LDS.
My other concern is for my husband's business. He is a very successful independent Insurance agent (all insurance types). He would be opening a second office in Utah while maintaining his CA office. Will he have a hard time obtaining clients with him not being LDS?
ANY opinions and true honest advice is welcomed. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,883,559 times
I lived in rural Utah for 5 years, and am very much NOT LDS.

I found everyone I encountered for the most part to be incredibly kind and generous.

I know that everyone in Utah isn't, every state has its share of bad people. I was just fortunate in that I met very few of them.

I also found that certain areas are a bit clannish, in that certain influential families tend to control local politics aren't afraid to defend their jobs and businesses from competition. But, that's not particularly unique to Utah, as it seems to be quite universal to small towns.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyluvs7 View Post
We currently live in the small very diverse town of Moorpark in Ventura, CA.
For various reasons, we are considering moving to Utah...specifically, the St George area.
My five children moving with us will be 8, 11, 12, 14 and 1st year college student.
We are non-Mormons. We are non church going Christians. Funny enough, here in our small town in CA 3 out of my 7 children have had Mormon friends that have tried to convert them over the years.
Of course...my biggest concerns are whether my children will be ostracized by other children for being non-LDS.
My other concern is for my husband's business. He is a very successful independent Insurance agent (all insurance types). He would be opening a second office in Utah while maintaining his CA office. Will he have a hard time obtaining clients with him not being LDS?
ANY opinions and true honest advice is welcomed. Thanks!!
In a word or two, most probably yes.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM

359 posts, read 573,115 times
Agree, you will have a hard time in Utah. Especially your husband, people deal within the church most of the time for goods and services. Kids would have a difficult time with activities that do not involve church. Good luck! Read posts by Silverspoons... and you will better get a picture of So. Utah.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Moving to a different culture ... almost ...

Keep in mind that many people in the St. George area do come from the area where you are from.
So *find* those people.

If you come with the preconceived idea that it will be hard for your husband and bad for your children, it will be bad !!

You WILL be approached by *the Missionary effort*, whether you like it or not.
But there is a way to handle that phenomenon in a good way.
You start with *I am not interested*,
that may mean you are not interested in any contact with those who proselyte.
Instead, listen and then tell them, you have to think about that.
They WILL try to get you to Church, and maybe one time you agree,
to come to one of their auxiliary meetings.
What is really *wrong* with finding out on your own what it is all about,
instead of listening to *naysayers*, who do nothing else but complain.
Check up on their previous posts and notice
if any of them have any good thing to say about anything ...

Your kids, teach them to have patience and understanding.
Do your kids really know what *tolerance* is all about ?
I know hard to do, but it will pay off !

Never say never ...
The majority of LDS converts have that as their initial reaction !!!

Now if you still have doubts, then I advice you to not take this step !
Remember ... You start with *bad*, it WILL be bad !
You start with *we are going to succeed, come hell or high water*, you will succeed.

On a side note, there is presently no hell in St. George, (as far as I am aware of),
but during bad rain storms, there may be a lot of high water ...
You may not believe this, but even whole houses have floated away during really bad rain fall ...

The LDS people admonish their people to *Stand in holy places*,
In your case, I would slightly change that to:
Do not move to places that can float away ...

It is also very hot in St. George, so when you get used to all that heat,
then when Hell arrives, you are probably used to the *heat* ...

When you do come here, and you enter Utah form the direction of Las Vegas,
please pay attention to the border signs.

Now where is my bag of salt ???
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to St George with 5 kids...non LDS.  Is this a bad idea?-utah_border_sign_tn2.jpg  

Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM

175 posts, read 473,884 times
I think the best advice I can share is to read through the posts from Silverspoons, me and others. We've all had pretty different experiences in St. George. Then, you'll have to decide what aspects of a community are most important to you and your family and if it's a good fit here.

Some initial observations for your consideration, comparing Moorpark to St. George - There is very little diversity here - significantly white with a small but growing Latino community. Politically, it's much more conservative - one of the reddest states and counties around. Socially, very conservative - family values, little drinking/smoking, debauchery. Somewhat of a Brady Bunch community (in a good way, in my opinion). Safe, compared to many other communities in the U.S. Much of this is attributed to the LDS influence - roughly 50-60% of the population. Large families (you'll fit right in...lol).

We are non-LDS. Been here 2 years now. Kids are 14 and 12. Actively involved in a non-denominational Christian church, which has provided additional close friendships etc. Our experience has been quite good. We have excellent relationships with all our neighbors (50/50 LDS/Non on our street). Kids haven't had any issues so far with friends, sports, etc. We do not feel pressured to convert and have used those opportunities to ask some thought provoking questions in return. Perhaps we've been the exception? If you do decide to move here, my advice is to consider newer neighborhoods where significant growth has created greater diversity in the makeup of those areas.

Will your kids be ostracized? I think like most parents, Mormon parents just want their kids associating with other good kids. They mostly hang out together because they go to church together and know each other. We are an unknown to them, so perhaps they see risk in that - negative influence. I have to admit I want the same for my kids (and there are some LDS kids we prefer our kids not hang out with - keep in mind, we all fall short). So, if you're a family with good values, caring, loving etc. they may be more likely to accept you and your kids.

Your husband's business - you might look at it from two perspectives. Mormons like to support Mormons. I like to support those from my church. That happens everywhere, but it's more pronounced here due to the size of the LDS church. It is what it is. On the other hand, the area is growing rapidly and many of those moving here are non-LDS. It goes both ways as they tend to do business with non-LDS businesses. When we moved here, we sought out a non-LDS realtor (thinking they would understand our needs better). They are very successful, just because of that. The same thing might translate for your husband as people moving need insurance and usually a new agent. The fact he has his CA office is a nice fallback if it's slow going to start with.

For what it's worth, we love the area. It's especially nice for those that like to be outdoors...well maybe not in July/Aug LOL. Haven't regretted a thing yet, but understand others have had pretty bad experiences. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George