Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 68,217 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been looking at making a move to St. George for a while now. I tend to do a lot of research anytime I do something (big or small), which is why my St. George research is 2 years in the making. I have been living in SLC since I was 9 and I love it here, great place to raise a family. I have heard great things about St. Jorge, but I also read a lot of things that make me think twice about the "Politics". I know some people tend to exaggerate, we're all humans, no one is perfect.

My main questions are:
1- Will I only get a good job if I l know the right person? I have a very strong background in Cust Serv, account management and call center management.
2- Will your kids only get to play on a sports team if you have a well known Last Name? This is from someone I know who grew up in St. George. My kids don't play sports yet, but if that is true, that's messed up.
3- Does having the "well known" last name get your foot in the door or will they actually look at your experience?

I don't get offended so if you have something on your mind, just say it. We're all adults.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Default So many replies!

Whoa! One at a time, please.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,797,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted? View Post
Whoa! One at a time, please.
Not any answers yet, because whoever lives there are REALLY not all there ...

If you think you need a *well known* name, you CAN legally change your name !

On the other hand, all people there *tend* a lot !
Especially when they exaggerate !
They are ALL humans !
And NONE of them are perfect !
In essence you answered your own questions !

I like the way you think that it is OK to be offended if you are NOT an adult !

If you do get upset about the above, you are not having your bag of salt with you !

Last edited by irman; 09-25-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Thank you for NOT helping! I really appreciate it!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM

175 posts, read 592,715 times
Converted,

I was waiting for more qualified folks to post. Since that's not happening, I'll give my two cents. We've lived here for a year after moving from the mid-west. So, we don't have a prestigious name, are non-LDS and don't own half the town. The "good ole boy" network exists pretty much anywhere (think politics), although it's probably more prevalent in smaller towns/cities. We've not found it to be excessive or prohibitive for us so far. I think there's a movement away from the good ole boy way as several local governments have had legal issues related to this if I recall. Perhaps that's trickling down to businesses.

You asked these questions:
1- Will I only get a good job if I l know the right person? I have a very strong background in Cust Serv, account management and call center management.

I think this has been discussed in other posts. I work out of my home for a company far away, so I don't know the job market well. I'd have to think smart/successful businesses hire the best candidates - highly dependent on skill set and translating experience, including the ability to demonstrate results. If a business hires based on nepotism, political/name reasons over skills, they will not succeed long-term. So, do you really want to work for that business in the first place?

My wife, who has a pretty diverse skill set, was able to find work rather quickly. I think the answer to this question is highly dependent on the individual, type of work desired, skill set, education, drive, and the alignment of skills to the businesses in the area. For example, you may be the best marine biologist in the world, but there aren't a lot of those jobs here - well except for maybe getting rid of snails and swimmers itch at Sand Hollow. They have a lot of distribution centers here, so you may find your skill set to be a good fit there??? I'm guessing Intermountain HC and Skywest have call centers, so that might be fit too.

2- Will your kids only get to play on a sports team if you have a well known Last Name? This is from someone I know who grew up in St. George. My kids don't play sports yet, but if that is true, that's messed up.

My kids - 5th and 7th grade. They play multiple sports - some they excel at, some they don't. Deep down, we probably all think our kids are better than they really are - that's based in our love for them. In all instances, they have played just as much as any other kid, if not more. Perhaps this is an issue once you get to High School, but I know a few coaches at that level and they really want to win. So, again, I think it's probably not widespread. Could it also be that athletic families are better at sports. If grandpa, dad, and older brothers have all been football stars at Dixie High, chances are, junior will be good to. That's not giving someone a spot because of their name, it's playing the best people (and that could be one in the same). I'm sure the Mannings heard that growing up...now both have Super Bowl rings. Perhaps it's self fulfilling. Perhaps it's that they get an opportunity just because of who they are. But, at some point, you have to prove yourself. As heated as some of the rivalries are here, I'd have to think if your child is the best basketball player in town and is sitting on the bench because they don't have a famous name, and their team is losing, people know and will be up in arms (I'm talking pitchforks and torches).

3- Does having the "well known" last name get your foot in the door or will they actually look at your experience?

See answer 1. In general though, I'd say absolutely...except this happens everywhere. People with well known names, with networking referals, who are good looking (according to Dateline), etc. all probably get interviews (right or wrong). I've interviewed referrals before just as a courtesy. But, I've never hired anyone not qualified. If it was a tie, I'd probably go with the referral (less risk).

One thing I'll say is that in today's businesses world, experience holds less value than it did in the past. Because of the economy and cost cutting, they are hiring very specific skills and are looking for you to describe how your past results (not activities) will translate to future results. With immense competitive pressures these days, there must be flexibility to change and adapt products, skills, processes very quickly - especially in high tech industries. I might have 20 years of experience fixing electronics...like 8-tracks and VCR's. But, that experience is obsolete. So, do everything you can to make sure your skills, rather than experience, are fresh and relevant so they match the opportunities that lay ahead. Or, be able to demonstrate how you've quickly adapted over and over to changes in our fast paced business world. I've probably interviewed over 1000 people and the cream quickly rises, it's not very plentiful, and doesn't usually have a famous name in my experience.

Best wishes.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 AM

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm getting close to making a decision but just have a few more things to look over. My main concern was not being to get a job. I really appreciate the advice, and I have to say that adapting to new environments is what has helped me get hired on to great companies. Thanks again.

May I ask why you decided to move to St. George?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM

You're quite welcome!

Why we moved is a long story, four years in the making, which some I'm sure will wish you hadn't asked about. I spent the first 38 years of life doing things my way. I've heard it explained that everyone is born with a God shaped hole in their heart. It yearns to be filled, and we try to fill it with anything we can - work, hobbies, drugs, sex, etc. Only, none of them fit, and we're often too proud to fill it with God. That was me. I finally realized my way wasn't the best way and declared spiritual bankruptcy, surrendered to God and everything changed from there. So, that's really how this exciting adventure began.

We're now a family of strong faith - somewhat like the Duck Dynasty clan, minus the ducks. Ha! We have conservative social and political values. Living in Illinois was a very unfriendly environment to raise a family, given the invasive progressive influence, which stems from the leadership in that state (many of whom are now in prison) and our country in general. There seems to be a movement forming across the nation to revert back to our roots - to areas that support conservative family values; where people honor biblical principles, rather than file lawsuits to get rid of them.

I've also found that when you spend time with God, reading his word, praying, enjoying his amazing creations, you're more in tune with Him and his purpose for you. I think he was always speaking to me (figuratively - although I believe he does so literally to some), I just never listened. But, I do now. Through experience I've learned that when the big guy asks, it's wise to act. I know this may sound silly to some, but there were many signs over the past few years that made it pretty clear this is where God wanted us to be for some reason. However, there were many barriers in place (work, family, money, etc.). Like puzzle pieces, every single one of them fell in place at exactly the right time (I've also found his timing to be quite remarkable).

So, the answer to your question is that we were really led here, and four years later, we followed in faith (which was scary as we'd only ever lived in one city). It was the best thing we've ever done. Note - When you become a Christian, God never promises life will be easy, he just promises he'll always be by our side. But, I've found that when I'm faithful to follow his plan, life's often happy, happy, happy.

We're still figuring out our purpose here. Maybe it's to help our church, to raise our family in a better environment, or to share our struggles and imperfections with others. The longer we're here, the more I'm feeling it's related to sharing the message of "grace" (Kindness from God we don't deserve. There is nothing we have done, nor can ever do to earn his favor. The favor God gives freely without expecting something in return). As you may know, this area has a significant population who believe in a "works" religion. The problem, it's a recipe for failure since we can never measure up to God's perfection. That burden is very heavy and visible to us as we interact with our neighbors and members of this community (I'm not sure they see it). It's oppressive, depressive, and it breaks our hearts to see people not experiencing the same grace God showers down on us daily. So, we just love on them, hoping they'll want what we have some day. That's been our mission so far.

There you go - that's our story.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM

43 posts, read 72,786 times
Talking Non-LDS options in St. George?

Dear Duck Dynasty Folk!

LOL

So, you mentioned that you are non-LDS, but Christian and conservative.
How's that working out in St. George?

Cuz that's where we are. I'd love to know... even as a pastor!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Pastor,

So far, we couldn't be happier with our decision to move here (from IL), especially when you consider the financial and social differences between the two states. As I've said in other posts, IL had become a very difficult place to raise a family with conservative values. St. George is significantly different in many ways. It's like we stepped back in time in some respects - and for us, we see that as a good thing and it works. Life is more simple here. But, I also realize this community may not be to everyone's liking, and I respect that. Look at both sides and you can decide what's best for your needs.

While I may not agree with LDS docterine, they are (generalizing) good, wholesome, friendly people. Their influence in the community has more positives than negatives IMO. For the most part, parents are involved and family is important. IMO, one of the major issues in our country is the disintegration of the family and its repurcussions. That has not happened here to the same degree. It all adds up to decent schools and a better environment for kids (who grow up way too fast these days).

I want to make it clear that life is not perfect here. Like most families, we have ups and downs and struggles. Our kids, who were on board with our move have adjusted well, have made friends, but at times struggle with developing deeper friendships. At 13 and 11, perhaps that's to be expected. Life was not all roses where we came from, so we didn't expect that here. But, I would say it's easier to raise kids and stay close as a family here. Clearly, the best part of our move has been the sheer beauty of this place and surrounding areas. We are big outdoors people and have taken advantage of that. We made a ton of great memories this year - as a family. That's something I place a high value on since we don't have much longer before they're off to college.

I'll leave you with one thing to consider as a pastor. Though Utah has population of a 2.6 million people, on any given Sunday, only 2% attend services at an evangelical gospel preaching church. It's one of the worlds most overlooked mission fields. I guess what I mean by that is perhaps we're not here solely for our own benefit. Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 13,170 times
What churches do you recommend? We are considering moving to St George in a year or so. What neighborhoods do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George