U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 78,314 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dogmom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 77,249 times
Hello there again-- I think thompson answered the dress stuff pretty well. In general people here seem to dress just about like anywhere else, with the exception of some of the FLDS communities nearby who can be very conservative/traditional.
The joke about shopping on Sundays is true-- with perhaps the exception of the Wal-Mart on Telegraph, which is packed all the time regardless.
As a side: when I suggested avoiding some parts of Washington it was the older section I was refering to as another poster noted. The newer subs are quite nice and close to lots of ammenities. If you want to be close to Tuacahn you may consider parts of Santa Clara or Ivins. If a bit of a drive doesn't bother you there are tons of possibilities.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 AM

24 posts, read 110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson84606 View Post
I've seen that the lastest craze for young people is kind of a punk look with dark makeup and hair while st. george always used to be very blonde, very, very blonde.
Wow! That trend must have started in the past few months! I was living with my folks in the Saint George area last summer, and blonde was definitely still very in back then!

@Wisconsinite: Dress in Saint George is pretty typical of the southwest in general. Slight and light in the summer — a bit more in the winter.

It is worth noting that the spiders in the area are often black widows. Also, I know that when I was a kid, scorpions were commonplace. Seems to me I even remember a wild tarantula once. That was twenty-five years ago, and I was living kind of on the edge of the developed area at the time. Plus there were a lot fewer people back then (like, only-one-stop-light-in-the-county fewer). Nowadays, I never see scorpions where I always used to be able to catch them with my brothers. I don't know whether that's because they've kind of been driven out of the whole area from habitat destruction, or whether they are still commonly found on the fringes of development. If that latter one is the case, then some of the new subdivisions in Santa Clara and Ivins might still have scorpions from time to time.

Lizards (Uta stansburiana being the most common species) are also kind of common, but they aren't inclined to go into buildings. They prefer the warmth. And they're cute anyway!

If overcrowding is a concern, then you might be planning to move again after a while. As was said earlier, Saint George is growing fast and with little sign of slowing down. It seems like everytime I'm there, it's bigger than the time before. It will be overcrowded soon enough.

As far as fitting in goes, I have to agree with what most of the others have said. When my family first moved to the area from California twenty-five years ago, the only reason we were accepted was because we had old roots in the place — my grandpa graduated from Dixie High and my ancestors were among the first settlers of Washington County (you can see life-size statues of them in downtwon Washington). And even with credentials like that, we were still seen as California outsiders and it was tough (especially for my sister) to make friends.

All that has changed. The few who are from the old-line families have really lost the battle to keep it a town for good-old-boys. It's an open city now. Most of the people there are not part of the old establishment, and they'll be pretty welcoming of newcomers. I do think a lot more of the growth has been LDS growth than one earlier poster suggested, and that might make a difference for folks who aren't LDS in terms of how you're treated. Maybe. But just about anyone can fit in there these days.

One caveat though. One of the biggest problems I've seen folks who aren't LDS have in predominantly LDS areas is that their kids can't make friends. It's not that way for everyone, but it is something that happens. And it can be devastating for a school-aged kid. Often, when they can make friends, it's with kids who aren't the best influence, either.

For example, I had a good friend there when I was growing up who was a Lutheran. But moving away, when I came back to visit, I found that he had taken to hanging out with stoners. It's kind of like all the misfits just have to stick together, whether they're stoners or Lutherans or whatever. Pretty sad, if you ask me. That's just one example, of course, but I could offer hundreds more. It's traditionally been a pretty common problem.

However, it is a problem that can be overcome by a child with enough outgoingness and motivation to participate in society. And it's a problem that occurs to varying degrees in varying areas. It might not be such a problem in Saint George anymore — I don't know. I would guess that Saint George and Salt Lake are the two places in all the Mormon-dominated areas in the region where someone would be least likely to have to face that problem. But the potential does exist and you ought to be aware of it and plan ahead to face the contingency if need be. Having a good strong youth group in your one church could be a big benefit to your kids — you may want to check with the local pastors about that.

