U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,852,195 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My wife and I are looking at various areas to retire to and one of them is Cedar City. We really like to do outdoor things, like hiking, driving down dirt roads, photography and shooting. We're wondering how much BLM land is around Cedar City and how accessible it is.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM

5,312 posts, read 10,968,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hi guys!

My wife and I are looking at various areas to retire to and one of them is Cedar City. We really like to do outdoor things, like hiking, driving down dirt roads, photography and shooting. We're wondering how much BLM land is around Cedar City and how accessible it is.

Thanks!
You did not say why you would like to live in Cedar City, but whatever you want to do in Utah, you can do almost anywhere in this State, as long as you do not do any more than that, meaning within the areas allowed to do that.

Shooting, for instance, can be hazardous because of the dry conditions and you can cause wildfires because of that.
Driving outside areas where you do not have "established" dirt roads is very detrimental to the area and can cause considerable damage.

Cedar City itself, do some research and read up on old posts about that area. There are some areas where you do not want to be when it comes to possible disaster areas. The climate is not that perfect there. Winters can be very harsh and summers very windy.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You did not say why you would like to live in Cedar City, but whatever you want to do in Utah, you can do almost anywhere in this State, as long as you do not do any more than that, meaning within the areas allowed to do that.

Shooting, for instance, can be hazardous because of the dry conditions and you can cause wildfires because of that.
Driving outside areas where you do not have "established" dirt roads is very detrimental to the area and can cause considerable damage.

Cedar City itself, do some research and read up on old posts about that area. There are some areas where you do not want to be when it comes to possible disaster areas. The climate is not that perfect there. Winters can be very harsh and summers very windy.
Thank you for your response Irman,

As mentioned, we only drive on established roads, not across the desert. And you might notice, we are from Las Vegas, so we are well aware of shooting only when conditions are favorable. As for why we would are looking at Cedar City, well, we now live in Las Vegas, so Cedar City is quite close with a very different climate. We also think that Utah will continue to be a conservative state long into the future, which Nevada certainly isn't.

The reason I was asking about the BLM land near Cedar City is because you can go hiking, driving (where allowed), shooting (when and where appropriate) and photography anywhere in BLM areas without having to get permission or permits to do so.

We haven't made a trip to Cedar City with the object of looking to move there yet, only as attendees of the Shakespeare Festival and a couple of shooting events. Obviously, a trip to check out the area closely is needed and we will make the determination as to whether Cedar City is a good fit for us following that trip.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM

5,312 posts, read 10,968,210 times
John, you will find that Utah will fit you because of your outlook on the area.

Welcome to Utah and "Haff Phun"

By the way, I do not know if this might interest you but when it comes to outdoor activities, look into flying a Powered Parachute in Utah. This State is almost God's Gift to mankind when it comes to flying an ultralight.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
Quote:

As mentioned, we only drive on established roads, not across the desert. And you might notice, we are from Las Vegas, so we are well aware of shooting only when conditions are favorable. As for why we would are looking at Cedar City, well, we now live in Las Vegas, so Cedar City is quite close with a very different climate. We also think that Utah will continue to be a conservative state long into the future, which Nevada certainly isn't.

>>>snip<<<
I wouldn't hang my hat on the "long" part. It gets purpler by the day.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:47 PM

9,079 posts, read 9,181,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I wouldn't hang my hat on the "long" part. It gets purpler by the day.
I wish, but I see little indication of that.

This election four house seats and one senate seat are up for election. Only one house seat is even competitive and if I had to make a bet, I would bet, the incumbent, Mia Love, will hang on to her seat.

The GOP holds every state office and vastly outnumbers democrats in the state legislature.

When it starts to change, let me know.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I wish, but I see little indication of that.

This election four house seats and one senate seat are up for election. Only one house seat is even competitive and if I had to make a bet, I would bet, the incumbent, Mia Love, will hang on to her seat.

The GOP holds every state office and vastly outnumbers democrats in the state legislature.

When it starts to change, let me know.
Oh, it will take years, to be sure. In the meantime Love is at least being challenged. And recent events in San Juan county also offer hope.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 341 times
Quote:

The reason I was asking about the BLM land near Cedar City is because you can go hiking, driving (where allowed), shooting (when and where appropriate) and photography anywhere in BLM areas without having to get permission or permits to do so.

We haven't made a trip to Cedar City with the object of looking to move there yet, only as attendees of the Shakespeare Festival and a couple of shooting events. Obviously, a trip to check out the area closely is needed and we will make the determination as to whether Cedar City is a good fit for us following that trip.
I was just wondering if you decided to move to Cedar City. We have been looking at that area as well and most definitely plan on moving there for the same reasons. I do see it as a very red state. We met people there and they said Cedar City is like going back to the 50's. We did experience that when we saw school kids just dropping there back-backs in front of the convenience story at the gas station with no worries that somebody would steal them. Looking forward to many drives up the 14. We are sold on Cedar City and are anxiously waiting on the sale of our house here in Southern California, which is being taken over by the homeless and illegals.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 482 times
"We did experience that when we saw school kids just dropping there back-backs in front of the convenience story at the gas station with no worries that somebody would steal them".
The reason they leave their backpacks outside is they aren't allowed to take them inside to prevent theft from the store.
Nothing old fashioned there and not exclusive to Cedar City either.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSkiCole View Post
I was just wondering if you decided to move to Cedar City.
Sorry for the delay in posting!

We aren't moving quite yet. Just checking into areas that we find interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or