U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,467,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You will be just fine in St. George. From what I am hearing through talking to people (as I am going to move there too) is that most of the people there are transplants from other areas, or retired or going to college etc. Utah is not 98 percent mormon or whatever percentage that people want to throw out there. A long, long, long time ago it used to be but it's not now. I don't know anything about renting a house however. Maybe you will have to go to a real estate site for that as people can't really advertise on here.
This is reassuring. I always thought Southern Utah, and especially St. George was more mormon than N. Utah. I like mormons, but I didn't want to move someplace where as a protestant I felt like the odd man out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 AM

4,322 posts, read 8,265,490 times
No its not all mormon. Northern Utah would be more like that and contrary to what is thought its not 98% mormon. A lot of people from ourt of state have moved there especially California. Maybe not as many now as there are homes for sale everywhere.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear71 View Post
I will be moving to St. George, ut in the next couple of weeks. I would like to know how it is out there and everyone treats you if your not mormon. I do have teenageers and I want them to fit in but Im alittle worried they wont and they might have a hard time. Can anyone help me? My husband and I are pretty easy going people, we do like to drink I heard that it may be difficult to find alcohol is this true? We both work but we are tired of living in Las Vegas, not the place to raise kids. Please help. Im also looking for a 4 bd to rent.
My husband and I and our three kids (2 teens, 1 elementary) moved here in August. There are many mormons here and at first everybody will just assume you are one until you tell them otherwise, but it isn't bad. Also, there are liquor stores here that are stocked well. My kids have made quite a few friends and they really like it here. It is a great place to raise a family in my opinion. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM

550 posts, read 1,973,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterry View Post
There are many mormons here and at first everybody will just assume you are one until you tell them otherwise, but it isn't bad.
This is true - but once everyone knew I wasn't LDS, no one cared. There were plenty of non-LDS kids back in school (although Mormons did make up the majority, understandably), and no one really cared who was and wasn't.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 AM

163 posts, read 246,770 times
I've never lived in Utah, but I was in St. George yesterday. The mountains are spectacular, as was Zion, about 40 miles away. The city itself seemed rather 'boom town'-ish to me, with tons of big-box stuff, but I really liked the setting of it.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,843 times
There are actually many homes for rent since so many for sale are not selling. Pearl rentals has quite a few and they are pretty reasonable.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,586 times
St George is an awsome town to retire in. I have lived here 6 years and we have had about 10 windy days in all. It gets hot here for about 2 and 1/2 months a year but beautiful.... most eveyone does their business in the am and holes up for the rest of the day. The other 7 1/2 months are beautiful There is very little crime....no grafitti...no homeless and the whole town is really clean. If you like biking or hiking, there is an abundant supply of both. There are miles of bike and hiking trails plus you are really near some of the most senic National Parks anywhere. The weekly traffic jam is between 5 pm and 5:20 Pm daily. It don't get any better than that. It has 9 golf courses and you can play year round. The schools are excellent. There are churches for everyone. Mesquite NV is only 35 miles away for gambling if you are inclined.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 AM

9,206 posts, read 9,280,929 times
We own a second home in Ivins (just next to St. George). I ultimately plan on retiring in the area. I think there is much to recommend St. George as a community. It is a beautiful place with comparatively warm weather in the winter. Although, summers are very hot. There are many outdoor activities that are possible. For example, our home is practically next door to Snow Canyon State Park. There are bicycle and hiking paths that stretch all the way from our home to downtown St. George. The area is about 50 miles from Zion National Park. Lake Powell is perhaps 100 miles away.

Liquor is available at state run liquor stores.

The city is just big enough that there is plenty of shopping and a brand new hospital with good medical care.

I would have some reservations if I were non-LDS about moving into the area and raising a family here because it is heavily Mormon. At the very least, I would want a support network such as family or a church I could count for activities for my children to be involved in.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,586 times
Default Distances

It is 158 miles from st george to page (lake powell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
we own a second home in ivins (just next to st. George). I ultimately plan on retiring in the area. I think there is much to recommend st. George as a community. It is a beautiful place with comparatively warm weather in the winter. Although, summers are very hot. There are many outdoor activities that are possible. For example, our home is practically next door to snow canyon state park. There are bicycle and hiking paths that stretch all the way from our home to downtown st. George. The area is about 50 miles from zion national park. Lake powell is perhaps 100 miles away.

Liquor is available at state run liquor stores.

The city is just big enough that there is plenty of shopping and a brand new hospital with good medical care.

I would have some reservations if i were non-lds about moving into the area and raising a family here because it is heavily mormon. At the very least, i would want a support network such as family or a church i could count for activities for my children to be involved in.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM

427 posts, read 1,154,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is reassuring. I always thought Southern Utah, and especially St. George was more mormon than N. Utah. I like mormons, but I didn't want to move someplace where as a protestant I felt like the odd man out.
It's quite LDS there too actually from what I've seen and heard. A lot of the retirees are LDS, and it has a rich LDS history. Just as much as the north. It's also not quite as diverse race wise with more whites than most areas in Utah. With that said, it is a rapidly growing area and I'm sure gaining more diversity every day. It's incredibly beautiful - it's like someone built a city in the Grand Canyon. It also has every imagineable chain restaraunt and store due to (I'm guessing) the many retirees and the money they bring. And you also have gambling resorts such as Mesquite half an hour away. (Vegas 2 hours)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George