Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:34 AM

62 posts, read 151,697 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My spouse is eyeing a job possibility in Cedar City and we're trying to gather data about it. We've driven through it plenty of times before, so we know what it looks like on a very general level, but we have kids and are curious about family life in the town. So tell me, how are the schools? Our kids lean towards the nerdy academic side, and have enjoyed orchestra in other places we've lived. We also have cross country runners--anyone know much about the XC scene? Is there just one high school, or more?

How's the library?

Any bookstores in town? Or do you go to STG for that?

How easy is it to find rental housing for families (as opposed to apartments for single people)? We'd eventually buy a house if it all worked out, but we'd rent at first to get a feel for the place.

We've lived in a lot of places and our kids are fairly adaptable (ie we are not scared of small towns, people with different ways of thinking, etc.). But it always helps to have a sense of the place beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:03 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,471,559 times
Sorry I can only answer a few of your questions.

Cedar does have two high schools, Cedar High, and Canyon View High. Cedar has some decent bookstores around town; there's one off of Main Street. Renting initially is a smart choice, and rent in cedar is about as cheap as it gets. Very affordable. I think you should easily be able to find housing for a family. Try craigslist. Overall, family friendly town.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Thanks, Dude! Good to hear.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:43 PM

404 posts, read 1,191,367 times
ALso Google property management companies in Cedar. The Ashdown Forest area is very nice. N of I-15. The Success Academy is an early college school affiliated with SUU. It is a great opportunity. There are plenty of athletic events at SUU and the arts and education programs have children events. Not sure how the XC running is for kids but I do know that one of the SUU students (who has since graduated) was on the Olympic track team. He credited living in Cedar City (5500-6000 feet above sea level) and training up at Brian HEad (over 10k ft) with helping his training program.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 PM

413 posts, read 1,585,499 times
If you're not LDS, then your kids experience will be crapshoot. You might get lucky and then again you might not.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:15 PM

^ I've noticed this kind of comment come up a lot on these boards. I dunno, I've lived in a lot of places where there is a religious majority that I don't belong to (all different ones, including people who claim no religion at all). What I've seen is that a) there's decent in most people, b) there's also human nature, which means that sometimes, people will be hypocrites, and c) one bad example often stands out in people's minds more than 99 good ones. My kids have had friends who were Mormon, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, etc. People aren't monolithic. Even when we've been "foreigners" and everyone else has been a different flavor, we've usually found *something* to connect with people over.

Now, if everyone in town hated nature (you have what, five national parks nearby?), then there might be a concern.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:21 PM

413 posts, read 1,585,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
^ I've noticed this kind of comment come up a lot on these boards. I dunno, I've lived in a lot of places where there is a religious majority that I don't belong to (all different ones, including people who claim no religion at all). What I've seen is that a) there's decent in most people, b) there's also human nature, which means that sometimes, people will be hypocrites, and c) one bad example often stands out in people's minds more than 99 good ones. My kids have had friends who were Mormon, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, etc. People aren't monolithic. Even when we've been "foreigners" and everyone else has been a different flavor, we've usually found *something* to connect with people over.

Now, if everyone in town hated nature (you have what, five national parks nearby?), then there might be a concern.
Utah is an entirely different animal. Normal rules do not necessarily apply.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Utah is an entirely different animal. Normal rules do not necessarily apply.
Disagree. No need to be overly concerned.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the welcoming words, Dude. I appreciate it.

Since "schools" are in my subject heading, how does the college fit into the town, anyway? I've seen some college towns where yes, everyone knows there is one, but unless you're a student, there's not really any reason to set foot on campus. I've seen others where it's a vibrant part of town, with a lot of community outreach/events open to the public, sports teams people love to watch, etc. What's SUU's place in town?

Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM

I would say SUU tends to fall into the latter category that you mention. I have friends up there that will go watch the volleyball and basketball games on their days off, take their families with them. Overall good community relationship with the university. Big fan of cedar…if it weren't so cold in winter I'd be there, you'll enjoy it. I'm in STG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: