Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
To answer that last question, for me yes. Not being a baptist or church of christ member is seen very negatively and you are instantly judged. This is especially apparent if you make the mistake of self identifying as an atheist or agnostic (which Texans see these two as the same thing ). Make no mistake, Texas is very religious and does not really tolerate people that aren't what they practice or people who aren't religious at all.

Unless you are in the hill country (which is almost completely hunting territory) or west Texas in the desert you aren't really free to shoot on your own property without complaints from neighbors. Several acquaintances of mine with decent sized pieces of property cannot shoot on it without their neighbors complaining to the local sheriffs for noise. That's just one example. Another example is even in the country you can get an HOA in Texas. HOAs do not allow one to be free on their own property. There are large plots of land in Texas that are being or have been sold where you would have to pay an HOA fee because they are technically in a subdivision. There are a few I've seen in Alpine in the past which turned us off from going there. This seems to be a situation caused by large ranch owners dividing up property to sell to an investment group/contractors who then turn that land in to a "subdivision" (even at 20, 30, or 40+ acres per lot) which results in an HOA "to protect the investment". I do not want to be a part of anything relating to an HOA. If my wife wants a purple house then we should be allowed to paint it purple.

Also, Texas is currently going through a political change as tens of thousands of Californians and north-easterners are relocating there every year and changing the climate. What this means is the more of these transplants from parts of the country that aren't free that come here the more of our lifestyle and freedom we will lose. Just look at what's going on with the 2nd amendment in these states. It won't be long before Texas changes forever and it becomes California Jr.

So having said all of this do you have any answers or information on any point/concern from my original post?
I wish you good luck wherever you move. However, I shudder to think of Utah becoming a refuge for people freaked out about the supposed loss of their second amendment rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 PM

390 posts, read 755,655 times
Yep, I'm worried about someone wanting the "right" to own an ak47 or AR15 because it's their right.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 38,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I wish you good luck wherever you move. However, I shudder to think of Utah becoming a refuge for people freaked out about the supposed loss of their second amendment rights.
Already is a refuge for second amendment supporters, I know at least a dozen people who moved here due to California's attack on gun owners and their loss of rights myself included. Also if you think the second amendment isn't under attack you haven't been paying attention.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:08 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556poor View Post
Maybe I drive too fast but its never taken me two hours.
Well hopefully one of the highway patrol officers catches and tickets you for disregarding safety on the road. An expensive ticket. People like you going 10-15+ mph over the speed limit on the highway... Ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 38,363 times
Sent a private message some people on here may wanna put a police speed trap near my house if I say too much

Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Don't worry you will get caught eventually.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM

560 posts, read 437,097 times
To update this thread a bit and get it back on topic, I now work remotely for the same company and just found out we have an office in Lehi. I spoke to HR yesterday and both my wife and I could transfer to that office without any trouble. I may have to move my topic to the SLC sub forum..?

So either:
  • We find some property close enough for my wife to commute to Lehi within about 1hr 15mins of
  • My wife is allowed to work remotely and we get property anywhere in the state
  • We move anywhere in the state but my wife leaves the company and finds a new job (if needed)

There is still a strong possibility we move to ID but it is now less of a dominating % chance, now its more like a 50/50 chance. If we move to ID we'd need to find new jobs and that significantly impacts the decision. Especially if we can keep these high paying jobs that we currently have in Utah. Hard to judge the land prices with so few lots fitting my criteria for sale at the moment, but it looks like the prices around that area (minus Peoa) are fairly comparable to the south. This effectively solves the job problem assuming I'm still with the company in 2~4 years when we relocate (which I plan on it if I have any say ). I'm hoping this process goes a little quicker now that the job situation may have resolved itself and that was the #1 concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
However, I shudder to think of Utah becoming a refuge for people freaked out about the supposed loss of their second amendment rights.
I believe it already is, does that bother you? The bill of rights are very important so if UT becomes that safe haven for us who treasure them then so be it.

Last edited by Mister Torgue; 05-22-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 03:47 PM

29 posts, read 43,495 times
As Texas goes bluer, due to the influx of Californians(Californians are like locusts), you'd likely fit into the Southern Utah landscape. While Utah is going bluer, Southern Utah is still pretty good.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 AM

272 posts, read 270,694 times
I really hate to do this, but you may have better luck asking either reddit or ARF. The people of the Utah City-Data forum aren't very welcoming to people whose opinions differ from their own and unfortunately for you, their opinions lean a bit further left than yours do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yep, you do ...

At 119 miles, it is easily possible to do it in less than 2 hours

At the speed limit, no way ...

Speed limit is either 75 or 80 and the distance between the two cities is 119 miles, correct?

I'm no expert on anything, in fact, I'm borderline incompetent, but just for sh*ts and giggles, hear me out for a second here. Assuming there's 60 minutes in an hour, now I could be totally wrong here because I'm no expert in time or math, but let's pretend there were 60 minutes in an hour and with a speed limit of 75 miles per hour, my non-expert guesstimation would create an equation of 75÷60= 1.25 miles per minute.

Now if I divided the distance by the speed, I believe I would come up with the time it would take to travel said speed. If my inferior brain were correct in the equation of 119 miles ÷ 1.25 miles per minute, I would yield a time of 95.2 minutes. Again, not being an expert in anything along with being borderline incompetent, I believe that 95.2 minutes is roughly an hour and a half or 1.58 hours to be exact.

So you were correct, there's no bloody way this bloke could cover 119 miles of ground at speed limit in under two hours, NO WAY AT ALL. I mean, even Google maps says it can't be done and google maps always adds in extra minutes to account for traffic.

I say we track this son of a gun down and have the Highway Patrol confiscate his driver's license!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to move from DFW Texas to SW Utah-googlemapsstgtolv.jpg  

Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedeagle View Post
As Texas goes bluer, due to the influx of Californians(Californians are like locusts), you'd likely fit into the Southern Utah landscape. While Utah is going bluer, Southern Utah is still pretty good.
Ya most Californians are lefty fools. Then they leave cause Cali is doomed. Then they keep voting blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George