Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,857,706 times

Advertisements

Is there any jobs in the area? It sounds pretty small and rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 PM

273 posts, read 1,244,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Is there any jobs in the area? It sounds pretty small and rural.
Well, at least until recently it was the headquarters of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or the FLDS. Does the polygamist group and their leader Warren Jeffs ring a bell? Maybe you have heard of their other compound in Eldorado, TX? It has been in the news a lot lately.

So yes, it is small and rural. Not sure what you're gonna find to do there though.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM

I was thinking about opening a coffee shop.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,254,698 times
Very funny

Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM

273 posts, read 1,244,678 times
I sensed your sarcasm in your first post. The whole FLDS / LDS thing and the polygamy issue are sore subjects in Utah right now. You aren't going to get many responses to your post.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Pehaps marriage counseling would do well.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Imo

Utah should have done something about this years ago...instead the powers that be stuck their heads in the red sand and tried to ignore it. Now it's coming back to bite them...

I personally don't care what they do in Hildale/Colorado City or Texas..what gripes me is that these mothers are essentially single moms living off the fat of the land, us, the taxpayers. And the abuse of children is unforgivable. Other than that, they can do whatever they want. Just leave the kids alone, and support yourselves.

That's my take on the whole thing, and I've only lived here a couple years...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM

494 posts, read 1,891,676 times
I would have no problem with the poligamists if the women had free choice... But, as we know, they don't, and don't know what is available in the world.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM

How big a problem is this? Back here in the East, we are so removed from this that it's hard to really have any concept of it. What is happening to the children seems like something that will be with them for years. It seems that as long as a blind eye is turned towards it, then nothing will change.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
How big a problem is this? Back here in the East, we are so removed from this that it's hard to really have any concept of it. What is happening to the children seems like something that will be with them for years. It seems that as long as a blind eye is turned towards it, then nothing will change.
Yep, its a pretty big issue, at least here in souther utah. We live about 30 or so miles from Hildale/Colorado City, but the FLDS love to shop at Walmart and costco here in town so you see them all the time. Always one man with at least 2 or 3 wives with him, always walking behind him...sometimes they have some kids, sometimes not. I have also seen them at the doctor's offices, hospital, they hang in town and love to buy our modern things. Everyone has cell phones down there, if you drive through town, of course you are under suspicion so they see you and they cell phone each other as a warning..

Actually the last few times we have driven down there there seems to be less and less of them...kind of a ghost town...then the thing in Texas so that explans where they went.

Yes, Utah has it's head buried deep in the sand, I think it might have to do with the legislators, most of whom are mormon and have pioneer heritage, meaning their ancestors were pligs, as we call them..so there is a certain sympathy, I think. I am not LDS but that's how it seems to me. I am not wanting to start a religious debate, but ever since this news broke last weekend, there hasn't been any statement from the 'State' that I know of regarding...

I could be wrong, but I think it's a matter of if you don't see it it's not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George