U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM

18,450 posts, read 19,461,961 times

Advertisements

Looks like it's in the Hurricane area as they annexed it to the city. You can Google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,070 times
I have lived in st george for 5 years and my husband has lived here most his life. The area has changed so much in the last 10 years.

I am very very very picky about schools and I beg anyone relocating with kids to please research schools, visit schools (if possible) or call the schools. I have personally visited every school in the district. The best elementary schools (IMO) are Little Valley, Bloomington, and Bloomington Hills. The ones that are acceptable are Santa Clara, Arrowhead, Coral Canyon, Horizon, and Riverside. Then here in St george area the 6-7 grade is seperate, the only 2 6-7 centers I found okay were Sunrise Ridge, and Lava Ridge. Then middle school the only one was desert hills, the same for high school desert hills. So if you plan on living in one area or have kids in various grades and you care about schools the only areas to live in are little valley, washington fields (but on the far back near horizon school not the riverside section), bloomington hills or blomington ranches.
I have seen hurricane mentioned, it has okay schools, a pretty rough soci-econmic divide in town, the high school does not push college and has few activites unrelated to sports (not much as far as AP).
I am saying this as someone who is from new england and is picky about schools and I have one child that has special needs. If you have a child with special needs be in for a huge shock of the very few services offered at only a handful of schools.
Alot of times schools look nice and new on the outside here, but because of the housing prices, the class sizes are larger then ever and teachers do not have degrees. My child had a subsitute for 1 full year! New teachers also seem to flock to the better schools. St george is built weird, there is no one really nice area. There are million dollar homes next to trailers, so schools have alot of soci-econimic issues to deal with. There is very little middle class left.

On the dixie springs lots mentioned above. Please check into all the fees. If it is an undeveloped lot there are 30k+ in SID fees + 32K impacts fees on top of the purchase price. My husband I wanted to build, but almost every city st george, washington, santa clara hurricane have over 20k in impacts fees (some over 30K) on top of the lot price. Then alot of new developments require alot of expensive features, like certain kinds of stucco, full block walls, certain landscaping, certain roof trusses etc. They new developments will usually not allow solar power (with all the sun go figure?) or any type of green building. Makes me made to spend 100k on alot and they tell you the home you must build.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 8,246,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterbear35 View Post
IOn the dixie springs lots mentioned above. Please check into all the fees. If it is an undeveloped lot there are 30k+ in SID fees + 32K impacts fees on top of the purchase price. My husband I wanted to build, but almost every city st george, washington, santa clara hurricane have over 20k in impacts fees (some over 30K) on top of the lot price. Then alot of new developments require alot of expensive features, like certain kinds of stucco, full block walls, certain landscaping, certain roof trusses etc. They new developments will usually not allow solar power (with all the sun go figure?) or any type of green building. Makes me made to spend 100k on alot and they tell you the home you must build.

Seems like it would be cheaper to find an existing home. Do you think it has changed alot because of the growth that occured there over the last 3 or 4 years.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,754 times
Default Moving to st. George

Hey, I'll be moving to St. George in the next few months. I'm single and 24, social, and love to have fun. I will be attending Dixie. Any suggestions on where I might live there?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

88 posts, read 336,992 times
Where is the largest concentration of retirees in St. George?
Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

24 posts, read 77,755 times
Hawk, the best bet is to check in with the St. George Senior Center. It's a huge two-story building and they can give you plenty of information. The retiree population swells considerably in the winter and then dwindles markedly in the late spring as the "snow-birds" return home to the north... and that even includes northern Utah.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM

11,283 posts, read 7,856,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobasteve06 View Post
Hey, I'll be moving to St. George in the next few months. I'm single and 24, social, and love to have fun. I will be attending Dixie. Any suggestions on where I might live there?
I imagine the area immediately around the College.
Much of the fun is located in Mesquite NV

Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,490 times
hi we are military and i was wondering what sait george has to offer

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,699 times
I plan on re-locating to St. George UT in August, I have a 7 year old daughter. We are LDS. Will be looking for a place to rent at first, probably for a year, 2-3 bedroom condo with a swimming pool.
Am looking in the Little Valley School area or Bloomington, Bloomington Hills, Arrowhead, Coral Canyon, Horrizon, riverside or Santa clara schools.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,240 times
I have heard that Coral Canyon elementary is good. I live in Coral Canyon. We are renting while waiting for our house to sale in Montana. My kids go to a charter school in Washington Fields that is amazing. There is lots of rentals in Coral Canyon for around a $1000 a month. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George