U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 AM

20 posts, read 15,553 times

Advertisements

Is St. George gay friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 01:11 PM

18,538 posts, read 19,527,203 times
A previous thread on the subject.

Gay Acceptance in St. George?

Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 PM

119 posts, read 181,936 times
Since the previous thread is older, I will give a 2015 opinion.

If you are moving to saint George and are single and gay and looking for a partner it will be hard. There is much of a social scene for anyone, no bars, clubs, or many ways to meet people. If you are gay and not looking for anyone or in a relationship unless you move into a few select neighborhoods, you would be fine. My kids have had gay teachers and I had never seen anyone get upset or ask for their kids to leave a class. I saw gay teacher at my kids school bring their partners to school so it was out in the open. I would say public displays of affection would be frowned upon, but they are also frowned upon for heterosexual couples.

My husband owns a repair business and he says there is a much larger gay community, especially over 50 then anyone knows about here. He says several times a week does work for gay couples, most live in quiet affluent areas of the city.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how LGBT has changed for the under 18's. I lived in a large east coast city for years so when I came to Utah in the early 2000's , school were fighting clubs and parents had their kids hide their orientation and move away for college to a larger city I was taken back. Today I believe every high school has a club (though small) and I have seen kids be open at dances, music performances and school activites. I have been most happy seeing how well a recent transgender transition was handled at my child's school. I honestly was a bit worried because there are still pockets of very conservative people , it was handled so well by the school and teachers, I was very happy for the child.

Remember St George is conservative, doesn't matter if you are gay or straight. People like neighbors that are quiet, respectful, keep their yard up, modest dressed, and will watch out for the neighborhood. Also picking a neighborhood that fits your situation, a family neighborhood only if you have kids(Family neighborhoods are so packed with kids under 10, again gay or straight I wouldn't want to live with literally 100-200-300 kids in a subdivision unless that was the phase of life I was in. There are over 55 neighborhoods, more rural areas or closer to the college, so if you pick the right neighborhood and be a good neighbor I think St George will be okay for you.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 17,734 times
Thank you for this Silver. My partner and I are building a home in Ivins (Near Tuahcahn) and plan on moving in after the first of the year.
We are in our late 40's and pretty boring, so I hope the neighbors will quickly see just how normal we really are. Its a small subdivision (25 homes) and I am anxious and nervous to see how the neighbors will respond to "those guys" that live on the corner.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,148,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypwjr View Post
Thank you for this Silver. My partner and I are building a home in Ivins (Near Tuahcahn) and plan on moving in after the first of the year.
We are in our late 40's and pretty boring, so I hope the neighbors will quickly see just how normal we really are. Its a small subdivision (25 homes) and I am anxious and nervous to see how the neighbors will respond to "those guys" that live on the corner.
Good luck Jerry. St. George use to be very difficult for gays. I have a friend who, with his partner, tried it years ago. They relocated, given the challenges that were too difficult at that time. Fortunately for you, time has passed and the population is larger.

A lot depends on what you do and as you mention above, how "boring" you both are. I always suggest those moving into a neighborhood where they don't know how they will be received, hold a small block party for neighbors. Invite the adults for desert and ask their opinions about the best stores, restaurants etc. It doesn't matter if you use those suggestions or not. It's a way for everyone to meet.

I don't know what you and your partner do. Perhaps you want your neighbors to know or not. Ask if there is a neighborhood watch or other neighborhood volunteer projects. It's very difficult for most people to turn down extra help in a volunteer setting. Ivins is different than Bloomington or other areas. Ask your neighbors if they have concerns about Ivins etc.

Ultimately, you have no power to make any neighbor or other person see you in any light. Their opinions are their own, based on many factors. What you can control is taking the initiative to meet your neighbors with an open house, sharing your thoughts and concerns, be they political or about movies, or city government etc. I would insist on boundaries....no bedroom type talk for anyone...I doubt you want to know those details about your neighbors. Give yourself the goals of learning their names and trying to get to know even one person better. Focus on what you share as people...clearly red rock draws everyone. Ask what detergent works best with red rock soil etc. Ask which families are influential in the area. That is always a fascinating question, regardless of location.

