Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM

76 posts, read 212,742 times

Advertisements

Hello,

The wife and I will be visiting UT/AZ in June, mainly to scout out the logistics of moving to the area. We're flying to Vegas, renting a car and making the question mark route around the grand canyon down to Phoenix.

Places of interest to live/work would be St George/Hurricane or Sedona/Prescott or Phoenix. I've done the drive before, on a leisure canyoneering trip doing Zion's toughest to Escalante, to Muley Point, Mexican Hat, Native American lands, Rt 66 and back to Vegas to load up on In-n-Out before flying home.

Anyways, just curious where you'd recommend us staying? We're probably going to spend a day/night in St George to check the town out, follow a realtor around and get the general vibe. We then may drive to Lake Powell, and possibly stay in page. But, we're open to some unique place to stay along thew way. Kanab?

Just curious on any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Hello,

The wife and I will be visiting UT/AZ in June, mainly to scout out the logistics of moving to the area. We're flying to Vegas, renting a car and making the question mark route around the grand canyon down to Phoenix.

Places of interest to live/work would be St George/Hurricane or Sedona/Prescott or Phoenix. I've done the drive before, on a leisure canyoneering trip doing Zion's toughest to Escalante, to Muley Point, Mexican Hat, Native American lands, Rt 66 and back to Vegas to load up on In-n-Out before flying home.

Anyways, just curious where you'd recommend us staying? We're probably going to spend a day/night in St George to check the town out, follow a realtor around and get the general vibe. We then may drive to Lake Powell, and possibly stay in page. But, we're open to some unique place to stay along thew way. Kanab?

Just curious on any thoughts.

.................................................. ..........................................

There are alot of nice places to stay. One I can easily recommend is Parry's Lodge in Kanab. Its old time. Its where the movie stars used to stay many years ago when they came to make the old western films around Kanab. The Best Western Red Hills Motel on the south end of town would be newer and nice lodging as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Default THanks all

Some good stuff. Appreciate it from you both.

I've traveled all over the world and am pretty comfortable winging it upon arrival. Rarely reserve ahead unless weekends or such. Kind of like to feel it out and ask around.

Luckily I've done the hardcore Zion thing 3 times, so don't need to get my fix (but want it) this time around. Will drive through and do most tourism via car.

Next question. Roadside stands/stops. I absolutely love them. Anyone know of any on the way down to Phoenix? A few years back I actually drove out to Mexican Hat and found the most amazing place -The Swinging Steak? Guy pulled a bud out of the icy cooler and threw 24oz steaks onto a huge medieval grill that literlly swing over the fire pit. Was fantastic just coming the afternoon after camping atop Muley Point on the night of a lunar eclipse, without another soul there. Stunning area.

I can't wait for this trip. Really though, I tell my wife, we have business to do. Bring the car GPS so we can plug addresses in and visit homes, neighborhoods, etc. From St George to Phoenix and anywhere in between.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 PM

239 posts, read 952,623 times
Looks like a great trip! Might also want to see Pine Valley, Diamond Valley or Dammeron Valley, all rural areas west of St. George. Also Sand Hollow and Coral Canyon are newer areas. Santa Clara is nice too!
Have heard good things about here http://www.dreamkatcherslakepowell.com/index.html

Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Best Breakfast?

I'm now considering a stay 1 night in St George, then day trip to Wire Pass slot canyons in Pariah. Did that a few years back. Stunning.

So where's the best breakfast (not fancy, just good old fashioned home cooking) in St George?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 PM

239 posts, read 952,623 times
Bear Paw Cafe, can be crowded
Fairway Grill

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
If you do overnight in St. George be sure to visit Snow Canyon less than ten minutes drive north of the city. It's an incredible place with real sand dunes, petrified sand dunes, user-friendly mountains, canyons, walking paths, lava caves, and beautiful multi-hued vistas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George