Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,259,030 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid you are probably right...it's not doom and gloom, it's just a nasty fact of life. I keep my 99 Olds Intrigue with 150,000 miles on it, still get at least 30 mpg. We also have a jeep cherokee, gets about 18 and a big ol ford truck that just sits except for starting it up once in a while to keep it running.

I don't know why years ago the government didn't start doing something about this...we all knew it was gonna come to this..

how depressing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:36 PM

20 posts, read 83,856 times
brightdoglover,

Can you comment more on the jobs. What about construction/remodelling/repairs? My husband and I are considering a move to Cedar City. What do you know about the job market??

MAMA42

Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 AM

18,660 posts, read 33,267,745 times
I don't know much about the job market except for what people I know there tell me. Construction had been huge in St. George, but it's very dependent on the economy/financial institutions and so on. That's true everywhere that's been growing in the West- dependent on gas prices, to some extent, and growth in construction, dependent on the financial world. I imagine there had been a fair amount of speculation going on in St.George, being listed in Money magazine as one of those great places, and so many people wanting to be near Las Vegas. However, the real estate world and speculation in L.V. tanked utterly, and I'm sure it has an reverberating effect.
I considered a move West myself (Durango, CO) and saw that there was a job with my name on it- ONE JOB in a new facility. I didn't want an underpaid job that was the only one for 300 miles, plus, housing wasn't exactly cheap. I've decided to sit out the hard times in pricey Massachusetts, where I have a dream little house, a steady job, and know the lay of the land. (I also worry about the water future for the arid places that were/are "growing" and the gas prices usually involved in long commutes in such wonderfully less-populated areas.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 AM

P.S.
Don't know what "the government" could or should have done about gas prices. India and China's growth and demand is certainly a structural fact of life. Our utter dependence on our best friends, the Saudis, is a screw job that's already happened. I can't see what "the government" could do that would help the situation. I do think we as Americans have to live differently, shop differently, and maybe end the trucking lobby in favor of rail freight and all sorts of changes that will be very dislocating, since the government favored highway/vehicle travel in every way for decades, and people ate it up with a spoon.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM

281 posts, read 1,183,372 times
I'm afraid Doglover is right. In any parking lot 2/3's of the vehicles are going to be trucks or SUV's. I looked at the Consumers Report car review and just shook my head at the average mileage of most of the vehicles. They haven't changed in ten years.
That being said I would offer our experiance in rural living. Depending on how rural you want to get there's a good chance you'll have to supply a couple things yourself that most people take for granted. If there are no water hook-ups you'll have to have a well. And if there are no water hook-ups there's no sewer hook-up's either so you'll have to put in a septic system. Power isn't as big a deal as long as your near a line. But if your going to buy an existing property those issues should be taken care of if it was built to code. Not all of the rural homes were. You don't have to go too far from any city limits to out of reach from public utilities. The up side is that you usually have a large lot. You can do whatever you want as long as you don't bother anyone else. And it's very quiet.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,567,972 times
I have a mini-van out of necessity and I drive it maybe three times a week. I've bitten the bullet and allowed my son to ride the schoolbus since I think it's the responsible thing to do w/ gas prices as they are. But we do live in a very rural area and my husband will always have to drive a long way to work if we stay here. So, sell we must (though I know it will be difficult to sell due to these problems). Our options, therefore, are to move closer to the town he works in and stay close to what we 'know' or take the plunge and move out west where we love the sunshine and blue skies. We also have a good possibility at better health since Tennessee is so horrible for sinus/allergy problems. My husband doesnt have a great job here so I know he wouldnt mind trading it. It would be quite different if he did have.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM

A small question- why is having your son ride the schoolbus "biting the bullet?"
I see all the SUVs and vans lined up at schools in very nice towns around me (and there are buses behind them) and wonder why people feel they must drive their kids to school? Am I being old-fashioned? In the post-war suburb where I grew up, no one drove their kids to school unless the kid missed the bus.
I feel for people who need larger cars/van/SUV because of some business necessity or trucks or whatever. But for family transport, people did just fine for decades without minivans and such.
I honestly think that people with SUVs for ordinary transport really want a station wagon, but don't know it. Yet.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM

It's 'biting the bullet' because I am a control freak and I have a hard time w/ relinquishing my son's safety to someone I don't know.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:48 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,259,030 times
I was that way when my boys were young...how old is your son...by the time they were 4th or 5th grade I started letting them walk with friends to school, a couple blocks away. That was hard to lose that control. As they got older it got easier, i guess the worst of it was when they started driving, then you have lost total control in that you aren't always with them and have no clue what is going on and worried they don't do something stupid or some other driver doesn't do something stupid. Then they go away to college or move out. They are 29 and 27, we live in another state now, the worry is still there, but I am glad I am out of the 'control' business....what I am trying to say is it DOES get easier....hang in there...and him riding the bus is a good growing experience for him.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 AM

He is eight. HE's very capable so I'm not too worried about his not being cautious. I am very picky on who gets to drive my kids around however, especially when so many of the bus drivers around here speed and show little respect for traffic laws.

He enjoys riding the bus for the most part...I remember liking it too. And at least this bus driver is a nice old man who doesnt seem to be in too much of a hurry. I was also happy to see that the route this bus takes is all back roads that are gravel-so speeding is not likely.

WHen we're out that direction, we don't feel nearly so nervous when we're driving because there is so much open space...visibility is better and you have more space for maneuvering if there is the possibility of a collision. Here, we have deep ravines and cliffs flanking our roads as well as hairpin turns and narrow winding roads. Deer pop out of nowhere! It's enough to make even the most cautious driver nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George