U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM

20 posts, read 15,410 times

Advertisements

I am a student in Major Appliance Repair and I will graduate next March. I plan on moving to St. George simply because I have family there, its beautiful, and I am tired of Seattle rain. I am not religious, I am gay and have a girlfriend, we have been together for 7 years, and she will be coming with me. What I would like to know, is how accepting is people in St. George for people who are gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 PM

870 posts, read 640,071 times
Ehhhh, not a ton, to be honest. I'm gay as well and it is somewhat hush hush there. Especially compared to the LGBT culture of Seattle. But, the pros really outweigh that single con, in my opinion.
It's a great place! If you go around town holding hands, kissing, etc. in public, you WILL get some weird stares.
But who cares! Be proud and show affection to your lover. Overall, you shouldn't experience any real or serious problems with it.
I am a fan of making ST G become more accepting and liberal. The gays/lesbians can have a difficult the in the narrow climate there. I'll be moving back soon too, so add one more homosexual to the list.

I've noticed Zion Ntl Park, with it's many, many tourists, has a much higher frequency of LGBT couples.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 15,410 times
Thank you

Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 PM

119 posts, read 180,073 times
I wanted to add appliance repair people are NEEDED here! I'm not sure how your line of work operates as far as apprenticeships or licenses but if you can open your own business please do! There are only a few major appliance repair companies and they are a totally rip off. I had a home warranty and an appliance under warranty and I did not have to pay but I was shocked at the rates that they charge the warranty company and how they lied about what they did.

One day my fridge went out and my husband knew what part he needed. No appliance repair would just sell him the part, he offered to pay way more then it was worth $50 for a $5 part, they wanted $300+ to for the part and install. he had to drive to Vegas to get the part, so a 4 hour trip.

My husband went to college and had a 8-5 job here. He did a repair trade in high school and decided why not try and start a repair business(not appliances). All he did was be honest and fair priced and treat people with respect and he has done very very well, much better then his 8-5 job. He will sell a part (maybe 15% over cost), he will go out nights or on sunday (if you can work on sunday, you will be set), he won't charge someone if it is something small but his fair practices have gotten him so many referrals. getting started was very low cost, small yellow page ad, logo on a truck he had and he bought basic inventory and kept building up his stock. Rent in non fancy industrial areas is dirt cheap.

Sorry to go off track but If either of my kids were mechanical (they are not) I would have told them about appliance repair is a great option here.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM

127 posts, read 327,910 times
Was there an extra DMV fee for the logo on the truck?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 PM

119 posts, read 180,073 times
At first my husband just got those magnetic logos for the rear and side doors. After about 18 months he got custom decals put on it. We have different insurance coverage on his truck and which is slightly more (but still way cheaper then our rates in New England), I don't believe the DMV cost more or if it did it was not very much money.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:15 PM

546 posts, read 323,913 times
I just recently moved here, and joined a handful of Utah based Facebook groups (none political in nature).

For what it's worth, I have seen an abundance of rainbowed profile pictures in the Utah groups I'm in, in the wake of the SC decision on SSM.

Obviously not a scientific sample, but it would appear you may have more allies here than you expect.

I have also heard from a friend in the SLC area that St George is considerably more tolerant than up north (with the exception of Park City).

I wish you luck on your move. It is beautiful here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or