Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times

Advertisements

Like pnwguy said, a big Mormon influence there.
We lived there from 1994 to the beginning of 2000. Yes, there is a heavy Mormon influence there. As in the entire state. Even where we live now in Nevada. The Mormons are super nice people and all they want to do is convert you. But it's all they know. They mean well, for the most part. I found the people in St. George to be super great and never had a problem all the time living there, except when my husband lost his job. I am sure it was illegal to fire him because he would not convert, but he never wanted to push it, and instead, we moved away. It was the Salt Lake City bosses of the firm that fired him, not the local one's. I was very ticked off about that for the longest time. Because i really liked living there at that time. Now we just visit, but not sure if we would move back there later on.
Plus, don't forget the tax on food. That, I never liked. But the overall beauty of St. George and surrounding area's makes it very appealing for many people despite a few drawbacks.

Danfrommichigan, you might like Las Vegas or surrounding areas like some of the smaller towns like Mesquite, Pahrump, Overton or Logandale. Or even Indian Springs, now that they are finally building homes there. LV doesn't get as hot as Arizona, but it still gets really hot. But it's the dry heat, where your bones and joints do not hurt anymore. Only time is during monsoon season, when it's humid on and off for a month or so, you can feel the humidity, but that is over fast. St. George also has monsoon season. But it's cooler in the summer there than LV, and colder in the winter than LV. And I like that it snows a few times as well during the winter versus where we live, we are lucky to see a flake fall. But earlier this year, we finally saw snow in LV. It was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 PM

10 posts, read 11,034 times
Yeah. I could be a little more specific. What's the humidity like? In general. In Michigan we get one low pressure system after another. Low barometric pressure causes clouds to gather, rain to fall, joints to hurt, muscles to ache and makes things kinda crappy. I need warm, sunny, dry weather. What kind of temperatures can be expected? Seasonal climate? While I'm at it, what's the cost of living like"? I figure I'll just rent a room for a few months until I can figure out the 'lay of the land', then find something a little more permanent. I'm looking at an area somewhere from say, Denver-ish west to maybe Reno or the California border(I'm thinking California will be too expensive. I'm on disability) and north/south from Denver to maybe Tuscon. Being in Michigan, we get all the horror stories about illegal immigrants and crime in general. Don't know what to believe. Can y'all clear the air a little on that? I mean, is it THAT big of a problem?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:00 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfrommichigan View Post
Yeah. I could be a little more specific. What's the humidity like? In general. In Michigan we get one low pressure system after another. Low barometric pressure causes clouds to gather, rain to fall, joints to hurt, muscles to ache and makes things kinda crappy. I need warm, sunny, dry weather. What kind of temperatures can be expected? Seasonal climate? While I'm at it, what's the cost of living like"? I figure I'll just rent a room for a few months until I can figure out the 'lay of the land', then find something a little more permanent. I'm looking at an area somewhere from say, Denver-ish west to maybe Reno or the California border(I'm thinking California will be too expensive. I'm on disability) and north/south from Denver to maybe Tuscon. Being in Michigan, we get all the horror stories about illegal immigrants and crime in general. Don't know what to believe. Can y'all clear the air a little on that? I mean, is it THAT big of a problem?
The humidity is low to very low in any of the areas of the Desert Southwest. The average relative humidity is probably lowest in Vegas, at around 29%. Phoenix, at 36%. Tucson, at 38%. Compare that to anywhere in Michigan, where the average humidity is in the low 70% range. I'm not sure about the exact number in St. George, but from visiting there, I'd say it's in the same range as those other major metro areas in the Desert Southwest. Probably higher than Vegas (which gets the least rain), but lower than Tucson (which gets the most).

Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 11,034 times
Thanks, Mystic. That's pretty much what I'm learning.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:58 PM

560 posts, read 437,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
To those that have no desire to move to St. George, THANK You! We're overcrowded now and way too many people moving here from everywhere in the country.
You're welcome! No sarcasm intended.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:49 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
St. George will probably be cleaner and better organized than nearby towns in Arizona and Nevada, and potentially more socially alienating. I would not really call Utah a live-and-let-live western state. Its original settlers mostly came from the northeast and inherited the legacy of greater social control over the individual in that region. Just as Massachusetts used to be a theocracy, Utah used to be (still is?) a theocracy. There are pluses and minuses to this legacy as I've alluded to.

A lot of places in the southwest can seem unkempt and transient compared to, say, the northeast, but Utah bucks the trend to a degree. If social cohesiveness is your thing as opposed to live-and-let-live, and you like clean streets and civilized neighbors it may be a step up. If you're a free spirit I would stay away.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM

927 posts, read 758,919 times
The state is really trumpeting how everyone is moving to St George and growth is exploding

Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would not really call Utah a live-and-let-live western state.
So very true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: