Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 AM

546 posts, read 408,340 times

Advertisements

Just a couple of dog related questions.

I saw on a local realty page that there are only 17 veterinarians in St George. Do you who are pet owners think that is enough? Is it easy enough to get in to see your vet? Is emergency care readily available? Are there any vets you would especially recommend? Experience with northern breeds would be a plus!

I had a great vet in Las Vegas (moved from Vegas to my current state 5 years ago), and would consider making the drive if I had to for routine things, but would prefer not to if good veterinary care is available locally. Plus, I obviously wouldn't make the drive in an emergency, so I would need a local Plan B.

And dog parks... Most of the ones here in Texas have separate areas for large and small dogs. If the small dog owners don't stay in the small dog side, it's at their own risk. My two are boisterous when playing, and could accidentally injure a small dog just trampling over them when they race around, so an area for big dogs only is a plus.

What are the best dog parks in your opinion, keeping in mind it should have two sections?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:42 AM

175 posts, read 594,882 times
Husky,

We've never had any issues with getting in to see our vet. We go to the Washington Family Vet Clinic near Costco and have found them to be very good. Washington Family Veterinary Clinic - Veterinarian In St. George; UT; USA :: Home

We live in Washington and they have a dog park - with 2 separate areas. We've only been a few times as our dog is not a dog park kind of dog. Check it out here:
Recreation - Parks - Parks - Dog Town Dog Park - Washington City, Utah - Where Dixie Begins
St. George also has a park with 2 areas - JC Snow Park

One thing to keep an eye out for is fungal infection for dogs in the southwest. I think it's called Valley Fever. Fungus spores in the sand/dirt can cause lung problems (for dogs and humans). A friend of ours lost their dog to it as they didn't diagnose it early. Not sure it's a huge problem, but have heard some areas of the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve are higher in spores than other. Something to ask your vet if you walk your dogs on dirt trails in the area. Learn more here: Fungal Infection (Coccidioidomycosis) in Dogs | petMD

Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:59 PM

546 posts, read 408,340 times
Phew! Good to know the parks have different areas for large and small dogs. Mapped them out, and they are both closer to our future home than the closest one to me now! Sweet!

And I thought heartworms were bad, this fungus sounds worse... It's always something, I guess...

Thanks for the information!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,691 times
Default My vet story

I have loved, cared and nurtured my cat for 14 years and 1 month. It took Washington Family Intern Vet 1-1/2 days to take him out with an overdose of medication.

I'm done with these vets.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 51,717 times
I use Dr. Brinkerhoff at Dixie Veterinary. He provides excellent care & demonstrates the compassion I want in a vet. They are located on Dixie Dr. a short distance from the Sunset/Dixie intersection.

Re: Dog parks, there is one on Dixie Downs Dr. near Snow Canyon Pkwy. I have not used it as 1 of my dogs is a rescue & does not like being near other dogs.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,691 times
Default Dixie Vet

My 12 yr old cat had a blood and T4 test done on the 10th by Dixie Vet. I have not gotten a call back with test results as of yet. Even after I contacted them 3 times for someone to call me back. Today is the 16th. Called again. Receptionist said will have Vet call tomorrow the 17th. I've been worried about my cat now going on 7 days! COMPASSION?? I think not.

Never going there again.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,872 times
The one on Dixie Downs is at Firehouse park, it has the separated for big dogs, the other one is for small breeds and disabled or older dogs.

There is also a doggie park down by the skate park across from Fiesta Fun Center, havent been to that one, just saw it driving past the other day.

It seems like what is expensive here is getting our dogs groomed, much more for a doggie cut here than what we paid in northern utah.

I am sure there must be others but since i live off snow canyon pkwy, we have used the fire house park one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George