U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 AM

12 posts, read 7,499 times

Advertisements

karenSG

Thank you for the utility rates during the summer. That's not as bad as I expected honestly. Do you mind telling me about what temperature you like to keep your home during those times?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 AM

127 posts, read 328,981 times
73-80, pushed up at night and nap time to 89, to make sure it doesn't waken me until I'm ready!
Sacramento area (Folsom) rates were much higher.
Current square feet are about 1800, with lots of windows.

Last edited by karenSG; 07-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Add square foot comment.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,756,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtMover2018 View Post
...Where we are now is giving some of the family some health problems (bad air, especially in winter...stuff like that)....
I hate to tell you this, but if your concern is bad air in the winter, you really can't do much worse than Salt Lake City, unless you're currently in Fresno or something. Utah winter air quality is atrocious.

Utah's air ranked among worst in US, again

Old 07-12-2018, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 7,499 times
Geo-Aggie

Yes I'm aware there's not much worse than the salt lake valley for winter air. We live here and have for over a decade. I'm sick of seeing how the air affects my kids and myself even. We are needing to get out and we know it but we've got to have money to take care of the family as well. So trying to get idea of what amount of money is needed to move down that way that we can survive on.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:29 AM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
We lived in St George or many years, but had to leave just over 10 years ago due to long periods of air pollution really effecting my wife and it was move or make funeral arrangements. It is worse today.

St George sits down a bowl and when the air gets hot, and the interstate gets busy, plus heavy local traffic gets bad the air gets dangerous for those that are susceptible to effects of air pollution. Most people are not seriously effected by the air there, but people who are effected by bad air should not live there. It really gets bad during fire season, when forest fires blow in smoke from hundreds of miles away and gets trapped in the bowl. in those times we had to leave town for sometimes weeks, till the fires are over.

Median income a little under national average, with the poverty rate at 15%.

I love St George but we can't live there. Moved to clean air, and our doctors tell us both that we are the healthiest patients for our age (both near 90) they have.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM

873 posts, read 644,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We lived in St George or many years, but had to leave just over 10 years ago due to long periods of air pollution really effecting my wife and it was move or make funeral arrangements. It is worse today.

St George sits down a bowl and when the air gets hot, and the interstate gets busy, plus heavy local traffic gets bad the air gets dangerous for those that are susceptible to effects of air pollution. Most people are not seriously effected by the air there, but people who are effected by bad air should not live there. It really gets bad during fire season, when forest fires blow in smoke from hundreds of miles away and gets trapped in the bowl. in those times we had to leave town for sometimes weeks, till the fires are over.
Sorry but I definitely don't think there's much truth to this. St. George does NOT sit in a bowl. It is crosscut by several different plateaus, hills, and small mountains. You have wide open space from the Utah mountains on the NV border on the west side, all the way to the Hurricane cliffs on the east with many hills in-between.

I lived there for over 15 years and the air quality there is almost phenomenally good. On a very rare occasion it will have dust or smoke, but this is most certainly not common. As far as fire filling the valley with smoke... don't think so. The air quality in southern utah is almost always good quality. Clear skies and breathable.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Sorry but I definitely don't think there's much truth to this. St. George does NOT sit in a bowl. It is crosscut by several different plateaus, hills, and small mountains. You have wide open space from the Utah mountains on the NV border on the west side, all the way to the Hurricane cliffs on the east with many hills in-between.

I lived there for over 15 years and the air quality there is almost phenomenally good. On a very rare occasion it will have dust or smoke, but this is most certainly not common. As far as fire filling the valley with smoke... don't think so. The air quality in southern utah is almost always good quality. Clear skies and breathable.
Let's stop our sugar coating. As I write this the air quality is 46 on a 1(clean air) to 100 (worst possible air) which is unhealthy for people effected by air pollution. Today's weather lets air pollution go up and away. Days that are cloudy etc. it holds the air down and gets much less healthy. Average air for big cities is 58 as an example. And this is official government data.

This is why when someone with an air pollution problem for helth reasons I think they need to know the truth, not the opinion of someone thas not have problems with air pollution and knows nothing about problems they do not see or feel. 46 was the official today, and not something a person effected by dirty air should be told does not exist as you did. Just because you do not see it, does not mean it does not exist.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 AM

Nitpicking... that does not single St. George out. That excludes anywhere with any moderately sized populace. For the average person, they will do just fine in STG. STG has great air quality on a regular basis. If you want pristine air, move to a very rural community.

The problem you listed is not unique to STG. If the sensitivity is that great, you'll have trouble living almost anywhere.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:34 AM

359 posts, read 573,953 times
Air quality in my opinion is great. Don't know when OLDTRADER lived here, but I agree with chahunt...no problem here and visibility is about 10 miles on most days. He must have been here in the "down winders" day when we had fall out from tests in Las Vegas.

Oh and btw I have copd...issues!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM

^ Case in point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George