Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 67,109 times

Advertisements

We are from Northern California (bay area) and my son is thinking about attending Dixie State College next fall. He has had difficulties with substance abuse in the past but has been clean & sober for about 7 months. The reason we are thinking about Dixie is that it appears to be a conservative atmosphere, more so than most colleges. We are concerned though that he will have a hard time socially with not being LDS. Does anyone have any experience with Dixie State? Do you think it is a good choice for a non-mormon looking for a more conservative atmosphere?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Bump- forget about the whole substance abuse thing just want to see if anyone has any experience with Dixie State..positive or negative. Ty

Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,127,578 times
Well I don't personally have any experience going to Dixie but my brother in law went there and seemed to have a good experience. He lived in the dorms and they were very nice. I did visit once and it seemed to be a nice atmosphere and a good place to go. He also had a sweet meal deal.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,446,580 times
My kids had friends that went there and they love it. I just love St. George area.....the beauty is incredible.
Where in the bay area are you from. I grew up in Fremont.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM

thanks dreameyes & chickrae...We are from Pleasanton and I agree the St. George are is beautiful. We have looked at homes there and we wish we could move but our jobs will most likely keep us here for awhile longer.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM

575 posts, read 1,772,881 times
My niece seemed to fit in fine at Dixie and she's not mormon, but she also attended a predominently mormon high school, so it wasn't a completely new experience for her.

I know her first few months in Utah were tough; but how much of that was due to her not being mormon and how much was just adjusting to a new situation is hard to say.

Good luck to your son, lots of important decisions being made at that age.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,446,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reech View Post
thanks dreameyes & chickrae...We are from Pleasanton and I agree the St. George are is beautiful. We have looked at homes there and we wish we could move but our jobs will most likely keep us here for awhile longer.
Used to love that Pleasanton Fair

Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM

14 posts, read 29,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reech View Post
We are from Northern California (bay area) and my son is thinking about attending Dixie State College next fall. He has had difficulties with substance abuse in the past but has been clean & sober for about 7 months. The reason we are thinking about Dixie is that it appears to be a conservative atmosphere, more so than most colleges. We are concerned though that he will have a hard time socially with not being LDS. Does anyone have any experience with Dixie State? Do you think it is a good choice for a non-mormon looking for a more conservative atmosphere?

Thanks
Hi Mom & Dad...Yes Dixie State 'University' is a conservative institution with a lot of Mormon influnce...
which is not a bad thing! However, it's your son's choice of the type he associates with, that is the problem. As I am quite sure, at the present time he could, more than likely, go down the block and find 'what ever' he wants. And St.George certainly has about anything one is searching for...so again it's
up to your son and what/who he chooses. I sincerely congratulate him/and you (it's hard) on his 7-months of soberity. I am a Professor Emeritus of Dixie and after 27-year there, your request brougt
back a delightful momory. I pickuped a new student at the airport. She had flown in from Boston...
As we were driving down the blvd. and I was pointing out the 'sights', she ask if she might ask a
concerning question. I aswered, "Of course"! And she abruptly ask, "What's a Mormon"? I, smiled
and explained to her what I quoted to Ashley555 on this site. I encouraged her to get involved with Mormons and their church activites, as they a very, very social, but just make it clear that she doesn't want to 'be preached to', but would like to be friends!
It is amazing what a successful two years she and many others had with that small bit of advice and
not being afraid of religion. "If one is secure in their own beliefs, then why should they be a problem"?
I can say this, as I came to Dixie in 1969 for an employment interview, I had all the same thoughts
and fears of entering into a prdominately community (City and College...demigrphs have changed) that you and your son are going through...27 years later, it was the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George