Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:40 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,466,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomianca View Post
I just have to pop in and say again that St. George is an awesome place. I don't think some of you have really spent any amount of time here or you wouldn't have missed the stuff you did.

St. George has a very nice downtown with a great historic district. The town square is new, being dedicated in October of last year. The St. George Tabernacle is right next to the town square and definitely worth a visit. The LDS temple is just a few blocks away and is one of the few temples with a visitor's center. There is the Dinosaur Museum at Johnson Farm, where they guy that owned the property was out working his fields one day and came across some dinosaur fossils and other stuff of the like. It's very interesting and opened up a lot of new theories about dinosaurs.

There is also the Rosenbruch Wildlife Museum at The Dixie Center. The guy that owns that went on who knows how many safari's and brought back all this big game and opened a museum. There is Tuacahn out in Ivins, Kayenta which is a neat artists community. You can hike in the red rock bluffs overlooking St. George. Snow Canyon State Park is just outside of St. George which is very pretty. Washington City just opened a new Aquatic Center with all kinds of neat stuff that is very popular...a lazy river, water slides, etc. Not to mention the golfing. There is lots of shopping, not as much as say, Vegas, but for our little corner of the desert it does pretty good.

There really is a lot to do here you just have to know where to look, or, in this instance, who to ask.

Thanks for your comments. I am anxious for my trip to Utah in August as I am driving down to St George and taking a look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:39 PM

47 posts, read 48,582 times
Today is 29 September, 2017. After the post above dated July, 2008, there is NOTHING. Has St. George slid into a gorge and disappeared? This is the thing that really troubles me about this site. Sometimes it is impossible to get timely information and that is the main reason for this site's existence.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:33 PM

148 posts, read 457,492 times
Maybe timeliness is on some of the Facebook sites that came up on Google. I don't use FB myself, but the front pages gave me some insights.

This realtor sends a monthly newsletter that is very interesting: Langston-Shaw Realty Group <langstonshawrealtygroup@gmail.com>. I have no connection to them, but a neighbor passed it on to me.

Today is Oct. 29, 2017. I too have looked here for current SG related info. This helps for that: St George News – Southern Utah's Premier Free Local News

If you have questions, I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:13 PM

166 posts, read 144,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantcackalackian View Post
Today is 29 September, 2017. After the post above dated July, 2008, there is NOTHING. Has St. George slid into a gorge and disappeared? This is the thing that really troubles me about this site. Sometimes it is impossible to get timely information and that is the main reason for this site's existence.
Just post a new thread if you have a question. People will be able to help you out better than if you revive a nine-year-old thread.

If you're asking about visiting St. George from SLC, then no, don't make the trip from Zion. St. George has a lot of scenery, but there's not a lot of other touristy stuff to do there.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 AM

40 posts, read 87,812 times
As a foreign tourist, I'll chime in here; my wife and I spent a couple of days in Saint George during a road trip. We thought the town seemed like a really nice little place, very relaxed and very scenic. We even said to each other `this looks like it might be a half-decent place to live...' - although of course it is easy to say that after two days holiday in any place. We arrived during an arts fair that ran through the historic part of town, and it was really great.

Here is a link to the Arts fair: https://www.sgartfestival.com/

It was certainly a good place to spend 2 days in my humble opinion, especially in the Spring when the weather is glorious. I would also recommend visiting the Anasazi Steak House if you like that kind of thing, it is fantastic!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,364,091 times
Since you like the outdoors this is worth checking out which includes in its limits Snow Canyon State Park:

Red Cliffs Desert Reserve

https://www.facebook.com/YourRedCliffsDesertReserve/

Old 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 6,455 times
Hi there!

St George isn't a hustling and bustling city. If you're looking for a lot of indoor activities, you're out of luck. However, there are a few outdoor activities you should look into:

There are a few great courses that would be worth looking into if you like to golf. Entrada and Sky Mountain are a few examples.

Snow Canyon park may also be a place you'd like to check out. There are a few caves that are fun to go exploring into. There are hikes and mountain biking trails. The views are great.

Kannaraville Falls is awesome. Just north of St George. That one is definitely worth checking out. It's hiking through a slot canyon through water and climbing up ladders through small waterfalls. Check out photos and reviews for more details.

Tuacahn is an amazing outdoor amphitheater that you should look into. It is within Padre Canyon so the red rock is surrounding you and the acoustics and atmosphere are incredible. Their season of Broadway musicals is about to start in the next month or so.

And as mentioned above, the art festival is this weekend!

Don't come for malls or stores because that is VERY limited haha. Not really a downtown at all, so stick to things outdoor. But everything else listed above are great options!

Hope that helps!!

Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM

20,023 posts, read 8,919,129 times
just got back from some 5 days there last week. Golf and relaxing, there's not much else there. Stayed in Pine Valley, had white out snow traveling up the mountain one evening. The whole town reminded me of a gigantic truck stop. Glad I went, wouldn't have any reason to want to go back.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:03 PM

47 posts, read 48,582 times
"a gigantic truck stop"!! This is such a disappointing and disconcerting comment. And it may be true from this gentleman's perspective....that is what is so scary. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. I want to get out of Myrtle Beach and have been day dreaming of St. George for YEARS. Internet daily, travel magazines, etc. Finally booked a round trip flight from Myrtle Swamp to Vegas (and then St. George) and will be taking a look in 28 days from today! Wanna get away from the floods and hurricanes and MEDIOCRITY of the "dirty South". Wanna be in a place where I can get on an Interstate highway in less than a 2 hour drive! ...or a train ride to someplace really cool. I am 90 miles from Charleston, SC and it takes 2 hours and a few minutes to drive there at full speed. I hope and pray that St. George, to me and my wife, is much more than a "gigantic truck stop"! If that is what it turns out to be, then Henderson is the closest and most reasonable alternative to stay warm and relatively dry......I sincerely hope St. George has progressed over these past 10 years to something really fun and safe and homey with lots and lots of amenities.....Is that asking too much, do you think?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,821,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantcackalackian View Post
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Your answer is right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George