U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM

14 posts, read 24,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.bacon82 View Post
My husband and I are going to be moving to St. George within the next two months and are getting nervous on if we are going to fit in and meet people. We come from Pennsylvania and are not mormon. We are very outgoing people and love to meet new people but being non mormon are we going to have a problem? Also, we enjoy going out to dinner and enjoying a night out. Does nightlife even exist in this town? We love the climate and the outdoor activities but we are concerned about the ability to meet friends and not be discriminated against because we arent mormon. Also, we plan on starting a family and I have read children have a hard time if they arent mormon. Lastly, if anyone has a in site on the current economic situation affecting the area I would appreciate it. Thanks! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Please read my quote to Ashley555 and the parents concerened about their son going away to Dixie
College. If you are friendly with your neighbors, you will find they are, more than likely, they are the kindess and most friendly people you will ever meet. Just ask them to please not try to 'convet' you, you would like they friendship...I think you might be amazed And no, this is not a 'lively partying city', but you must try the Painted Pony and George's for lunch/dinner (they serve beer & cocktails) and there is a very nice Elks Club. Mesquite, NV is just down I-15 about 35 minutes that has what most Nevada cities/towns has only on a smaller scale. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM

119 posts, read 180,845 times
I really think it depends on what phase of life you are at. If you are retiring to St George, there should be no issues. If you are young and have no kids, there should be no issues. Being a family with school age kids can be tricky. I found it easy when my kids were small. Boys seem to be easier especially if your son joins scouts. I saw no issues with boys until high school and it was only in academic planning. The high schools only carry information on Utah higher education. My child planned on a competetive out of state school. Most of his friends are planning on mission (the age just dropped to 18) and are not taking the AP classes and college level work and are very focused on mission. Luckily my son could care less about the mission talk and concentrates on academics.

For girls it has been hard. I admit my daughter goes to a school that is almost 100% LDS but it also has some of the best test scores, behavior, standards and teachers. My daughter has had a much harder time since girls talk earlier about marriage, kids, missions and college. Boys seem to be into weight lifting , basketball scouts and video games. My daughter has a select group of friends(the odd bunch, some LDS some not) but she is ignored by the elite group of multi-generational LDS girls. She is afriad to say she might not want a more then one kid, or wants to go to graduate school and doesnt want to think about marriage till 25 because some girls really come down hard on her. Tween girls are already talking about early marriage and kids(alot of it is because their older siblings are married and married at 18/19). Most of her classmates are aunts and uncles already.
i think it is an odd landlocked place for kids to grow up. As I watch kids grow up, they play sports, do the scout thing, go to church, but don;t seem to leave Utah much(I would say besides disneyland trips, and visiting salt lake 50% of the kids never see another major city. They are 18 and have never gone to a real museum, been to ethnic resturants, or seen other ways of life. It is just a lack of diversity passed down generationally. By the time I was 10 I could tell you a little about many cultures and religions and I lived in a small new england town. During a recent geography bee only 2 kids even knew the smallest city (vacatican city) or what a pope was. Most kids are very nice and respectful but they are shocked to learn the whoe world isn't mormon. When I said there are over 1 billion Muslims and Catholics, they look shocked. These are bright honor students who should know basic world geography and history by now.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golightlygirl View Post
Wheel....
As a non-mormon, and a poster on this site for over 2 years, I feel your pain. However, saying that, I have lived in St George for over 2 years and it really isn't an issue. The group at Wendy's I wouldn't take personally. The lady at the gas station is a bit off setting, but not the norm. St George is a great place to live! There are lots of things to do and no crowds on Sundays! Its easy to get caught up in the feeding frenzy of mormon/non-mormon. Don't do it! You can have yukkie neighbors anywhere, just here, they won't steal your stuff!
I have lived here in SGU for nearly 44 years and it is nice to hear from an 'openminded, outgoing' person!
As I have stated in many of my former quotes..."If you are comfortable in your own religion/skin, then you shouldn't have a problem!" After all LIFE is what you make IT!
Good Luck The Desert Dove

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wonderful post! Plus, you've got Tuacahn! We drive down from Salt Lake every year to go to it. During the daytime, I shop or lay out by the motel pool while my husband golfs on one of St. George's fabulous courses.

Yes, a wonderful quote!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Desert Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiMer View Post
I lived in St George for almost 3 years (as a non-mormon). I loved the hot, dry summers, and the mild winters- Just enough of a dusting of snow that it looks pretty, but not enough to have to drive in it or shovel it. There were tons of sports and recreation groups year round for both kids and adults. Zion National Park is only an hour away, Las Vegas is 2 hours. There were some bars and such, but not a lot of party scenes other than in people's backyards. It is not difficult to find a good drink, though. There is very little crime, and overall, very friendly people. I was Anglican when I lived there, and I made lots of wonderful friends from many different religions. I had no problems feeling left out or being pressured into attending whatever church. If you look for the good, you will find it. If you look for the bad, you will find it. That's how it is in most cities.

It is interesting how different people look at things differently! This person gets it "totally right"! If you look for the best, you will find it and if you are looking for the bad, you will fine that also. Make your
choice!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
As a lifetime Mormon who has lived both inside and outside Utah, I want to add my two cents here.

