U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM

124 posts, read 129,671 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

I would like to know whether or not y'all enjoy life in St. George. What is the local cultural/arts scene like? Any good recreational spots to choose from nearby? How are the locals?Yes, I'm aware that it is mostly LDS, but if I'm not mistaken, there are a few very beautiful Episcopal churches (my denomination) in the area. Finally, I'd like to know if a) it is a good place for a college graduate, and b) how hot do the summers usually get? I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as Arizona, but is it bearable? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 03:08 PM

865 posts, read 635,965 times
I love St George. This area is pristine and has so much outdoor recreation to offer. There are plenty of college graduates here. Myself being one. It depends on what your field of study is. I am in healthcare. I plan to live in this area a very long time.

There is something about the people here. They are friendly and cheery for the most part. People smile as you make your way around town. There are a lot of old people that drive slow, too. I can't speak much on arts scene, people seem to love Tuacahn outdoor amphitheater, though. Recreation is endless…We offer Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Snow Canyon State Park, Grand Canyon (only a few hours southeast), Las Vegas less than 2 hour drive, Cedar mountain for hiking, camping, hunting, snowboarding and skiing, etc. 3 reservoirs within the county for water recreation. A brand new airport.

There are Episcopal churches here most definitely.

Summer temps- Usually hang out around 105-112 degrees. Can get higher but usually not sustained. Summer monsoon thunderstorms are amazing here. If you can handle an Arizona Sonoran desert summer, you can easily handle it here. We are high mojave desert.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:23 PM

124 posts, read 129,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude91 View Post
I love St George. This area is pristine and has so much outdoor recreation to offer. There are plenty of college graduates here. Myself being one. It depends on what your field of study is. I am in healthcare. I plan to live in this area a very long time.

There is something about the people here. They are friendly and cheery for the most part. People smile as you make your way around town. There are a lot of old people that drive slow, too. I can't speak much on arts scene, people seem to love Tuacahn outdoor amphitheater, though. Recreation is endless…We offer Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Snow Canyon State Park, Grand Canyon (only a few hours southeast), Las Vegas less than 2 hour drive, Cedar mountain for hiking, camping, hunting, snowboarding and skiing, etc. 3 reservoirs within the county for water recreation. A brand new airport.

There are Episcopal churches here most definitely.

Summer temps- Usually hang out around 105-112 degrees. Can get higher but usually not sustained. Summer monsoon thunderstorms are amazing here. If you can handle an Arizona Sonoran desert summer, you can easily handle it here. We are high mojave desert.
I dont live in AZ, I'm from Tennessee. I was just using it as a point of comparison. 3 things I hate about nashville: summer humidity, spring/fall downpours, and pollen. Are any of those a problem in St. George.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 PM

865 posts, read 635,965 times
Pollen yes, the other two not so much.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 AM

305 posts, read 466,519 times
There's plenty of pollen. As Dude91 said, St. George is in the corner of the Mojave Desert, so it does get hot, but it is dry and not humid and there are summer thunderstorms.

Read the St. George News on Facebook and pay particular attention to the comments. It will give you an idea of the culture. Best to know up front what you're getting in to.

I live in Cedar City, which is cooler and at a higher elevation. There's a Shakespeare Festival and they're building an art museum.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM

359 posts, read 572,198 times
I was interested to see St. George News on Facebook, couldn't find it or comments? Do you have a link?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:49 AM

5,315 posts, read 10,983,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
I was interested to see St. George News on Facebook, couldn't find it or comments? Do you have a link?
Do what you see above.

Highlight that part then right click and choose one of the options ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or