U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM

41 posts, read 133,665 times

Advertisements

Just arrived in town the other day wondering if there are other Slow Food adherents in or around SG? Trying to find a good place to get raw milk and cheese as well as eggs (ie someone who has a few chickens and is willing to sell some of their eggs would be the most ideal situation). Tried to get to the website of one dairy that sells raw milk but couldn't (finney farms). Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,343,500 times
I think Finney is located in Hildale, about 45 miles away. They do have a website:

Welcome to Finney Farm Home Dairy

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I think Finney is located in Hildale, about 45 miles away. They do have a website:

Yes I am aware of this but every time I try to access it I can't (there is some problem with the site). Either way it is a bit of a ways so I was wondering if there is anyone closer by who does have either of those things (chickens and cows and willing to sell eggs and milk) that locals may know of?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,343,500 times
It must be your DNS. I have no trouble accessing their site.

edit: I'd call or email them to see if they sell to any retail outlets in St. George or they may even know where in town you might be able to purchase such products. Their phone number and email are on their website. Let me know if you want it.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-06-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 15,769 times
Quote:

I read in the paper that they are at the Farmer's Market at Ancestor Square (corner Main St. and St. George Blvd.) on Saturday mornings.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
It must be your DNS. I have no trouble accessing their site.

edit: I'd call or email them to see if they sell to any retail outlets in St. George or they may even know where in town you might be able to purchase such products. Their phone number and email are on their website. Let me know if you want it.
Thanks for offering to do that but I won't put you through the trouble. I was just at Natural Grocers today and they said a few other people have expressed an interest in Raw Milk so they would be willing to be a drop off point for it (since its not legal in Utah to sell raw milk retail we would have to buy it direct from the farm)

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDear View Post
I read in the paper that they are at the Farmer's Market at Ancestor Square (corner Main St. and St. George Blvd.) on Saturday mornings.
And you know I was planning to go there this morning but something came up and I couldnt make it. I am going there for sure next week so thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 50,793 times
Default staheli farms/raw milk

You can schedule to come in and milk the cow yourself and get the raw milk, I'm pretty sure she'd let you come in and get some eggs as well. They milk the cows at 8am and 8pm. Her name is Sherri Reeder and she owns the farm out in Washington Fields, it's an amazing little place.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
Join the Utah Alliance for Raw Milk: Utah Alliance for Raw Milk (UT-ARM) | Facebook

Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 AM

9,157 posts, read 9,229,894 times
To each his own. I come from a family where my spouse is employed in the public health field. You do realize that "raw milk" is milk that hasn't been pasteurized and is therefore potentially full of harmful bacteria don't you? I guess an adult can drink whatever they want. I find a parent who would feed this concoction to their children to be highly irresponsible.

I'm not really interested in anecdotes like "Uncle Bim drank raw milk his whole life and was never sick for a day".

The reason raw milk cannot be sold in a grocery store or public place legally for human consumption is because its deemed unsafe by the weight of scientific evidence. Some have mentioned food poisoning as a possible complication of drinking raw milk. Believe me, its not the only disease you have to be concerned about. Unpasteurized milk is a perfect medium for transmitting diseases. Bacteria will thrive in it because they are life forms like we are.

The Utah Alliance for Raw Milk is a bunch of crackpots with a dangerous idea. They ignore or gloss over the problems and instead dwell on personal stories about the alleged benefits of raw milk. An educated person can see right through this. I could argue that wearing a necklace with a piece of sandstone in it prevents disease and that would be as "scientific" as maintaining what ARM argues.

I have to admit that one of the greatest mysteries in my life are people who reject proven approaches at staying healthy such as vaccination, avoiding tobacco, avoiding drinking alcohol to an excess, getting exercise, and eating a diet which is a good mixture of all food groups in favor of approaches like drinking raw milk, eating organic food, or taking vitamins. It may be unfair, though, to lump organic food and vitamins with raw milk. At least those don't appear to harm people. However, there is no scientific proof that any of them actually prolong life or prevent disease. (At least for people eating a normal, vitamin-rich diet)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George