Keep your hopes high and expectations lower. Then you will have success. Let your neighbors blow you away with what is cool and great about them. Re-assure them you dislike wild parties, or like them, based on what they say, just like your new neighbors thought they would get in that neighborhood.

It's hard to say as I have no idea how many are natives vs. others who moved from other cities ( another useful thing to learn about your neighbors).

Good luck! Just remember, ultimately you can't control what they think of the two of you. But, you can show them you are kind, care about others and want to help make the community is better for everyone

MSR

Old 09-19-2015, 12:45 AM

889 posts, read 655,227 times
Quote:
You'll be fine. One of my gay best friends and his boyfriend live in Kayenta (just northwest of Ivins), and they haven't had any issues. They are both early 40's and have dated awhile. There are way more gays and lesbians in STG than most people know. Some just keep on the DL though. I think you will like living there.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Thank you both so much. I plan on doing just what you suggested. Getting involved in the community and showing that we care about our home and neighborhood.

We are at an age where a block party sounds great! As long as we can still be in bed by 9:30 .
We really are homebody's. My favorite part of the day is coming home and throwing on some sweats and a t-shirt, and starting dinner.

Once the home is finished being built, I will move in first while my partner sells the house here in Los Angeles. I am both nervous and excited.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,148,996 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much. I plan on doing just what you suggested. Getting involved in the community and showing that we care about our home and neighborhood.

We are at an age where a block party sounds great! As long as we can still be in bed by 9:30 .
We really are homebody's. My favorite part of the day is coming home and throwing on some sweats and a t-shirt, and starting dinner.

Once the home is finished being built, I will move in first while my partner sells the house here in Los Angeles. I am both nervous and excited.
In thinking about your thread for awhile, Jerry, my concern would be mostly knowing where your neighbors are from. What I mean is often UT natives or long time transplants are inaccurately blamed for the behaviors and views of "some in the neighborhood." But upon closer inspection, the problem neighbors have recently moved to the area as well.

Ultimately, I think you and your partner will be welcomed additions to the neighborhood, with all you have to offer. When one focuses on how to help make "our community better," rarely does that backfire. You may not get a neighborhood watch assignment after 10:00 p.m., if you're in bed by 9:30. But Yes to the Block Party

Let us know how it goes.

MSR

Old 09-28-2015, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,806 times
Hi Guys, not to be the Kibosh-Caboose in your up-beat Utah Welcome Wagon Train, but do consider the prudence of keeping in mind these facts: S. Utah is the most conservative part of a very conservative state, and the predominant faith in S. Utah is the L.D.S. Church, whose dogma classifies homosexuality as sinful in the eyes of God. Commentary credentials: I was raised in (and out) of that religion, graduated from BYU, lost any credence in cockamamie church doctrine over the years, and in 2006 my wife and I retired from Calif. to St. George, our rose-tinted glasses firmly in place. Very soon, social REALITY came into clear focus, raw and unfiltered through that beguiling red-rock tint. (Still, gotta love those rocks!) After 3 valiant years, we high-tailed it back across the border, leaving the Marmons to: their Righteousness, blind obedience to some really wacky beliefs, their patented "Utah Culture", as it was, and their delight in refusing any informed nutritional breakthroughs beyond WonderBread and the like. But hey, there IS hope for you! A Dixie College (then) instructor was very open in introducing his male companion as his companion to the French class --with no apparent ripples, so times DO change. And once again Utah needs brave pioneers --this time of a different "stripe" than in the 1800's. My parting advice to thee: Discretion. Call it "Dixie Discretion" and you'll be good! Keep us all posted? Would love to follow your St. George Story-Saga . . . hoping it's not all that rocky --steve in Carmel.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Thank you Steve,

Well. I plan on rolling with the punches, keeping my side of the street clean and killing any negativity with kindness.
I will keep you all posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or