U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM

27 posts, read 135,880 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm interested to hear about the nuanced differences between living in Washington / Ivins / St. George for purchasing a home in the 350 - 400k range for a 3BR / 2BA < 2000sq ft. Low to zero HOA.

I see many new homes (in my price point) in Washington off of Buena Vista Blvd and a few down near the airport. Then I see lovely homes in Ivins. Who can give me an insiders view about the difference living in these locations?

For example: If I buy in Ivins, do I have to drive 15 minutes to the food store just to be closer to Snow Canyon hiking? If I buy in Washington, will I be surrounded by AirBnb rentals and empty homes because they are not filled with full-time owners? Is Ivins just a bedroom community with zero restaurants? Is one town known for higher taxes, renter issues, traffic?

What am I looking for and more about me... My husband and I are in our late 40's and all of our kids are in college out-of-state. Just the two of us will be relocating to the area in August. We are outdoor enthusiasts who have been visiting St. George for a decade and thrilled to finally make the move because of a wonderful job offer. We are on the fence about renting vs immediately buying before we fully understand the difference between the different areas of the metro STG. We have one cat and one dog which really tightens our rental opportunities even in the 2k+ / mo range.

We are flying into town in two weeks to start looking for a place to live and get the lay of the land. If we buy, we'd love super quick access to biking and walking path/trails.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:46 AM

359 posts, read 573,115 times
Utilities are high in Ivins...Washington fields is Dixie Power, much lower! Also shopping is easier from Washington.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 PM

870 posts, read 640,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyCedar View Post

For example: If I buy in Ivins, do I have to drive 15 minutes to the food store just to be closer to Snow Canyon hiking? If I buy in Washington, will I be surrounded by AirBnb rentals and empty homes because they are not filled with full-time owners? Is Ivins just a bedroom community with zero restaurants? Is one town known for higher taxes, renter issues, traffic?
Ivins area has a brand new two level grocery store by the name of Harmon's that is very nice and will have most of one's grocery needs, they have diverse variety. It is located next to Lava Ridge Intermediate school.

Washington has plenty of full-time owners living there in the town. AirBnb/empty homes are definitely the exception.

Ivins is a quiet, safe, beautiful town. Really the only things in Ivins are...a fire department, couple of churches, one or two mom and pop small stores, and a brand new medical school that just barely opened in 2017.
Bordering community Santa Clara doesn't have much either. But just get on Sunset Boulevard and you'll have a fair amount of shopping there. That's a 10 minute drive from Ivins.

Washington most certainly has higher traffic than Ivins does.

If you want super quick hiking/walking access trails, and by super quick I mean about a 3 minute drive, the obvious choice is Ivins. You have snow canyon state park in your backyard, and several trails that run along the base of the red mountains out there. Some paved, some dirt. Lots of people that run on those or bike/walk dogs. Also, Kayenta just around the corner is a quiet community with lots of room to roam and explore/hike. You'll love the area when you come visit.

I do agree with the above post concerning shopping. Washington has much more to offer in that regard. However that's only a 15 minute drive or so. Plus they will be building the controversial northern corridor belt loop in the next few years or so and that will make Washington access even quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George