A non-Mormon moving to Utah (or other Mormon-populated areas in the West) should know some things: Mormons who are devout at their religion are trying to live by a very high standard. (We often fail at it but keep trying.) Mormons take Jesus literally when he says in the Bible to be “perfect, even like my Father in Heaven is perfect.” Being Mormon is about growing to be a better person - more honest, a better parent and spouse, more educated, etc. Needless to say, it keeps us busy. We spend a lot of time working for our families and taking care of our kids. Our congregations (“wards”) also ask for a lot of our time. Our wards are also pretty tight-knit and we do a lot of activities together. So being Mormon is a lot like being in a hard-core self-improvement club.

Because our aims are so loftily, it is even more dramatic when we fall short. And we do, even those who are trying. Then there are of course those who are not trying - some “Mormons” will cheat you, etc. As my one cousin said, “The problem with Utah is that even the prostitutes are Mormon.”

Another thing is lack of diversity. Utah is mostly white, middle class, Mormon, Republican. I think the lack of diversity hurts the state. It’s too easy here to live an echo chamber, where you hear only the same ideas. That’s one reason why I have enjoyed living outside Utah.

Now a lot of characteristics of Utah are actually just characteristics of the American West in general. People in the West value self-reliance and look suspiciously at the Federal government. The West is fairly isolated geographically, and surprisingly on the other hand it’s also the most urbanized part the the US - most people live in cities (maybe because it’s mostly desert here?)

Why are Mormons so Republican? As a left-leaning independent this baffles me a little. There is plenty in Mormon history and theology that is amenable to what the Democrats believe (Jesus said take care of the poor and needy, the value of community, etc.) Utah was not always staunch Republican, historically. I think Utahns fell in love with Reagan and haven’t looked back since then. (Personally, I think we Americans all are too devoted to party and ideology these days - we need to listen to all sides and then compromise to find practical solutions.)

There has been a lot of good advice here already to a non-Mormon moving to Utah, that I will reiterate: My advice is to come with an open and positive attitude. Be friendly. Expect some missionary-minded encounters - Mormons are just trying to save your soul as a loving service to you, don’t be offended. Try to understand and be understood. Respectfully share your diverse opinions and experiences - heaven knows we need them here.

If you come across provincial or narrow-minded individuals, do what good Mormons would do for you if the situation were reversed: pray for that person that they will one day grow out of their weaknesses.

As you learn about Mormons, be aware that there is a lot of disinformation out there. (Tip: The Book of Mormon musical is not a good place to start.) Mormons are very poorly understood, overall. Wikipedia is pretty accurate so start there.

Mormons are more interesting than they sometimes appear. In your Utah neighborhood are people who have lived in 100 different countries and speak 100 different languages, from their missionary days. If you feel a victim of bigotry or intolerance, then you share common ground with Mormons. Mormons came to Utah in the 1800s because they got tired of being burned out of their homes in the East. We still often feel misunderstood and discriminated against.

Lastly, beware stereotypes and over-generalization. "St. George Mormons" are not all the same - everyone in any group is a unique individual, even if some of them tend to share characteristics.

Last edited by tesuji; 03-30-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,877 times
We welcome all from PA! Just wish the CA's would stay in CA!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 AM

4,321 posts, read 8,251,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIck B. View Post
We welcome all from PA! Just wish the CA's would stay in CA!

There are many in St. George for sure, but they love the beauty of St. George.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 PM

100 posts, read 86,402 times
This has been one of the better threads that I've read on this forum & I've read a lot of them.

You may have to add a couple more CA people--one native, one not--to the population. I was a Californian well before I got there and will not bring any bad habits with me to UT. The political climate & ever increasing taxes are making the minus column larger than the plus column here. Been in SoCal for well over 50 years and still mostly enjoy it.

I drove through St George in the late '80s on the way to Colorado. It was a very small place then with little cottages along the road. I thought at the time that it would be a great place to retire. Back through there many years later & was amazed at all of the housing developments & shopping centers. Even with all that it still seemed like it might be a nice place to live.

Since then, I have ridden through there many times on motorcycle trips and the feeling hasn't changed. That is an amazing area to ride a bike in or do pretty much anything. Last year I got a full day tour of the area from a local that I met after a trip to Bryce Canyon. After that I have spent a lot of time on Zillow looking at houses.

My wife and I are pretty outgoing, no kids, don't really entertain but love conversation, don't do nightlife--past that stage already--non LDS, just take everyone as they are with no pre-conceived notions. Hope this will fit in there.

One question: I receive medical care at the VA as the hospital is just down the street from me here. The closest VA medical center to St George is in Las Vegas. Is it possible to go there for care or do I have to go to SLC?

Thanks for looking and please don't be to hard on me. I'm old & I'm trying....

Old 05-20-2015, 04:30 PM

102 posts, read 170,664 times
My boyfriend and I plan on moving to St. George soon as well. He is Hispanic and I'm white but we're not worried about discrimination. We've been down there a couple times already and aren't worried about the Mormons. We currently live in Idaho Falls where there are a lot of Mormons as well so it's not much of a change. Based on what we've seen there's actually a lot of diversity-many Hispanic people and non-religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George