Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:29 PM

25 posts, read 60,727 times

Advertisements

I am retired (about 9 years now) and am looking for a retirement-type community to move to.

From somewhere, I came across one of those "10 great places to retire to" articles and it said that Park City & St George were becoming very popular places to retire to. I could never afford Park City but St George sounded very appealing.

I had the impression from the article that a lot of these recent retirees are non-LDS (like me). But I read somewhere on City Data that there are still A LOT of LDS in St George and it would be very hard to make friends if the LDS shunned you.

Clarification please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rain_Spirit View Post
I am retired (about 9 years now) and am looking for a retirement-type community to move to.

From somewhere, I came across one of those "10 great places to retire to" articles and it said that Park City & St George were becoming very popular places to retire to. I could never afford Park City but St George sounded very appealing.

I had the impression from the article that a lot of these recent retirees are non-LDS (like me). But I read somewhere on City Data that there are still A LOT of LDS in St George and it would be very hard to make friends if the LDS shunned you.

Clarification please?
There are a lot of LDS anywhere you go in Utah. Nobody is going to "shun" you. That's not something LDS people do. If you were much younger and had small children, it's possible that they would not makes friends as easily as they would in a neighborhood where the kids who are friends with each other also go to church and church-sponsored activities together. That just kind of makes sense.

There are a huge number of retirees in St. George and many are not LDS. What kinds of things can you see yourself doing to get to know people? I think that's a key question. You've got to be willing to extend yourself a bit and get involved in activities where you'll meet other like-minded people.

You've got to be able to take some pretty hot weather in the summer, but I suspect you already know that. You'll enjoy the winters, though, and the scenery and outdoor recreational opportunities outside of St. George are unsurpassed.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 12,067 times
Don't move to St. George. Trust me. Just don't. It is the living worst. I'm sure there are tons of LDS folks that are going to tell you otherwise, but it is an awful culture. I have been here for a while and ready to leave. LDS culture is extreme passive aggressive and judgmental. The city of St. George is corrupt from one end to the other. Read about the current events at DSU. Most people who are not LDS and do not intend to become LDS do not last. Preserve your sanity and head the warning. It is a messed up place.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 AM

390 posts, read 755,405 times
O.K.....Not LDS, do not intend to become LDS, and still this place is great. Hotter than blue blazes in summer tho, going to be 110 on friday, ugh! Trust no one's opinion that has JUST joined this forum, (July 2018) yet says they have been living here awhile. Been here over 13 years, wouldn't leave (except trip to cooler weather in summer).

Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
I agree with kcoliver. St. George is a great place overall, whether you are LDS, or not. Pleasant experiences there.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,859 times
Default culture/religion differences

yes, the non LDS will feel the separation....sigh! they will come from the point of view: you LDS? I say, no , will it affect our relationship? they say, Oh no, I just thought you would know the same people.

but boy, lots start a conversation by asking or STATING , we are LDS...waiting for you to reply the same.
I have learned to keep saying:'will it affect our relationship?' and pleasantly smile,and defend myself a bit.

study how they dress and it can be interesting...

Old 08-11-2018, 11:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth May View Post
yes, the non LDS will feel the separation....sigh! they will come from the point of view: you LDS? I say, no , will it affect our relationship? they say, Oh no, I just thought you would know the same people.

but boy, lots start a conversation by asking or STATING , we are LDS...waiting for you to reply the same.
I have learned to keep saying:'will it affect our relationship?' and pleasantly smile,and defend myself a bit.

Lol. That's a great comeback. I should start using that line.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth May View Post
Huh? Do you mean they don't wear short-shorts and halter tops? Or do you mean they dress in pioneer garb? I'm a Mormon, and if I do say so myself, I am one of the most fashion-conscious people I know.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,250 times
I'm "non-LDS" and my experience with LDS church members has been overwhelmingly positive. They are people after all, and I think they're wonderful. I find them to be genuine, sincere, warm and welcoming. Above average in those things actually. My wife and I love it here.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWayHome View Post
Don't move to St. George. Trust me. Just don't. It is the living worst. I'm sure there are tons of LDS folks that are going to tell you otherwise, but it is an awful culture. I have been here for a while and ready to leave. LDS culture is extreme passive aggressive and judgmental. The city of St. George is corrupt from one end to the other. Read about the current events at DSU. Most people who are not LDS and do not intend to become LDS do not last. Preserve your sanity and head the warning. It is a messed up place.
"Human nature!''

Without an actual date to get out of here, you will still be here for a long time!

"extreme(ly) passive aggressive and judgmental."
You, writing this, are not?

I am trying to figure out what "passive aggressive" is ...
Apparently, it is:
of or denoting a type of behaviour or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation, as in procrastinating, pouting, or misplacing important materials.

This is what an LDS person is like? Sounds like any other run of the mill American to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George