U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 AM

734 posts, read 1,331,287 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to St. George in a year or two (upon retirement). We will be taking a four-day trip there the first week of June to check out the area, after visiting family in Southern California. We will fly into Las Vegas and then drive to St. George since it looks like McCarran is the closest airport. We will stay at a hotel in St. George and rent a car. Does anyone have any suggestions of things we can do or what to look for to get a feel for the area?

Also, I know that St. George gets some snow during the winter months, but I don't really know how much is the norm. This past winter, how much snow did St. George get, and if it did get snow, was it just an inch or two that disappeared pretty quickly, or was it a lot at a time that stayed on the ground for awhile? And was the amount pretty much average for the year? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:22 AM

6,868 posts, read 7,069,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to St. George in a year or two (upon retirement). We will be taking a four-day trip there the first week of June to check out the area, after visiting family in Southern California. We will fly into Las Vegas and then drive to St. George since it looks like McCarran is the closest airport. We will stay at a hotel in St. George and rent a car. Does anyone have any suggestions of things we can do or what to look for to get a feel for the area?

Also, I know that St. George gets some snow during the winter months, but I don't really know how much is the norm. This past winter, how much snow did St. George get, and if it did get snow, was it just an inch or two that disappeared pretty quickly, or was it a lot at a time that stayed on the ground for awhile? And was the amount pretty much average for the year? Thanks much.
We have a second home in St. George that we eventually expect to retire too. We spend the vast majority of our time in Northern Utah though. I will share with you what you ought to do to get a feel for the area:

1. See if any plays are going on at the Tuacahn Theater in June. If one is than get two tickets and go see the performance. The Tuacahn Theater is an outdoor theater set in a redrock canyon. If you aren't simply overwhelmed by the experience of seeing a play in this setting than you probably would prefer to live somewhere else.

2. Visit Snow Canyon State Park and take some time to hike around the park. Its a another red rock canyon that is full of stone formations and natural wonders. Possibly you would enjoy a picnic lunch inside the park and should pack one for that trip.

3. If you have any interest in swimming than visit the Aquatic Center in Santa Clara (suburb of St. George). Its quite a large and nice place to swim.

4. Go out to the Dixie Center and visit the Wildlife Museum that is located there. Also, realize this center is used for a certain number of conferences and exhibitions that come to town. You may be able to get a list of events that will be happening.

5. If you golf, bring along your clubs. There is an immense amount of golfing in this area and most courses operate year round.

6. Just drive along the Snow Canyon Parkway from St. George to Ivins and admire desert, the landscaping, and the home developments that are going up there. (If you go to Snow Canyon State Park and/or the Tuacahn Theater you will drive along this road). The other road you should take a drive on is the Red Cliffs Parkway. This runs along the cliffs above St. George and its quite a sight at night to stare down at the buildings in the valley in downtown St. George.

7. If so inclined, ask about hikes to Indian petroglyphs in the nearby area.

St. George is not San Diego, California. It does get cold most winters. Although, this winter was very strange. The largest storm occurred in early March and actually left an inch or two of snow briefly on the ground. Generally though, any snow you get does melt quickly and St. George with its elevation of about 2700 feet has the warmest weather in the state of Utah.

Understand that the area is not for everyone and if you read this forum carefully you will find plenty of negative comments. Seeing is believing though and if you are able to spend a few days in the area you should get a good sense if it is for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 AM

291 posts, read 436,980 times
FYI, I checked on flights from Las Vegas for my husband to visit family in GA. Price into St. George was only about $60. more, and there are car rentals right there at the airport.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM

188 posts, read 198,578 times
Markg91359 did a fantastic job on area attractions…I will add the cliche- Zion National Park is St George Utah's prime attraction and gem of the desert southwest. 40 minutes NE of the city, worth your time. This time of year is perfect to check it out.
As far as snow, it will snow each year. A few inches, typically gone within a few days and sunshine returning quickly.
Just enough to make it fun and change things up

You ought to go check out Kayenta- west of Ivins. It is really quite spectacular out there and serene.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Thanks so much everyone for the great suggestions. St. George is one of the places we are considering, in addition to areas in Arizona and Nevada. If anyone else has anything to add, it will be much appreciated.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,335 times
We too are thinking of retiring/ moving to St. George soon. Spent many years vacationing in Arizona thinking that is where we would end up. Then we discovered the southwest Utah high desert. At 2800ish feet/Ivins 3000 it cools down at night even when the daytime highs are extreme. St. George in the winter (Dec. Jan) is cooler but 55ish daytime and sunny works for me. Phoenix is about 1100 feet and does not cool off much at night in the summer and has more humidity although still dry. Great city/area to do stuff especially if you are younger and working but crime, traffic population, dust storms, etc are things to consider if you are older! Tucson is a little cooler than Phoenix and affordable. Nevada is more tax friendly but you get what you pay for. Some might find St. George to be a little isolated which might be a good thing.

St. George has a newer airport but you have to connect through Salt Lake (or Denver) but found it to be quite easy.
Of course flying into Vegas is cheaper but you have a 2 hour drive. I researched the area for years and finally went out
last October. Spectacular area in general, great infrastructure and so clean! Will use Vegas as a retreat for shopping,
restaurants, etc. The Ivins/Kayenta area is awesome as someone mentioned.

Check out THE INN ON THE CLIFF. Opened last year this time. Great little hotel (25ish rooms) with a nice pool and restaurant overlooking St. George.

Just my opinions.......Probably stuff you already know!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 AM

169 posts, read 344,240 times
Rosanne,

Great suggestions above. Here are few more you might consider (some a little 'outside' the immediate St. George area but part of the southwest Utah experience):

* If you go to Zion, spend a couple hours in Springdale. It's one of our favorite little towns with mostly mom and pop type shops and restaurants. Just a neat little community.

* One of my favorite (and most impressive) things to do which is often overlooked - on a clear night (which is most of them) drive out in the country once it gets dark and check out the night sky. You'll be impressed with how bright the Milky Way is and how many stars you can see. Cedar Breaks National Monument is also a great place to view dark skies (but it will be cold still in June) and takes about 1:15 to get there. Maybe head up to the New Harmony area on I-15 and drive a bit away from the freeway (30 minutes). It's worth the drive and staying up late (won't get dark until around 10:00 that time of year).

* The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only 2:30 away. Even if you've seen the South Rim, it's worth the time. It's one of our favorite places - only 10% of visitors to the Grand Canyon go to the North Rim (much more intimate and rugged). Have a coffee or tea on the back patio overlooking the canyon. Very relaxing. Get dinner reservations at the lodge or stop at Jacob Lake Inn for dinner on the way back. Both are good.

* Drive up to Pine Valley for a picnic. Save room and stop at Veyo Pies on the way back for dessert...my favorite pies.

As for snow, expect a dusting to an inch one or two times each winter. It's often gone the same day. Winter here is actually my favorite time of year. With 90%+ clear sunny skies, little wind and temps around 60, it feels much warmer. Perfect for outdoor activities like hiking and biking. Love the warm sun and cool air combo.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Thanks GoOutsideAndPlay for the great suggestions.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 AM

291 posts, read 436,980 times
Thought I might mention that Ivins is beautiful, but more remote (for shopping) and I know people that had $400 electric bills during the summer. Something to consider for people on a fixed income.

I second the Veyo Pies...my favorite too!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM

546 posts, read 247,788 times
I've heard Dixie Power has great electric rates, if you're in their area, but may not be so fortunate elsewhere in the region.

I can say $400 electric bills when we lived in Vegas a few years ago were not uncommon. It's not that much cooler in St George. Of course, it all depends on size and energy efficiency of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George