Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 23,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy smith View Post
My husband is a contractor of 15 years, he works for a big company that builds houses. Does any one know how much he can make in St. George?
Are there areas in St. George that are unsafe or not a good place to raise a family? what are the better areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,927 times
Default Safe Community

Thecommunity is still very safe. This murder is not the norm. Everyone is baffled by this. I believe their is a whole more to this story. Yes Dixie Down is probably the worst area, but no big deal. The whole area is extremely safe.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,983 times
You can get a nice new(er) home in St. George with around 1500 sq ft for about $250,000. That same home in a nice part of Las Vegas (Henderson) would be about $50-100,000 more than that.

I really like St. George alot. It's weather is ver similar to where I lived in Victorville, CA. I don't think the jobs in St. George can really support the housing prices though. Most of the money that fueled the housing price rise there was from out of state equity money and retiree money.

Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by Yac; 01-14-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM

52 posts, read 165,169 times
Hi Holly:

I too am from Georgia (the coast) , also catholic, and am definitely moving to Saint George. I am a real estate paralegal, and soon will be searching for a job. We found a really killer house with a view and a pool for what we would pay in Georgia, perhaps even less given the market. I haven't really started the job process, but am sure it won't be any worse than back home. I LOVE ST GEORGE! Everyone is really friendly, its clean, low crime and a natural beauty that competes with the rivers, trees and marshes of home. Don't worry about the heat, its much different with little or no humidity. If I have to work 2 jobs so be it. Call me when you pass the bar (if you haven't already) and maybe I can help you hang your shingle! Good luck!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 AM

242 posts, read 1,112,478 times
Get ready for the wages shock of St. George. Yes you will be working two jobs, if not three.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM

95 posts, read 474,690 times
Default Any regrets moving to St. George?

Any relocators from California to St. George unhappy with their decision and why?

I'm having second thoughts about St. George. It's beautiful but lots of politics and wages are a joke. How can anyone one make it here? I'm too old to play games. I feel like it's time to move on...where employers respect and care about their employees and provide good wages and medical benefits and at least give more then 1 week vacation (per year)! Also, affortable real estate would be nice.

Looking to move to North Carolina

Last edited by The Casselli's; 08-14-2007 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 39,339 times
This initial post was dated back in January. Its nice to see other people looking to relocate to the St. George area.

However- I'm just curious- who hired Blonde Rabbit and the Cassellis to
poo poo and boycott anything and everything about this area. It has gotten to be almost comical to read both of your bantering back and forth. Yes we have heard soooo many times from the both of you that wages suck and there are no women in control here. Let me guess-your next comment is going to be
"Well truth hurts"

I have lived in a lot of places. There are things I loved and things I disliked about all those places. I think everyone has loves and dislikes for the places they have lived. And thats OK. However, I have found that after living in a place for so long, my blinders are completely up and I can not see the positives for what they are worth. I personally think (meaning- I am stating my opinion) that is what has happened to the both of you.

But for the love of everyone who writes in- stop knocking down what everyone has to say. For instance someone says I want to move to St. George for its beauty and because it will bring me closer to my famiy. What we here from you is "Don't move- Wages suck, my neighbors suck, they all are on meth".... I'm sure that may be your case, but not for everyone.

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond- can we get some different perspective? And if you have no other perspective then- enough is enough on beating everyone up for wanting to move there.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM

242 posts, read 1,112,478 times
Well Irish mom, I was the one saying there are women in the jobs here. I'm also the one who has said the crime is low. The meth problem is real. The wages are real. 435-674-5627 ask for Mr. Lawton. That is the number for the workforce services department of the State of Utah, their St. George office. They better than any of us can tell you what jobs are available, what is in the area, and what the realistic wages are. Please find out for yourself.

I'm also not the one who says my neighbors are horrible. I have not said do not move here. I said there are good things and bad things, and if you do come, I will help in any way I can. The housing is out of sight realistically. Too many come here (and Irish you are not one) who want to play the flip game in real estate, then get caught as they find out the house they bought was over valued and they can't sell it.

YOu can't blast me out of the area now that I'm back. I wanted to come back here. I lived here long ago. I knwo the culture, the people and the area. To me personally and my family can afford it, it is paradise. I don't have blinders on. I don't think with rose colored glasses. The two drawbacks here are the wages and the housing. Get past that and have a good job lined up and you are fine. Go to Money magazine that had St. George named the #1 place to live a couple years ago. You won't even find it in the top 100 today. What made it so nice has changed with the inflation of the real estate market. It's still great. the town has no real bad areas. It is just no affordable to the locals and those thinking they can find a bargin. The bargins will happen but they are couple of years away. The area the whole of Washington county is 70K people. right now yu have as many moving away as you have moving in. The move in's have greatly slowed.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM

281 posts, read 1,181,662 times
Here's a perspective about St. George and other southwest Utah citys for anyone from the southwest thinking of relocating there. It might offer the bottom line reality of what folks can expect with employment, social lives and general environment. Believe it or not 88% of Utah's population lives about the northern Wasatch Range. That's SLC and everything within 80 miles of it. The rest, 12% or around 300,000 people, live south of there. And most of them are in St.George. Think of the town of Baker when you think of St. George. Unless you need gas, food or live there you'll drive right through it. And that's the same for Cedar and the others. They're all between Vegas and SLC. And most people are going to one of them when they pass through. So what's that say for economic growth and wealth? Well unless an even taller thermometer is built at the Arizona stateline or aliens drop by in Beaver the
future of the area is pretty much going to be what it's been for quite awhile.
Retirement, quick-stops, fast-food, farming and an occasional chain-store popping up. So anyone might want to look at it from this standpoint and go from there.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 39,339 times
Good morning everyone!!! Or whatever time of day it is when you read this.
Thank you Blondie for you latest post to the one I made yesterday. I didn't say you said all of that- I made the comment that all that stuff was being said between you and Casselli.

I appreciate all of your feedback b/c it does seem that you have a grasp of what is going on in the St. George and surrounding areas. Though it seemed for several (many) of your latest postings b/w you and Casselli all we could get out of both of you is the Ugly of the city and nothing else. And the same areas of wages, bad people, drugs etc was all we were hearing about even when those topics weren't being asked upon from whoever was asking questions about the city.

Trust me, any one who is looking to relocate to Ft. Lauderdale (or South Fl), Birmingham Al, Orlando Fl, Tampa, Fl., Statesboro, Ga., Pittsburgh, Pa.,
I know The Great The Bad and The Ugly of all of those cities and I am happy to give a perspective on all areas and not 1 sided.

Before finding this website- I knew nothing about the St. George and surrounding areas other than relatives who live in Hurricane and what they have told me. Its tough enough to think of relocating across country to a place that you are not too familiar with. Then throw into the mix of opinions of friends and family who want to put in their 2 cents. Then you get the people who are HATERS that live in the area of where you are wanting to move to (don't worry- I'm not saying anyone in particular). People make big moves like this for all kinds of reasons. Ours is to be closer to my husbands family so they can get to know our kids and so we can see them more than once every other year. Of course we will miss our friends and my family who live here in Ft. Lauderdale and close by. Thats why I am so big of hearing all sides of the great, bad and ugly, but it just seemed like nothing was being reported on other than the ugly.

Thanks everyone for your time and input!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George