And one more thing — most folks in the West don't know the difference between Latins and Mexicans. The thought of non-Mexican Latins seems just kind of oxymoronic to them. So you and your family will generally be regarded as Mexicans by all but those who come to know you best. Don't be too hard on people when they ignorantly call you Mexicans (not that I think you will — until you've had to put up with it for four or five years straight, that is). Just pleasantly, patiently, and politely inform them that there is in fact a Spanish-speaking world of some size and considerable cultural value outside of Mexico (though perhaps not quite so condescendingly as I just did, either!), and that your heritage lies in the Caribbean. Then be ready to inform them that your not like the people in Cool Runnings.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks TUMO & wESTERN MAN...I take in all the info I receive and do appreciate all the insite.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM

242 posts, read 756,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinite View Post
Thanks a million Tumo & Thompson84606,

p.s. Thompson...Wwisconsin is a beautiful state and people are very nice...there a good paying jobs. If interested, there is wausau, west bend, wisconsin rapids, stevens point, eau claire, minocqua, boscobel...I just hate the cold/snow....and drugs...well there everywhere, unfortunately.

Well, coming from Wisconsin you won't have to worry about the gigantic mosquitoes that can carry you away! Also, not having humidity is really nice, very strange but really nice. I'm from northern Minnesota myself and it is a huge weather shock out here. My skin hurts lately because it is so dry so bring lotion by the truckloads.

Good luck on the move!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Thanks Bordergirl...I can't wait to feel the heat...!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,319,701 times
Good post, Western Man!

But I had a good chuckle when you said: "It's kind of like all the misfits just have to stick together, whether they're stoners or Lutherans or whatever."

Putting Lutherans in the same category of misfits as stoners is amusing!

I know what you meant as I'm sure most Lutherans understood what you meant but it struck me as funny nonetheless.

--'rocco

Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Good post, Western Man!

But I had a good chuckle when you said: "It's kind of like all the misfits just have to stick together, whether they're stoners or Lutherans or whatever."

Putting Lutherans in the same category of misfits as stoners is amusing!

I know what you meant as I'm sure most Lutherans understood what you meant but it struck me as funny nonetheless.
I thought it was sad (and frankly rather sick) that Lutheran kids or any other kids that weren't Mormon were treated like stoner kids when I was living there! Of course, that was just my experience, and it was a while ago. I hope things have changed. But when I was a kid there, that's the way it was. I thought I had included the story about my Lutheran friend who got treated like that.

I didn't mean to say, though, that I think there's little difference between the average Lutheran kid and the average stoner kid. Please don't anyone think I was saying that! (Especially not my Lutheran in-laws!) I was just saying that's the way non-Mormon kids seemed to be treated rather often when I was a kid in the Saint George area twenty years ago. And from what I've heard, it's still tough for kids who aren't Mormon to make friends in a Mormon community.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM

9,909 posts, read 22,100,664 times
I lived in St.George from March 1994 to January 2000. I am not LDS and never had a problem by not being one. Sure, they try to convert you, but just say no if you don't want to be converted.
I got along fine there, was active outdoors, hiked alot, biked alot, spent alot of time at Zion national park every weekend. Kolob canyon, Snow canyon, etc, all hiking. Was in great shape then too. lol

It has grown considerably since I left and I plan on going back there someday. It's a very beautiful area, can't be beat with scenery. Never got bit by a mosquito all the time I lived there. Which was very nice! Can't say the same for living in Calif. Got eaten alive up there.

Despite what everyone says about not being able to make friends because your not mormon, I think if you are an outgoing sort, you can make lots of friends. So some of the lds friends may try to convert you, but it's what they are taught since they were kids. It's just what they do. Let them down gently. Or hide from them. Your choice.

By the way, it's not just mormons that try to convert you in utah. The jehovah's witnesses do it too. And they were always more agressive. If you didn't answer your front door, they would go around back to see if you were there. Then peek in a window. etc. Used to drive us nuts as we were hiding inside.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Despite what everyone says about not being able to make friends because your not mormon, I think if you are an outgoing sort, you can make lots of friends. So some of the lds friends may try to convert you, but it's what they are taught since they were kids.
For adults, I think you're definitely right. I suspect the same is even true of kids, but I don't know. Kids are often meaner to those that don't fit a particular preconception. I was only suggesting it might be a problem for kids to make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or