U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM

138 posts, read 205,865 times

Advertisements

I am pretty familiar with the site, have used many times and received some real good information when needed. My wife and I have been planing for years to relocate when she completes her studies to become an RN. I have been in law enforcement for about 13 years and am looking to get back into uniformed patrol and out of investigations which I am currently in. Anyway, I have been given the invite to participate in the testing process for the City of Saint George Police. I realize this is just the beginning, but I must decide if we would consider the area. We have three younger children 14, 9 and 5. I have a brother that resides in the Las Vegas area and after researching living there found that we would prefer a more family focused area. We love the SW part of the country and getting out of the horrid winters in NW PA is one of the many reasons for our move. Any insight that one may have about our situation will be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times
I'll give you the pros and cons.

Pros

1. Mild winters.
2. Growing community with more and more stores, businesses, medical services, a college, and located in an area where you can get rapid access to national parks, national monuments, Lake Powell etc.
3. A beautiful area to live in surrounded by redrock canyons, hiking trails, and golf courses.
4. Low crime rate so far. I doubt you'll be too busy as an officer if you take the job.
5. Good air quality. Although, I worry about this because of the rapid influx of people.

CONS

1. Very little nightlife.
2. Most young people you'll meet are LDS and will spend most of their free time in either church or family activities. It may give you little chance to make friends and involve your family.
3. Schools there are overcrowded and underfunded as they are in most of Utah.
4. Summers are very hot.
5. A heavy percentage of the community are retired people who have moved there from out-of-state.

You could do much worse than St. George. However, if I had a family with young children, I might be reluctant to move there. I would worry if I were non-LDS about my kids being left out because they won't be going to church activities which are so prevalent in this culture. Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM

19,822 posts, read 56,009,102 times
Hot it is! Well above 100 degrees most of the summer, but the plus is the humidity is really, really low. Me, I couldn't take it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM

28 posts, read 173,622 times
garci, I know a couple of guys who work for SGPD and they seem to like it, but I've heard the testing process is kind of long. I believe they have a pretty good policy for paying you for your education since it may be tied to promotions (an AS or AA degree to test for Sgt, etc), unless that has been cut due to economic reasons. SGPD seems to fall between big city and small town departments. Some guys come from smaller depts for a step up and others use it as a stepping stone to a bigger dept. The sheriffs dept website will give you an idea of the level of criminal activity in southern Utah. https://news.washeriff.net/bookings/ They list the past 48 hours of bookings. It is entertaining at times. Even better when you see someone you know.
Your wife will probably be able to get a job as an RN and I think the schools are good. Obviously, as a police officer, you will find out quickly which schools and nieghborhoods are better than others before you buy a house. I have my preferences but I will let you figure that out for yourself. If you and your wife are willing to put some time into it, there are plenty of activities to keep your kids busy at school and in sports.
I read this site occasionally and comment rarely, since lots of questions start off with 'I'm not a Mormon, will I fit it?' and several posters offer answers that seem to not even live in St. George.
Anyway, St. George is a good place to live but it's not without it's problems, like everywhere else.
Good luck with the testing process.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM

52 posts, read 152,109 times
garci

With school aged kids SG is a great place. Alot of the natives complain about the schools, but I find them fine. Especially if you get into the Desert Hills school system.

Home prices are low now, so its a good time to come here and get a home.

Don't worry so much about the "mormon thing". At first (at least for me) it seemed overwhelming, but now its no biggie. Its a great, beautiful place to live and raise kids. As a cop, you might be a little bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George