U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:37 PM

43 posts, read 23,703 times

Advertisements

You seem a very reasonable person, Cedarite. Thank you for your advice and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantcackalackian View Post
No, I have never set foot in Utah. Closest I have been was Vegas and "Sin City" is not what I'm looking for. I want warm, dry, safe, affordable ($200-300k property), with decent grocery shopping and some good restaurants (not chains), and lots of amenities, particularly pickleball, tennis, golf, and safe and interesting walking trails. Also need reliable cable or satellite TV. Need convenient access to interstate highways and airport for fun trips around the great American West.
Might be a problem, St George is only chains. Don't take my word for it. To quote Moon's travel guide to Utah (Pg. 355, 2013 edition): "For a major recreation and retirement center, St George is curiously lacking in unique places to eat. Almost every chain restaurant can be found here, but don't expect a bevy of local fine-dining houses." Moon goes on to say (Pg. 349), "Although it has gained a reputation as a retirement haven, thanks in large part to its warm weather climate and plethora of golf courses, it is not a particularly appealing place to most travelers." What Moon says is true. And you have to wonder about a city in the middle of desert with lots of golf courses and enormous expectations of growth. My wife and I considered St George but rejected it for these reasons, among others. And yes, we did visit first.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM

359 posts, read 573,309 times
Breakfast places to eat are fine, but other dinner restaurants, true...far and few. Everything else you want is here.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM

194 posts, read 541,901 times
As a resident of SC and knowing "Dirty Myrtle" where one of the posters is from I hear what he is saying and we are kind of in the same situation. We live in the north end of the state and have many of the same problems he does. We too are booking reservations for the family to fly into SLC and we will be spending a week or a bit more driving the entire Western Corridor seeing if Utah is a place we would like to live. We know Moab well being off road people and have visited several times but have never been anywhere else in the state. We visited Phoenix last summer and although NICE it was not our cup of tea. Our hope is to find something around Southern UT where it's somewhat warm and not blistering cold. We do 100-115 degree no problem in Moab, mornings and evenings seem just PERFECT. Here in SC we easily do 98-102 every summer but it's 58-90% humidity 24/7. Phoenix we found was blistering hot in the day but dry and fine, we waited for evening and morning like in Moab and it was just as blistering HOT!! WOW.... Nope 100 degrees at 11pm is not our cup of tea.

I would love to hear from the SC Poster and what he thought of St. George, we will be visiting in 3-4 weeks got to make plane reservations.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 PM

871 posts, read 641,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post

I would love to hear from the SC Poster and what he thought of St. George, we will be visiting in 3-4 weeks got to make plane reservations.
Or just ask a question and an actual resident of STG could assist you?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 PM

194 posts, read 541,901 times
I have but I like to see varied opinions, being from his general area and knowing where he lives pretty well, and having similar issues here in this part of the state I am curious as to his views after the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George