Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,476 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to St George by the Summer of 2010. We are currently in Colorado and want to get away from the snow and cold. We are trying to figure out which area would be best for us. We are a married couple with an 8 year old son. We are non-LDS. We love hiking and biking and aren't much into nightlife. Very family oriented, but want an area where our son can make friends pretty easily.

We were looking into about four different elementary school boundary areas.

1 - Sunset Elementary (South of W Sunset Blvd, West of N Bluff St
2 - Coral Cliffs Elementary (North of W Santa Clara Dr, West of N Dixie Downs Rd
3 - Santa Clara Elementary (Santa Clara)
4 - Red Mountain Elementary (Ivins)

Would love to get someone's input into these schools/areas.

We have pretty much narrowed down to these four, because we want our son to attend Lava Ridge Intermediate, Snow Canyon Middle and Snow Canyon High.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,464,259 times
Hi Angela I am a senior at Snow Canyon high school and I love it, it's a great school with lots of school spirit. My sisters go to Coral Cliffs and they like it. They have met lots of new friends and they're teachers are good. They have lots of activities like dads and doughnuts and moms and muffins where parents get to go over in the mornings and enjoy breakfast with their kids. Every Friday the elementary schools in washington county get out about an hour early. They're called early out fridays, all grades use to have them but it got cancelled for older kids now. I guess its just a nice break for the kids but everyone loves it My other sis goes to Sc middle and she says the teachers are really nice.

Snow Canyon H.S. and M.S. are rumored to have the highest percentage of kids using drugs in washington county but I don't think it's that extreme, maybe a few kids but of the 3 years i've gone there its not very common. So i doubt you have to worry too much.

It snows here every year! usually get about 2 inches but thats nothin compared to what your use too. I uploaded some pics on the St. George profile page that show some snow pics, they should update it soon.

This is a great place for hiking I go everyday> in the hills above coral cliffs there are a bunch of trails up there it"s great
hope this helped! good luck with everything

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,889,907 times
Do you have jobs that will travel? Employment is very tough in St. George, and the pay is not great.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Blues_Jade24,

Thanks so much for the information. We will be visiting in May to look around. I can't imagine the drug issue could be any worse than where we are right now in Aurora Colorado. And, yes, I can definitely handle a couple inches of snow a year. Our average snowfall here is about 60 inches. I really appreciate your input :-)

Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM

kwm03160,

Yes, I'm a little worried about finding a decent paying job. I currently work in Human Resouces, Benefits and Payroll. I also have accounting, receptionist and general office admin in my background. So, basically, any office job will work for me. Also, we can get a much cheaper home in St George, so our expenses would drop quite a bit.

My husband works in data imaging, but he is willing to do just about anything for the opportunity to move.

We wouldn't move until/unless one of us gets a job there first.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM

14,304 posts, read 14,099,588 times
What has been said above is true. Wages in St. George are not high. Its primarily a community of either retired people, or people working at low wages in the service industry. I've often wondered where the people who work in the hotels, restaurants, the two Walmart stores, and other stores live. Property values are still too high, despite the recession and the fact that values have come down some from a very high peak.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Make sure you have a secure job before you move to St. George. And, have a plan in case you lose that job.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 29,833 times
My wife cried when I got military orders to leave Colorado, her first question was "can I leave too?"

You definitely need to have a job lined up if you move to St. G. There are few "starter" homes or jobs. (I've got one I'd be willing to let go for $250K, 6 bedroom, 3 bath...etc.) Now that the boom has almost bottomed out it would be wise to try to find homes now, most of the low end foreclosures are already gone.

No issues with being non-Mormon, people like to complain about it, but most of the people I've met that do, used to be Mormon and have the personality that says that they have to blame everyone except themselves for their situation.

My kids go to Dixie and the biggest problems we have run into is when our kids skip school. The schools are good, especially in comparison to anything south. our last 2 years in CA we home schooled our kids.

If your children are allowed to walk out of the house they will find friends. Be prepared for people to ask if you are Mormon, and cool off a little when you are not. But if you just be a "good neighbor" they will warm up to you again quickly. The Mormon church is used as a "jumping off point" for getting to know people and too many "Utards" don't know how to initially react to people who are not already part of their group. I think it is because they just don't leave their comfort zone often enough. Once they get to know you, you will be fine.

My son and daughter went to Sunset Elem. It is a great school. If you end up living in the Dixie Downs school area, ask for your child to be transfered. You will have to take him to school, but it is well worth it. Their Principal has only been there a couple of years, but he and the teachers are outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George