U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 PM

871 posts, read 642,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
does it warm up there in mid March?
It warms up in February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM

175 posts, read 474,430 times
Thought I'd share my experience and perspective for what it's worth. We moved here about 5 1/2 years ago from Illinois. We're not LDS but are members of a local evangelical Christian church. All of our neighbors know this and we have a mutual respect for each other. We have nothing but good to say about the people here, including the LDS. Many of our friends are active LDS members and we hang out, watch sports, go to dinner etc. Some of them have visited our church and we've been to special events for them - baptisms, scouts, etc. I think that's what good friends and neighbors do.

There have been only a few times when we felt excluded. But, that also happened with other friends and before we moved here. Just a part of life. No biggie. I don't feel our kids have been hindered in sports because their not LDS either. I'm sure it maybe happens, just didn't happen to us. Perhaps we've just been very fortunate - and I'll take that.

We love it here, so much so that when my employer recalled all of their teleworkers, I decided to part ways with them so we could stay here in St George. We had no less than a half dozen LDS friends and neighbors go out of their way to help me find alternative employment - arranging meetings, networking connections, offering opportunities. Quite frankly, they were so concerned with helping us stay here in southwest Utah, it was really touching. We're nothing special, just regular people, but they made us feel cared for. I love and appreciate every one of them for that. So, perhaps it just depends on your specific situation.

I will confirm that the driver situation described isn't an exaggeration. Some pretty bad drivers, but if you think about it, you have families with a lot of kids in activities racing around town. Throw in about half the drivers of retirement age enjoying the scenery like every day is a Sunday drive and it's a recipe for accidents. Drive defensively my friends.

Skeddy - depends on what you mean by warm. The winter here averages around 55-65 for the high. No wind and full sun mean it usually feels much warmer. You will be surprised how warm the sun is here (makes it feel 10-15 degrees warmer). If there's no sun, all bets are off. March is typically very nice - mid to upper 60's on average. Perfect hiking/biking weather...maybe not so good swimming at Sand Hollow weather. But one of my favorite months weather wise.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 PM

306 posts, read 468,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, a few of them do. Most of them are malicious exaggerations. He made it sound like the city is teeming with polygamous women in prairie dresses, and the implication was that they are LDS. You don't need to live there to know that that's a flat out lie.
There is a large FLDS community in southern Utah. The women dress distinctively, in a style reminiscent of the 1890's. A major branch used to be based mainly in Hilldale/ Cororado City and do their shopping in St. George, so they could be encountered very frequently in some public places. Recently, groups have been moving into town, and to Cedar City where I live. We say hello to them and they say hello back. I do see them on almost a daily basis. They are part of the community at this point and not isolated in their own communities like they once were. I encounter them so frequently that I don't really think about it. I can provide links to articles referencing the move into town after the FLDS conflicts with the state managers of their Hilldale properties (EDIT: http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...94&itype=CMSID ). Some even live on my street now.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM

122 posts, read 290,791 times
I heard that Marie Osmond lives in St. George. Is this true? Anyone see her out shopping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George